NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 05:05 AM)
How's the Bulls cap situation looking if they did decide to waive him?

e.g could they could sign an up and coming PF for the MLE, or go for a cheaper option such as David West?

The Bulls could always sign an "up and coming PF" for the MLE, they could do so right now, but that's just not the best use of their MLE necessarily. If the Bulls somehow ate the $60 million, they could have some money to sign a SG, but then wouldn't necessarily ahve the MLE because they would be back under the cap, so replacing both SG and PF would be a 2 year story again.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
One interesting nugget I read is the fact that the amnesty clause need not be used by teams in year one. In fact, they can use the clause, one time only, at any point during the CBA.

This benefits the Bulls, because as is you want Boozer on the team this year and maybe next, because when healthy he can get you quick buckets. However, at the end of the deal (the final two years), when we can all expect him to be horrific... bye bye Boozie.

This benefits the Bulls in other ways as well. Boozer's deal becomes more of a problem in a year or two when Rose's extension happens and kicks in. That would push the Bulls much closer to the Luxury tax, but that isn't an issue this year. And then to top that off, the Bulls have that European big guy they drafted this year who is 2-3 years away from coming over and who could be ready to replace Boozer cheaply at that poitn.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
One of the downsides of the CBA for the Bulls will be Rose's max salary is actually higher now than it would have been before, with a lower total cap.
Link. Derrick is literally the only player int he league that this applies to this offseason.

Under the NBA lockout deal reached Saturday morning, players with six or fewer years of service in the league can sign contracts with a maximum first-year salary equal to 25 percent of the salary cap, or roughly $14.5 million for the 2011-12 season. But if that player has already made the All-Star or All-NBA team, he can sign a deal that pays him 30 percent in the first year of his second contract, which is also the max for players with more than six seasons of service.

This will affect young players signing their second contracts, usually following their third seasons. (This contracts go into effect after the players' fourth season.) In the immediate, it will come into play for Derrick Rose, Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook, each of whom have finished three seasons and have All-Star appearances on their resumes.

Under the old rules and assuming the salary cap, as reported, remains static at $58 million, those players should be able to sign extensions starting at $17.4 million. By contrast, Kevin Durant last year signed a deal that this year will pay him $14.5 million. Westbrook (a year behind Durant in service) making more than the two-time reigning scoring champ should go over well in Oklahoma City.

It's only a downside if JR remains cheap and walks back his willingness to pay the luxury tax for a team that can win a title

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
There is a few rumors that the Bulls will sign T-Mac when FA starts. In fact.. Steven A. Smith (who was the only one who reported the big 3 to Miami rumor from his sources) said you can "bet the house that T-Mac will be a bull" on a radio show.

Oh BS. The Bulls could have had him last time around and wanted nothing to do with himl

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bulls-talk/...tm_medium=email

NBA to establish the "Derrick Rose Rule"

November 27, 2011, 1:33 pm

2010-11 MVP Derrick Rose will get a hefty raise for his accomplishments. (US Presswire)

ANGIE WIATROWSKI

Derrick Rose has expressed that he wasn't too happy with the NBA's salary cap system but something tells me that's about to change.

Let me introduce what's been dubbed the "Derrick Rose Rule."

With the new CBA, according to the New York Times, players with six or fewer years of service in the league can sign contracts with a maximum first-year salary. The maximum is currently 25 percent of the salary cap, or about $14.5 million. Here comes the twist. If a player has already achieved two All-NBA bids, two All-Star selections or an MVP award, a deal can be signed for 30 percent of the salary cap in the first year of the second contract.

This is the max for players with more than six seasons of service and Rose, our 2010-11, third-year player MVP is the only one eligible.

Not too shabby for the 23-year-old point guard.

Rose may have some company in Kevin Durant as his extension signed in 2010 has not taken effect. Durant could ask the Oklahoma City Thunder for an extra five percent once the league reopens.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
Oh BS. The Bulls could have had him last time around and wanted nothing to do with himl

Well, if the Bulls wanted to see if he had anything left in the tank, he did play 72 games for the 'Stons last year. Of course, he was also playing for the Pistons, which doesn't make anyone look good right now.

Either way, I'd rather have whichever guard the Pistons use their amnesty clause on. They have several options.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
There is a few rumors that the Bulls will sign T-Mac when FA starts. In fact.. Steven A. Smith (who was the only one who reported the big 3 to Miami rumor from his sources) said you can "bet the house that T-Mac will be a bull" on a radio show.

He throws so much s*** against the wall occasionally some of it sticks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
Well, if the Bulls wanted to see if he had anything left in the tank, he did play 72 games for the 'Stons last year. Of course, he was also playing for the Pistons, which doesn't make anyone look good right now.

Either way, I'd rather have whichever guard the Pistons use their amnesty clause on. They have several options.

Really? the 'Stons? That is pretty lame

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I can't imagine how tmac will stay healthy with so many 3 games in 3 nights. I'd like to avoid taking flyers on oft injured vets for this year.

The Bulls passed on him last year. I don't see how another year of age and knee deterioration would change their minds.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
I can't imagine how tmac will stay healthy with so many 3 games in 3 nights. I'd like to avoid taking flyers on oft injured vets for this year.

TMac isn't a guy you sign expecting 30 mpg, he's a guy you sign expecting 15-20 mpg along with a rotation of other guards. The Bulls actually have the rotation of other guards already...and that's actually one important point here. If the Bulls can't get a major upgrade at the position, a guy who commands 30+ mpg because you want him in the lineup, then they need to find a guy who fills some of their needs (shooting and ability to generate own shot) and compliments Brewer, Bogans, and Korver.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
TMac isn't a guy you sign expecting 30 mpg, he's a guy you sign expecting 15-20 mpg along with a rotation of other guards. The Bulls actually have the rotation of other guards already...and that's actually one important point here. If the Bulls can't get a major upgrade at the position, a guy who commands 30+ mpg because you want him in the lineup, then they need to find a guy who fills some of their needs (shooting and ability to generate own shot) and compliments Brewer, Bogans, and Korver.

I wasn't insinuating he'd play 30 minutes per night, even if he plays 18 minutes I"d worry about that 3 nights in a row so many times. He's old, old players have hard time being consistent because they get fatigued so easily. He's not a good pickup.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
I wasn't insinuating he'd play 30 minutes per night, even if he plays 18 minutes I"d worry about that 3 nights in a row so many times. He's old, old players have hard time being consistent because they get fatigued so easily. He's not a good pickup.

If he gets fatigued easily...then the solution is...Brewer, Bogans, Korver, Watson, and that other PG that the Bulls just drafted.

The fact that he lasted 72 games last year and averaged >20 mpg suggests to me that if I asked him to play in 80% of the games and give me 15-20 minutes as part of a 4 guard rotation, he ought to be able to handle it barring a catastrophic injury.

The question is whether there's someone out there who would do a better job at that role or who you would want playing even more minutes than that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
If he gets fatigued easily...then the solution is...Brewer, Bogans, Korver, Watson, and that other PG that the Bulls just drafted.

The fact that he lasted 72 games last year and averaged >20 mpg suggests to me that if I asked him to play in 80% of the games and give me 15-20 minutes as part of a 4 guard rotation, he ought to be able to handle it barring a catastrophic injury.

The question is whether there's someone out there who would do a better job at that role or who you would want playing even more minutes than that.

There are a lot better options than signing Tmac, imo.

Here's my list of currently unrestricted free agent shooting guards. This list will of course go up as guys get amnestied and released, but here's what I'm looking at right now:

Jamal Crawford (SG)

Von Wafer (SG)

Delonte West (SG)

Dominic McGuire (SG)

Rasual Butler (SG)

Anthony Parker (SG)

DeShawn Stevenson (SG)

J.R. Smith (SG)

Tracy McGrady (SG)

Mike Dunleavy (SG)

Michael Redd (SG)

Mario West (SG)

Roger Mason (SG)

Daequan Cook (SG)

Jason Richardson (SG)

Marquis Daniels (SG)

Edit: Here's the list I used, if you want to add names here. A couple of SF's like Grant Hill might be options as well, but still need to be available at or below MLE level.