Chat Crew 2010

Buehrle>Wood

I don't understand how IRC isn't user friendly. Maybe I'm a bit bias as I've been using it for the better part of a decade now, but it's pretty straight forward to set up and chat in. If you want to get more technical, you can, but it's not necessary for the basic purposes of most users.

Edited by Felix

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)
Well, for one, you have to download the program. That's one more step than just having a link. Next, it doesn't look pretty. Most importantly, there are no awesome sound clips to help express my emotions.

Huge plus: I can easily access an IRC chat room from my phone.

Well, for one, you have to download the program. That's one more step than just having a link. Next, it doesn't look pretty. Most importantly, there are no awesome sound clips to help express my emotions.

Last year, it was an IRC room that worked with a Java app for anyone that didn't know IRC.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
I hear that.

I was going to get the chat software that connects with invision, but my understanding was even though it's a pain in the ass, IRC was still preferred. Again, I defer to you all - I'll help however I can (even though I've been horrifically short on time the last couple of weeks and I know I'm swamped for the next couple, but I will make this a priority... at least for now you all have something...)

The flash-based chatroom I was looking at is garbage. I've PMed you a link with the java app files that we had last year for the IRC room. They're pre-configured, so just dump them somewhere on the server and show us the link. :D

Edited by BobDylan

Assuming it's set up the same way as last year, I don't see the negative of an IRC room (aside from the lack of sounds, which I always found annoying). If you want to use a java chat, you can. If you want to use an IRC client, you can. It gives people the choice of how they want to join the room.