Dye Coming Back? Sun-Times Article

BigSqwert

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
When this organization reaches the conclusion that we need to bring Dye back, it's time to call-up the kids and play them everyday.

i think i have to agree with you

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
"'I'm not going to a bad team, and I'm not playing for $1.5million."

Funny how Thome doesn't have a problem playing for $1.5 million. JD needs to get over himself. He's old, the market is bad, he can't play defense anymore, and he couldn't hit during the second half of last season. He's not getting Damon money, or even Teahen money.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Funny how Thome doesn't have a problem playing for $1.5 million. JD needs to get over himself. He's old, the market is bad, he can't play defense anymore, and he couldn't hit during the second half of last season. He's not getting Damon money, or even Teahen money.

I do think it's messed up how someone like Teahen would be making more than Dye.

Teahen never really impressed me that much yet. :-/

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)

Why does he need to get over himself? It sounds like he's got a dollar amount that he is willing to play for and doesn't want to accept less. He's earned over $70 million dollars in his career and I doubt he needs the money. Would you accept a job for 1/3-1/2 of what you thought you were worth if you didn't have to?

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
I do think it's messed up how someone like Teahen would be making more than Dye.

Teahen never really impressed me that much yet. :-/

Ha, ok. Dye cannot play anywhere on the field other than 1B, he an aging past his prime player with barely enough value to be on a roster according to every team in the league.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
Ha, ok. Dye cannot play anywhere on the field other than 1B, he an aging past his prime player with barely enough value to be on a roster according to every team in the league.

Has everyone forgotten about Dye claiming hitting .175 in 80+games was because the Sox "replaced" him with Rios?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
Would you accept a job for 1/3-1/2 of what you thought you were worth if you didn't have to?

Dye's production the in the second half last year was worth an 1/8th of what he thinks he's worth for a full season.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
From what I've heard, Dye hasn't faced live pitching since last September. Even if he did agree to come back as a DH on the cheap, I don't know that he'd even be an offensive upgrade over Kotsay.

That seems to be the point people are missing. He would be another .210 hitter for awhile. I get the impression he doesn't want to play baseball anymore.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)
That seems to be the point people are missing. He would be another .210 hitter for awhile. I get the impression he doesn't want to play baseball anymore.

Yep. It would be different if he was playing anywhere at this point, but he isn't. He can't help anyone right now.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
Dye's production the in the second half last year was worth an 1/8th of what he thinks he's worth for a full season.

my buddy just saw JD at the Palms in Vegas at 2:00 am this morning.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
Why does he need to get over himself? It sounds like he's got a dollar amount that he is willing to play for and doesn't want to accept less. He's earned over $70 million dollars in his career and I doubt he needs the money. Would you accept a job for 1/3-1/2 of what you thought you were worth if you didn't have to?

He can value himself at whatever dollar amount that he wants. But that doesn't mean that the rest of MLB needs to accept his over-inflated opinion of his current skill set.

How would Dye fit in as DH here?

Andruw Jones has been very very productive. Granted, that PROBABLY won't last the full season, but the only way you bring in JD is if there's some type of injury to Quentin or Jones that knocks them out for a long period of time.

Or a second half like Jones went through in TEX. At that point, the White Sox are probably out of contention anyway, so JD would just block getting at-bats from a part of the solution for our future teams.

I wish the Royals would sign him, they seem to enjoy picking random veterans to mix in with the young up-and-coming players (Guillen, Bloomquist, Meche, CoCo Crisp, Ankiel, Pods, Jacobs, Olivo, Kendall, Callaspo, etc.)