White Sox @ Tigers 5/18/10 Game Thread

hogan873

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
Our organization thinks too much. Beckham has been deemed ready to play by our organization. Play him every f***ing day.

This team was ruined with bad offseason acquisitions that weakened the lineup, coupled with mediocre starting pitching when it was supposed to be overpowering starting pitching.

The only changes I want to see involve moving Beckham back to third base and sitting that stiff, Teahen.

If Nix and Omar have to play second every day, so be it.

I'd say moving Lexi back to second, but we know we can't do that since our organization thinks Lexi is some whiz at short.

It should be Beckham at third, Omar at short and Lexi at second. Then replace Omar in the offseason.

Stop saying it doesn't matter with Vizquel, because with this team tanking as badly as it is, there's no f***ing reason for him to ever play unless Jose Mesa is pitching. And Alexei isn't getting moved because your amazing manager deemed him to be a fantastic SS.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ May 17, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
I really wish I could figure out why for the much of the last 15-20 years this team has continually underachieved. I don't get it. This year is just another season in a pattern of squandered potential and it is pretty depressing.

Well, there wasn't near as much potential as there has been in recent years. We knew this offense could be super bad if Beckham and CQ, 2 questions marks didn't hit. It's not like there are a ton of good hitters in our lineup just not hitting. Buerhle, Floyd and Peavy have certainly been really disappointing and there is squandered potential there.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
BTW, Nix should get more ABs in the remaining months to see if he can even be in the plans for this organization in the future. He's just a waste right now.

He seems to be in the dog house for some mysterious reason. Maybe a 43 year old non-hitting utility infielder is our future?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
He seems to be in the dog house for some mysterious reason. Maybe a 43 year old non-hitting utility infielder is our future?

Maybe Nix took Ozzie's kid out drinking? It's just ridiculous.

Stop saying it doesn't matter with Vizquel, because with this team tanking as badly as it is, there's no f***ing reason for him to ever play unless Jose Mesa is pitching. And Alexei isn't getting moved because your amazing manager deemed him to be a fantastic SS.

I put the changes I wanted.

I said I knew we wouldn't move Lexi back to second.

Since they wont do that, put Beckham at third, it's Lexi at short and play Omar/Nix at second. Making Teahen a scrub makes a helluva lot more sense than sending Beckham down. If we send Beckham down, I think our organization has lost its mind. And to think this organization put together a WS champ just five years ago.

Having Juan Pierre and Teahen in the everyday lineup is really really bad for a major league team planning on winning games.

Some of the others are underachieving big-time, but these two guys are a joke. They are once a week players.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)

Since they wont do that, put Beckham at third, it's Lexi at short and play Omar/Nix at second. Making Teahen a scrub makes a helluva lot more sense than sending Beckham down. If we send Beckham down, I think our organization has lost its mind. And to think this organization put together a WS champ just five years ago.

And your ideas on defensive positioning = not good. Beckham is playing the position he should. He is playing pretty good defense at a position that scouts thought he would play as a MLBer. He is not a projected 3rd baseman. Putting Omar as a starter in any MLB lineup is a terrible idea.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)

Having Juan Pierre and Teahen in the everyday lineup is really really bad for a major league team planning on winning games.

Some of the others are underachieving big-time, but these two guys are a joke. They are once a week players.

But Omar is an everyday player for you?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)

Another case of ozzie trying to prove he knows more than anyone. There really is no need for vizquel to play if Nix is not the answer make Retherford prove that he is not as well. There is no reason whatsoever to have a 43 year old guy putting in time to do nothing that any 26 year old with potential could not do. Now ifthe Sox were playing well and a guy went down and you need Vizquel for a week or two fine or once or twice off the bench. This team is not getting better and Vizquel does ntohing to turn it around.

The sad part about this season is how we are missing may teams top notch pitchers and still can not win.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)

I have no idea what happens in the clubhouse, but I can't imagine why Ozzie wouldn't play Nix more with the way the majority of the lineup is struggling. It's not like Jayson is blocked by someone tearing the cover off the ball. Even if he was, he can play multiple positions.

I agree that we should see what we have in Nix after his showing last year. He is an intriguing player.

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

But Omar is an everyday player for you?

OK I'll compromise. Play Nix at second six of every seven games at second then. To salvage this season, or to at least give fans a reason to think our team isn't a disgrace, it should be Beckham at third, Lexi at short and Nix at second. Let Teahen play all those utilitiy positions he played in KC, but very rarely should he see the field or come to the plate.

As far as what one said about my defensive plan, I thought Beckham had many pretty darn good strides at third and by the end of the year was decent to good defensively. Teahen is a disaster on D and a pathetic offensive player.

Im sorry to say complaining about nix starting is just for everyone to complain about ozzie not doing his job. If Beckham wasn't sucking we wouldn't even be having this as an issue. If the White Sox didn't decide to= have a crappy off season we wouldn't be having this topic. God, who knows if Nix would of made the team if they decided do some things different. If Nix started playing more and playing like crap we be asking why is ozzie playing him. Who knows why Ozzie isn't playing Nix at all. Write e-mail to ozzie. Just hope for good pitching, defense and maybe some hitting tonight. Let's GO SOX

The problem is that Beckham doesn't profile as a "plus" player offensively at 3B.

Even his OPS last year when he was going well would have put him in the middle of the pack, closer to Top 8-12, I'm just guessing, I'm sure someone could post where his OPS at 3B would rank his versus at 2B.

He's a much better defender at 2B as well, that was always his projected position when he was drafted.

The mistake we made was trading for Teahen and signing him to an extension. There were a lot of other options out there...for example, we could have gotten Miguel Tejada for one season (+ option year) and held the position for Morel, but we got in a hurry to pick up another Royal, ostensibly because of how he plays against us?

Would still love to pry away Alex Gordon, leaving us with a MUCH MUCH better looking infield.

As noted here, we need to get Nix a lot more playing time (than Vizquel) and see what we have. If that includes playing time for CJ Retherford and/or Brent Lillibridge, I'm all for that, because we're going nowhere with Omar and he's not a part of our future, except perhaps in Ozzie's bizarro universe.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
Im sorry to say complaining about nix starting is just for everyone to complain about ozzie not doing his job. If Beckham wasn't sucking we wouldn't even be having this as an issue. If the White Sox didn't decide to= have a crappy off season we wouldn't be having this topic. God, who knows if Nix would of made the team if they decided do some things different. If Nix started playing more and playing like crap we be asking why is ozzie playing him. Who knows why Ozzie isn't playing Nix at all. Write e-mail to ozzie. Just hope for good pitching, defense and maybe some hitting tonight. Let's GO SOX

Nix should be starting every game against LHP, especially at 3rd base. Mark Teahen has an OPS near .333 vs LHP this year.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
You and I have very different definitions of "A lot".

Agreed, i'm the biggest Nix Lover on the board, but i still need to see a few more things lock in with the guy, before i make him a dramatic offensive upgrade over Teahen.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
Against LHP, Nix is far more dangerous than Teahen. A .333 OPS against LHP in 30 ABs is quite the feat.

You just argued against your own point by noting the large flaw in your argument: a s*** sample size. Teahen has a career .700 OPS vs LHP (.743 last year), over the course of his career he hasn't been a non existent offensive threat vs LHP as he has this year and given that it's only been 28 PA (26 AB) there's still plenty of time for him to move back towards his career norms.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 18, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)
You just argued against your own point by noting the large flaw in your argument: a s*** sample size. Teahen has a career .700 OPS vs LHP (.743 last year), over the course of his career he hasn't been a non existent offensive threat vs LHP as he has this year and given that it's only been 28 PA (26 AB) there's still plenty of time for him to move back towards his career norms.

Not if he's not facing Buehrle!! He's clearly struggling against LHP, as he's not picking up the low slider at all. You're a stat guy, what was the direction of his home runs last year? He doesn't seem capable of hitting a home run to right field.