2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
Keith Law has us taking Asher Wojciechowski, RHP, The Citad

Says Sox are looking for college pitchers who won't demand huge money. I asked someone about Austin Wilson today, and said there's no way we're drafting another outfielder in the first round.

"WOJO" has a nice K-rate and a really good makeup. I can see the interest. This kid managed baseball, Military obligations and school for three years and seemed to come out better for it. I'd prefer for his E.R.A to be a bit lower, but so far i'm impressed.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
Keith Law has us taking Asher Wojciechowski, RHP, The Citad

Says Sox are looking for college pitchers who won't demand huge money. I asked someone about Austin Wilson today, and said there's no way we're drafting another outfielder in the first round.

Who the hell is Asher wowirhdhbfhf? College pitchers who won't demand huge money (i.e. cheap).

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)

Pretty much what everyone is saying. Par for the course.

I wouldn't mind the cheaper college arm in the 1st round if the organization would splurge later on some of harder signs that fall, but we haven't seen much of that. If we break the 5 million threshold in draft spending I will be impressed.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 25, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
You're quick. ;) I'm surprised to see this actually. A HS talent that's supposedly pricey.

Big fan of Castellanos. I believe Callis noted that he won't be too difficult to sign. Probably seeking overslot, but not an Austin Wilson amount.

A lot of people have been on the White Sox for not spending in the draft, but their last 2 first round picks were well regarded selections that were not 'going cheap.' The Sox didn't go overslot, but you could argue Beckham and Mitchell were best available so if the Sox have changed their philosophy we wouldn't have necessarily known. Maybe they're willing to spend early (Thompson was a bit above slot). Basically I'm saying just because they didn't go overslot the last two first round picks doesn't mean they weren't willing to considering the players taken. This year's draft will probably show more about the Sox current draft philosophy than the last two years. Taking Castellanos would be a drastic shift.

I'd obviously rather have Wilson, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed to end up with a guy like Castellanos (assuming Wilson is off the board). He totally goes against what has become a typical White Sox first round draft pick. HS kid, high risk, ect. I'll believe it when I see it, though. Like dan said, this upcoming draft will prove just how serious the White Sox are (they talk a good game) about their dedication to building a top-flight system.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 25, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
I'd obviously rather have Wilson, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed to end up with a guy like Castellanos (assuming Wilson is off the board). He totally goes against what has become a typical White Sox first round draft pick. HS kid, high risk, ect. I'll believe it when I see it, though. Like dan said, this upcoming draft will prove just how serious the White Sox are (they talk a good game) about their dedication to building a top-flight system.

If Wilson is dead set on going to Stanford, teams probably won't draft him in the first anyways.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 26, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
Piliere's 1st Full Mock Draft

I wouldn't mind Sale either. Better bat than Castellanos at this point, and is projected to be a true power guy. I don't like his defensive shortcomings though. He's pretty much Travis Snider 2.0

I'd be exstatic with either guy. I really like the bat options better than the pitching options as of now. I haven't feel in love with too many pitchers, especially the ones the Sox are likely to target.

Castellano's has the tools and potential to be a machine at 3B.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
I'd be exstatic with either guy. I really like the bat options better than the pitching options as of now. I haven't feel in love with too many pitchers, especially the ones the Sox are likely to target.

My thoughts exactly. Not that enthusiastic about any of Wimmers/Workman/Hahn/Asher. Harvey, McGuire, Ranaudo though, sign me up.