NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
Trade exceptions don't let you sign guys, they're only for trading purposes. You'd have to convince someone to give you a player for nothing basically.

Other teams will help facilitate things though. We give them a pick or something.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
Bosh has played in the East against inferior competition, sure they have different types of game, but Boozer is no slouch and has done it against the best competition in the West

And he's got great playoff numbers. People would value them a lot closer if Boozer could stay healthy and was a bit younger. But at the same time, Boozer had DWill, Bosh had no one really.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
And he's got great playoff numbers.

I'm thinking people are just looking at this past year and the way Bosh has handled this whole thing as if he would be the centerpiece on any team, making people think he's top 5 or 10 in the league. NO DICE

i remember just two years ago many analysts called bosh an overrated oversized small forward who is also a decent rebounder. Yes, he had a nice run last year during his contract year, it's highly doubtful he will have another year like last year's. With him in the lineup, Toronto was the worst team in the league in terms of defense. So i dont think you can call him a defensive stopper either.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
You must be high if you think Deng = Beasley. Unlike Beasley, deng doesn't have attitude problems, and works hard on defense. Deng is a grown man, and beasley is a whiny little b****. Heat wants to trade Beasley for a pure salary dump, but Bulls would actually get something in return for Deng.

Overall Deng is a much better player and team player right now.

deng > beasley by a landslide

the heats have 1 superstar, 1 borderline superstar, 1 bench player, bulls have 1 future superstar, 1 allstar, and 1 potential allstar. Given that, I would say Heats might have a little bit of an edge there. but the bulls also have two solid role players in Gibson and Johnson.

And the Bulls should have about $2.5mil to sign a free agent after they hand out a max, while if the Heat sign the big 3, they would be forced to sign only minimum contracts.

So overall, the Bulls should have an edge overall in terms of roster. But roster is not the biggest concern here, Lebron's ego and loyalty ultimately decides where he will sign.

Deng is a 16-17 PER type player that averages somewhere around 17-6, Beasley is about a 16-17 PER player that averages around 15-6 in far fewer minutes. They're pretty damn comparable. Obviously Beasley's attitude is an issue, which I've mentioned, though Deng also gets hurt at a far higher rate.

If you're using "future" and "potential" on the Bulls' side, then it doesn't really help your case a whole lot. Johnson also isn't really a "solid role player" either, he barely played. Mario Chalmers is easily a better role player than Johnson at this point, at least he can defend and hit 3's (though at a much better clip last year).

The Heat and Bulls would both have basically the exact same amount of cap space if they didn't add another max player, giving them a basically equal chance to improve their roster. We're not talking about Lebron joining either team as clearly if he goes to either that gives that team an edge.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Deng is a 16-17 PER type player that averages somewhere around 17-6, Beasley is about a 16-17 PER player that averages around 15-6 in far fewer minutes. They're pretty damn comparable. Obviously Beasley's attitude is an issue, which I've mentioned, though Deng also gets hurt at a far higher rate.

If you're using "future" and "potential" on the Bulls' side, then it doesn't really help your case a whole lot. Johnson also isn't really a "solid role player" either, he barely played. Mario Chalmers is easily a better role player than Johnson at this point, at least he can defend and hit 3's (though at a much better clip last year).

The Heat and Bulls would both have basically the exact same amount of cap space if they didn't add another max player, giving them a basically equal chance to improve their roster. We're not talking about Lebron joining either team as clearly if he goes to either that gives that team an edge.

Pat Riley has always said (openly) that whatever amount of points Beasley would score in a game, he ends up giving up on the defensive end

:lolhitting

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)

The reason why no one really likes Beasley is because he's a tweener. He's too big for SF and too small for PF. Thus, his defense really is an issue. I'd rather have Deng as a player all day long. That said, I would trade Deng for Beasley only because the contractual difference. Beasley is easily tradable not because a lot of people want him, but because his contract is desirable.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
i remember just two years ago many analysts called bosh an overrated oversized small forward who is also a decent rebounder. Yes, he had a nice run last year during his contract year, it's highly doubtful he will have another year like last year's. With him in the lineup, Toronto was the worst team in the league in terms of defense. So i dont think you can call him a defensive stopper either.

Um, what? That isn't remotely true. Bosh has put up a PER north of 22 for five straight seasons (a total Boozer has only reached once) while averaging at least 22-9 every year during that stretch.

As for the Toronto part, have you looked at their roster? They're playing a small forward at center, of course their defense sucks. Put him on a team that doesn't have a lot of soft, jump-shooting European players and their defense would improve.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 06:16 PM)
Does anyone else think that a solid zone defense would give the Heat trio trouble? They'll be killer in transition, no doubt, but in the half court, how good can they possibly be?

Yes, but they would still shoot 30 FT a game no matter what.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
What does that mean?

IF it's true, the Heat will find out LeBron's decision at 9EST at the very latest. Then Miller can make his choice. Another option is the Heat have found a trade partner for Beasley.

Another option is that this is all really damn annoying and can't be over soon enough.

Goodman also said,

"Miller has been told by Miami that the team is "confident" LeBron is coming. Miller could likely earn more money with New York Knicks."

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
The reason why no one really likes Beasley is because he's a tweener. He's too big for SF and too small for PF. Thus, his defense really is an issue. I'd rather have Deng as a player all day long. That said, I would trade Deng for Beasley only because the contractual difference. Beasley is easily tradable not because a lot of people want him, but because his contract is desirable.

He's also easily tradeable because he's only 21 and has tremendous offensive potential. Deng isn't anywhere near as easy to trade because he's overpaid and you know exactly what he is at this point, a guy that is at best the #3 scorer on a decent team. Deng has been a bit better so far, but it's far from a lock that he will be over the next 5 years or so.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
Does anyone else think that a solid zone defense would give the Heat trio trouble? They'll be killer in transition, no doubt, but in the half court, how good can they possibly be?

Pretty much no one in the NBA ever plays a zone, so it's a moot point. You also can't just park in the lane without guarding anyone like you can in college, so it's nowhere near as effective.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
So could the Heat still sign Wade and bring in Miller if they trade Beasley?

BTW, Haywood back to Dallas

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-h...mavericks070810

I don't see how unless someone takes less money. $17 mil times three (rounding) equals $51, so I can't see how they could squeeze in $5 mil for Miller when you factor in cap holds.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
He's also easily tradeable because he's only 21 and has tremendous offensive potential. Deng isn't anywhere near as easy to trade because he's overpaid and you know exactly what he is at this point, a guy that is at best the #3 scorer on a decent team. Deng has been a bit better so far, but it's far from a lock that he will be over the next 5 years or so.

Deng just turned 25 a couple months ago. He's not a finished product.