NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
Oops, i read an article the other day about him hanging around DRose and I thought it said something about him being Rose's backup.

Nah.

He's working on his ball handling and he can defend the 2, so hopefully he could become a SG in the future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
The fact that he lasted 72 games last year and averaged >20 mpg suggests to me that if I asked him to play in 80% of the games and give me 15-20 minutes as part of a 4 guard rotation, he ought to be able to handle it barring a catastrophic injury.

It shouldn't, and you just blatantly ignore the difficulties of the compressed schedule. So 2 out of the last 3 years he hasn't been able to finish 50% of his games, therefore you are willing to make the upgrade to your SG be a gamble that a 31 year old oft injured player with over 30,000 minutes played under his belt will get you 80% of the games in a compressed 66 game season schedule including many more back to back and back to back to back games, and get us...what like 6 ppg? It's a terrible sign. I would rather we bring back bogans than that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
It shouldn't, and you just blatantly ignore the difficulties of the compressed schedule. So 2 out of the last 3 years he hasn't been able to finish 50% of his games, therefore you are willing to make the upgrade to your SG be a gamble that a 31 year old oft injured player with over 30,000 minutes played under his belt will get you 80% of the games in a compressed 66 game season schedule including many more back to back and back to back to back games, and get us...what like 6 ppg? It's a terrible sign. I would rather we bring back bogans than that.

First of all, Bogans is just going to be back. Accept it, it's happening. They're not going to dump a guy who was in this system last year for that amount of money.

Second...stop telling me it's a terrible sign and tell me who is better, available, fits the Bulls' needs, and can be had for the MLE? I'm still waiting.

I frankly don't need to. I don't care if Bogans is back, so it's hardly something I need to accept. I just find your assertion that you could count on anything from Tracy McGrady to be ridiculous. That said we have no idea how exactly this offseason period will shake out. But I am very much against the bulls making a gamble on mcgrady being healthy, let alone an upgrade on Bogans.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
What would need to happen financially, for the Bulls to acquire Afflalo (who wants to be a Bull)? I just want to know if I should not even bother dreaming on it under the new CBA.

I think basically he'd have to only be offered the MLE. No way the bulls can come up with more cap room, nothing car really be done on sign and trades at this point.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
The Bulls passed on him last year. I don't see how another year of age and knee deterioration would change their minds.

Apparently he had knee surgery this summer (same knee procedure Kobe had) in Germany and says he is finally 100% healthy.

And for anyone wondering, no I do not want him here, and it makes no sense other than his facilitation and ball handling at the 2 (floor spacing is much more critical at the conjecture of this offense build around Rose from last summer's FA period) and LMAO at SA who is now backing down on what he said.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 06:21 AM)
Apparently he had knee surgery this summer (same knee procedure Kobe had) in Germany and says he is finally 100% healthy.

And for anyone wondering, no I do not want him here, and it makes no sense other than his facilitation and ball handling at the 2 (floor spacing is much more critical at the conjecture of this offense build around Rose from last summer's FA period) and LMAO at SA who is now backing down on what he said.

So who is available that would provide better floor spacing at the 2 and is available for the MLE or for what the Bulls have to trade? Yeah there might be some surprises in the RFA pool, but at this point we ought to have a good guess about who will be out there, and I'm struggling to see a better option.

McGrady basically put up his career average shooting %ages last year, 34% from 3. Not great, but right at his career mark. I think adding him makes the Bulls better than doing nothing, and I'm still waiting to see who else people would say that about.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 06:29 AM)
So who is available that would provide better floor spacing at the 2 and is available for the MLE or for what the Bulls have to trade? Yeah there might be some surprises in the RFA pool, but at this point we ought to have a good guess about who will be out there, and I'm struggling to see a better option.

McGrady basically put up his career average shooting %ages last year, 34% from 3. Not great, but right at his career mark. I think adding him makes the Bulls better than doing nothing, and I'm still waiting to see who else people would say that about.

Why does not signing McGrady = doing nothing? There are better options out there, and the Bulls have become an attractive team to free agents again. I think I am going to let the free agents assemble themselves and see what is available before I wed myself to a guy who is extremely injury prone and is also a pretty selfish basketball player with no interest in defense. And those last two descriptions are pretty much the antithesis to a Thibodeau player

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baske...0,4588495.story

By K.C. Johnson, Chicago Tribune reporter

November 29, 2011

With speculation focused on free agents such as Jason Richardson, who would command most or all of the $5 million midlevel exception, or Vince Carter, who might consider signing for the veteran's minimum if the Suns waive him, another possibility for Bulls shooting guard is getting overlooked:

C.J. Watson.

Bulls management talked last season and through this offseason about playing Watson more off the ball in 2011-12, which would lead them to pursue veteran help to back up Derrick Rose at point guard. One possibility could be T.J. Ford.

Bulls management has liked Ford in the past, and he's represented by Arn Tellem, who's also Rose's agent. Tellem long has had a strong relationship with Bulls Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

Ford has played for three teams in seven seasons, missing 20 months from February 2004 to October 2005 after undergoing surgery to fuse two vertebrae in his neck. The 28-year-old, who played 14 minutes in the Pacers' first-round loss to the Bulls last season, is fully healthy and has averaged 11.4 points and 5.9 assists in 415 games.

Ford is an unrestricted free agent who made $8.5 million last season. He has hinted that playing for a contending team is more of a priority at this stage of his career.

As for Watson, he played well occasionally in limited stretches alongside Rose last season. Whenever asked about the dynamic, Watson said he enjoyed playing off the ball and pointed to his tenure paired with Monta Ellis with the Warriors, when they shared ballhandling duties.

The Bulls are considering many scenarios as they prepare for what appears will be a fast and furious free agency period scheduled to begin Dec. 9. A decision on Keith Bogans, who started all 82 games at shooting guard last season, will be made before then.

If Bogans' $1.73 million team option is picked up, he and Watson could split time at shooting guard. Ronnie Brewer, signed last summer to conceivably be the starter, also could win the position.

Though nothing is definitive, it's considered less of a possibility the Bulls will use their entire midlevel exception on a long-term deal for a shooting guard because of luxury-tax concerns in the first year of Rose's five-year maximum extension near $100 million.

kcjohnson@tribune.com

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
We haven't even gotten a vote on the new CBA yet, and already the Paul to NYK stuff is starting...

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id...new-yorks-hopes

Crap, that lower max contract helps the Knicks a lot. Paul would only be giving up like $1 million.

On the plus side, the Knicks would still have pretty terrible defense.

Edit- After reading a John Hollinger article on the subject, I am quite wrong.

The Hornets would still be able to give him raises based on his past contract figure, which would mean his deal could start at over $17 mil if he stayed. The max the Knicks can do even if they got rid of everyone but Stoudemire and Anthony would be a deal starting at $13.5 mil. That means he'd have to give up something like $40 million on the next contract to play with Amare, Melo and a bunch of league minimum guys. It's even less if they keep guys like Fields, Shumpert and Douglas.

They paid their two studs a lot more than the Miami Heat guys AND gave up all their assets to get Miami so a trade would be tough.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

@Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard

Bulls' dream (sources say) & Heat's nightmare is for Chi to get Brandon Roy after Blazers cut him w/amnesty clause....

@Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard

But Bulls know Roy likely to be picked up first by a team with cap room. Source says Chi has interest in Josh Howard too, so does Wash & NJ

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
Even in a shortened season I'd be worried about Roy's knees suddenly going out.

That's the problem, they already did. He was a shadow of his former self last year.

Granted if he is remotely close to 100% it's a steal, but if he shows any of that in workouts he'll go for above the MLE.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
That's the problem, they already did. He was a shadow of his former self last year.

Granted if he is remotely close to 100% it's a steal, but if he shows any of that in workouts he'll go for above the MLE.

If he was at 70% and signed for the MLE it would be a huge steal.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)
If he was at 70% and signed for the MLE it would be a huge steal.

70% is probably what you saw last year: a guy that struggles getting to the rim and isn't a good enough shooter to still be an impact player.

Now if he shows a fair amount of his old quickness and explosiveness that's a different story, but in that scenario any team with cap space would sign him on the spot.

Edited by ZoomSlowik