Replacing Jenks

fathom

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
Doesn't seem like Bobby is too happy with possibly being removed. It will be interesting if we go with Thornton as the closer, because it would be similar to how the Cubs moved Marmol to closer. When that happens, the 7th/8th innings you used to take for granted become a lot more difficult.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5175927

We would need another lefty besides Thorton since Randy Williams is awful, if Matt was to close. I would go with Santos, but not sure they want him pitching back to back days since he is relatively new to pitching still.

Jenks was asked by ESPNChicago.com if a change might be coming and that a meeting with Guillen and pitching coach Don Cooper might take place.

"That doesn't make sense," Jenks said.

Yeah, you have a 2.17 WHIP, 6.75 ERA and teams are hitting .350 off of you. Yes, Bobby that makes no sense why we shouldn't be considering moving you from the closer's role. In the words of Herm Edwards, HELLO?!?!

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 10, 2010 -> 01:21 AM)
mmmm I can't wait to see more of Raaaaaaaaandy in games since everyone wants Thorton to close. s***, he won't even get any chances to close cause we'll only have one other reliable guy in the pen with Serg.

Wait, you're saying we're wrong cause we want to see our best reliever be the closer?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 10, 2010 -> 02:23 AM)
I actually wouldn't mind at all Santos in that role. He has been dominant this season and is probably the guy for the future. If he got a chance and failed. I wouldn't be angry.

Reminds me of 2005 when people questioned if Jenks was ready for the role. At some point, stuff is just so overwhelming it can succeed in any role.

I don't care if we don't have another decent lefty, Thornton deserves the closer role. There is no one else from the bullpen that I feel safe with a one or two run lead. With Matt in there, I feel like we win the game. With anyone else, its 50-50.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
Reminds me of 2005 when people questioned if Jenks was ready for the role. At some point, stuff is just so overwhelming it can succeed in any role.

And just like in 2005 (minus our team's success at that point), the guy in question had two electric pitches. High 90s heat with a sharp, tantalizing breaking pitch.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
Wait, you're saying we're wrong cause we want to see our best reliever be the closer?

When he is the ONLY lefty you have in the pen and he can pitch multiple innings effectively, why single him out as the 9th inning guy? And if you say, "we'll use him in the 7-9", then he's not your closer anyway. I'd rather be able to use him in big moments in the 7th or 8th than limiting him to the 9th every couple days on the off chance we actually have a lead.

I don't trust Putz or Linebrink, I don't want to put that pressure on Serg yet, and I don't want to lose Thorton for the 3-4-5 hitters in the 8th just because he's our "closer" for the 9th. Closer by committee, depending on the situation and rest of the 2.5 decent guys we have in the pen.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/ind...reliever-usage/

… Instead of bringing in their best reliever when the game was on the line, in the seventh or eighth inning, which had been the practice in the past, [managers] saved him for the ninth. The late Dick Howser and Tony LaRussa were mostly responsible for this change in strategy.

Honestly, I agree. The best reliever should be the one to pitch in the tough situations, not just when it's the 9th inning.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
I don't care if we don't have another decent lefty, Thornton deserves the closer role. There is no one else from the bullpen that I feel safe with a one or two run lead. With Matt in there, I feel like we win the game. With anyone else, its 50-50.

You may not care, but the people who make the final decision do care.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 9, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)

And if that 1-2 run lead is in the 8th against the heart of their order? You want big Linebrink in there just to save Thorton for the bottom of their lineup in the 9th? I'll pass on that, thanks.

Jenks was asked by ESPNChicago.com if a change might be coming and that a meeting with Guillen and pitching coach Don Cooper might take place.

"That doesn't make sense," Jenks said.

Cooper seemed agitated by the situation, but was cordial about questions after the loss to Toronto. Asked what the problem was, Cooper said: "It has to be location. It's always location. You do or you don't make pitches. He didn't make them today."

Cooper was asked by ESPNChicago.com if there was a meeting planned and if a change could occur in the closer's role. Cooper asked, "What did Ozzie say?" When told Guillen said he might need to have a conversation with Cooper, the pitching coach said: "Then that's what we'll do."

I really hate it when the writers try to "trick" the coaches into saying something negative about each other...or a player, right after a game when the coaches haven't even had a chance to meet or regroup.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
My vote is Santos, since he reminds me of 05 Bobby.

^^^^

why shake up the whole bullpen when one guy truly (unfortunately you closer) sucks... just switch Jenks and Sergio. Not rocket science.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
^^^^

why shake up the whole bullpen when one guy truly (unfortunately you closer) sucks... just switch Jenks and Sergio. Not rocket science.

Just to play Devil's advocate (b/c I wouldn't mind Santos pitching the 9th) but he has only pitched 42 innings in his ENTIRE PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL CAREER. That's really all that needs to be said. :) But I am cool with it still.

EDITED for 42 innings.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
Just to play Devil's advocate (b/c I wouldn't mind Santos pitching the 9th) but he has only pitched 14 innings in his ENTIRE PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL CAREER. That's really all that needs to be said. :) But I am cool with it still.

I hear what yer sayin...but how many innings had bobby pitched before he was put in that role? Gotta start somewhere I guess...

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 9, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
Just to play Devil's advocate (b/c I wouldn't mind Santos pitching the 9th) but he has only pitched 42 innings in his ENTIRE PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL CAREER. That's really all that needs to be said. :) But I am cool with it still.

EDITED for 42 innings.

I agree. Santos will likely be the eventual closer, but he won't be put in that situation now. Especially with Thornton and Putz at their disposal.

Right or wrong, I think that Bobby holds onto the closer role for at least a couple more weeks. Ozzie tends to give veterans a lot of slack. Sometimes too much slack (like JD last summer).

QUOTE (knightni @ May 9, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/ind...reliever-usage/

Honestly, I agree. The best reliever should be the one to pitch in the tough situations, not just when it's the 9th inning.

Your best pitchers should pitch in the most high-leverage situations. As some others have alluded to, there is no point in sitting your best pitchers on the bench so that lesser-quality guys can blow the lead and make him irrelevant.