Sox going after Mike Lowell?

Chi Town Sox

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)

Another reason why it might be time for Hahn to be in charge instead of Kenny. This organization is going to be in a bad place unless we invest heavily in the draft, and on our own development. Not picking up older players for some mythical run. Save the money and use it on draft picks next week. And before someone chimes in with the inevitable, well draft picks rarely pan out. Yes they do, but prospects are the currency of future trades. Either you develop them for the replenishment of our own team, or you use them to acquire talent later.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
If it means the Red Sox pick up most or all of his contract and they don't force Viciedo up when he's not ready, I say- why not? It's not like he's forced to be here the next 4 years.

Our team nees to get younger. We have no business trading whatever limited assets we currently have for an aging, declining, injury prone 3b. Especially, given the accelerated timetable this organization is putting Morel on. If this move gets made i'll be furious.

It would just be a stopgap for 2010. I think it would mean Konerko is getting traded, and Viciedo and Morel aren't ready to be here this year. Lowell wouldn't be here for any other purpose than just to plug a guy in while the young guys get more seasoning in the minors--where they belong. The team is bad. It wouldn't be to win games, obviously.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
Our team nees to get younger. We have no business trading whatever limited assets we currently have for an aging, declining, injury prone 3b. Especially, given the accelerated timetable this organization is putting Morel on. If this move gets made i'll be furious.

I think they'd get him for nothing. What would piss me off is that the organization should be spending money on our draft as opposed to spending the money on saving a sinking ship. Just my 2 cents though because as of this point I can't see how we could possibly justify buying when our team is completely underperforming.

I'm an optimist but right now they are just dragging and dragging. Could they pick it up and dominate, absolutely, but I'm not going to continue to sit around and wait for it to happen.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
If it means the Red Sox pick up most or all of his contract and they don't force Viciedo up when he's not ready, I say- why not? It's not like he's forced to be here the next 4 years.

How is Viciedo any bearing on this decision. Morel is playing 3rd in AAA. They can run Nix and Omar out there if need be. Save the money and use it on the draft and on the international signing period.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
It would just be a stopgap for 2010. I think it would mean Konerko is getting traded, and Viciedo and Morel aren't ready to be here this year. Lowell wouldn't be here for any other purpose than just to plug a guy in while the young guys get more seasoning in the minors--where they belong. The team is bad. It wouldn't be to win games, obviously.

We have a stopgap for 2010. His name is Mark Teahen. We have no need to go out and make a move that makes us older, and won't make an already bad team that much better.

At the end of the day, you're right. It's not going to matter. But it may be more palatable to watch Lowell at 3b or 1B, than watch Nix and Vizquel playing 3B and Teahen at 1b if Paulie gets traded.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
We have a stopgap for 2010. His name is Mark Teahen. We have no need to go out and make a move that makes us older, and won't make an already bad team that much better.

I don't buy it. Where at that time of the year when you're gonna read or hear about 5757456537634 different rumors and most people are going to flip out, good or bad. This team is 9.5 games out of first place. They're not looking to add a past his prime, injury prone 3B (can he even play the position anymore?) as some feeble attempt of "getting back" in the race.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
How is Viciedo any bearing on this decision. Morel is playing 3rd in AAA. They can run Nix and Omar out there if need be. Save the money and use it on the draft and on the international signing period.

Because if Konerko is traded as well, who would take over at 1b? Kotsay?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't buy it. Where at that time of the year when you're gonna read or hear about 5757456537634 different rumors and most people are going to flip out, good or bad. This team is 9.5 games out of first place. They're not looking to add a past his prime, injury prone 3B (can he even play the position anymore?) as some feeble attempt of "getting back" in the race.

I don't care what they spend money on, so long as they spend it and continue to spend it. I wouldn't support the product any other way. No way I'd support the Sox if they were content being losers and spending 50M a year when the league average was over 75M (and I don't know what it is), regardless of where I grew up or how long I've been a fan. Whether this is wasting money or not, at least they're trying. And I don't care about them building for the future...who knows if I or any of us will even be here in the future. Hell, I don't care if they're the worst team in the league if they find a way to do it in an entertaining way. :)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
I think they'd get him for nothing.....

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)

Okay maybe I could see this. I guess this would mean that the Sox are done competing for this season and are just looking for warm bodies. If they got him for little of nothing (maybe a worthless prospect or Randy Williams) and the red cubs ate his salary, then why not? Maybe it would be to replace Konerko if he's traded.

He can't be any worse than Kotsay.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
I believe that Lowell is commited to retiring at the end of the year too. So, unless he hits his balls off and magically jumps a few spots to become a Type A free agent, this move has little long-term value to this organization.

He's making $12M this year, even if he went on a crazy ass tear and held on to his Type A status he would NEVER be offered arbitration.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
^^^This^^^

Except he makes 8 times more.

What would be the Red Sox motivation for eating all but the pro-rated minimum left on Lowell's deal and getting nothing at all in return? The fact that they were on the verge of getting Max Ramirez for Lowell and eating 3/4 of his deal says they should probably hold out for a young player with at least some upside.