Quentin.

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 12, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
Quentin is trying to hit ever ball over the LF foul pole right now. He'll find his stroke, and will become more selective eventually, same with Beckham. The way its going, the way its going, when they start to hit, Konerko, Rios and Jones may struggle.

That sounds like our type of luck.

But god, if GQ could start hitting like they should, that'd give us 5 good bats, plus Slappy who is beginning to hit. That combined with warm weather for Alexei leaves AJ & Teahen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
It's all about timing.

Before, when he had that "lag" in his swing, he was just a split second early (in 2008) and everything worked perfectly. Now, he's just a fraction of a second late, he's trying to cheat and he's getting himself out on pitchers' pitches, fouling off a lot of balls that he used to square up and bust into the seats. The classic "in between" description really fits with Quentin.

Someone else had it right, his natural RCF stroke became the infamous pull-hook OR, most commonly, just getting under pitches and popping up a ton of balls into RF and the right side of the diamond like Thomas and Crede would also do a lot of times.

The physical ability is still there I think, its just got into his head...the psychological side of the game, 90% of baseball is half mental or whatever Yogi Berra said. Same thing with Beckham, really.

Whatever it is, the timing, the stance, the lack of a level plane in his swing, the approach of trying to jack everything out of the ballpark and not adjust situationally but just be like Juan Uribe or Brian Anderson and do the same thing every single time up....it's frustrating to watch for everyone who saw how good he was in 2008, and how far he's fallen.

You can't have a corner outfielder with a 650-700 OPS playing his abysmal level of defense (currently) or DHing, but I guess he fits right in there with TMK as a pair.

Hey, we are actually going to agree on something.

His swing plane is absolute s***. He isnt in a position to hit the ball hard to all fields like before. IN fact his swing at anything on the outside portion of the plate is a completely modified swing in the moment. I'm not sure where this stemmed from, or what adjustments he tried to make in his stance/swing/load, but its not an effective change whatsoever.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Hey, we are actually going to agree on something.

His swing plane is absolute s***. He isnt in a position to hit the ball hard to all fields like before. IN fact his swing at anything on the outside portion of the plate is a completely modified swing in the moment. I'm not sure where this stemmed from, or what adjustments he tried to make in his stance/swing/load, but its not an effective change whatsoever.

No, we can also agree that the girl from your avatar is super-cute.

Maybe I would fly back from China to see her throw out the first pitch, haha.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Let this be a warning to everyone: DON'T GET MARRIED

For me, it was don't married to a foreign-born model who cares absolutely nothing about baseball, specifically White Sox baseball.

Well, I guess we did have Labrador Retrievers, being history majors, love of travelling and going to movies in common....that was about it. But, in retrospect, it was a great learning experience and true eye-opener for me.

If I do get married again, I will at least find someone I'm at least 50% compatible with.

BTW, does Quentin have a wife? I think so? Maybe he needs some domestic tranquility OR Revolutionary Road quarreling to get his mind freed and cleared to just see the ball and hit the ball...same as Gordo. I remember when Jose Contreras went into the tank, one of the biggest reasons cited was his divorce and marital difficulties. Marriage seems to work wonders for some players (like Konerko, Buehrle, Thome, etc.) in terms of grounding them.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
For me, it was don't married to a foreign-born model who cares absolutely nothing about baseball, specifically White Sox baseball.

Well, I guess we did have Labrador Retrievers, being history majors, love of travelling and going to movies in common....that was about it. But, in retrospect, it was a great learning experience and true eye-opener for me.

If I do get married again, I will at least find someone I'm at least 50% compatible with.

And well, she was a model :headbang

I remember once going to a Royals/White Sox game at Kauffman, fairly sweltering heat but not quite oppressive....I was trying to buy her Lemon Chills and just about anything to keep her pacified, and I had to argue vociferously just to get her to stay for 2 innings. (This is when both teams were actually good, maybe mid season 2003).

That was the end of her attending White Sox (or Royals) games with me.

I must have gone to 10-15 games per season by myself, I couldn't bear arguing about "when are we going home?" everytime.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)

BTW, does Quentin have a wife? I think so? Maybe he needs some domestic tranquility OR Revolutionary Road quarreling to get his mind freed and cleared to just see the ball and hit the ball...same as Gordo. I remember when Jose Contreras went into the tank, one of the biggest reasons cited was his divorce and marital difficulties. Marriage seems to work wonders for some players (like Konerko, Buehrle, Thome, etc.) in terms of grounding them.

Quentins wife

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&...8d22c3078f81602

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
BTW, does Quentin have a wife? I think so?

Got married I believe a year ago. (hence fathom's reference) Gavin Floyd just got married this winter, and look at how his season is going so far.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
I remember once going to a Royals/White Sox game at Kauffman, fairly sweltering heat but not quite oppressive....I was trying to buy her Lemon Chills and just about anything to keep her pacified, and I had to argue vociferously just to get her to stay for 2 innings. (This is when both teams were actually good, maybe mid season 2003).

That was the end of her attending White Sox (or Royals) games with me.

I must have gone to 10-15 games per season by myself, I couldn't bear arguing about "when are we going home?" everytime.

how could you not be pacified by a lemon chill?

lucky for me my fiance loves going to games and wants to get there early and keep score every game. she even tells me when i get pissed off that we have to stick by the sox even when they are bad.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
Bet he's pissed about turning down a guaranteed 30 million.

They should lock Beckhams ass up right now to a 7 year deal

Assuming he was offered the same deal as Gavin Floyd -- as was reported -- he would have received about half that amount in guaranteed money. Gavin's only guaranteed $15.5M.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 12, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
Assuming he was offered the same deal as Gavin Floyd -- as was reported -- he would have received about half that amount in guaranteed money. Gavin's only guaranteed $15.5M.

I'll bet he'll still wind up >$5 million in arbitration this offseason.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 12, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
I'm worried that he's starting to resemble Jose Valentin offensively - an occasional good year largely defined by anomalous power numbers, and then a .230 hitter the rest of the time...

Can someone please reassure me?

No, I am sorry, but just no

It appears to me that he has altered his stance as well. He is not in as deep of a crouch as he formerly was. That is to say that his knees are not as bent.

He's also standing just a little further away from the plate, especially his back foot.

I also noticed today that he did not have the thumb on his top hand extended with his thumb pressed against the bat, as he always did before.

He's the only player whom I've ever seen do that, and so I usually notice it. Another change is that he was wearing one of those rubber thumb guards on his left hand.

I'm not trying to suggest that any of this is the cause of his problems, but rather simply making an observation.

It might be more of an indication that he is searching for answers and experimenting with different things. Why not use the video and try to go back to what he did so successfully before?