2010-2011 NHL thread

This is the first time in a while I've felt pretty good about the Hawks. Every previous time this year I have though, they almost immediately went on a bad streak. Consistency has been the issue all season. If they can settle that now, they'll get in. But it's hard to expect it when we haven't seen it all year. One guy we have seen it from is Corey Crawford though. He's the MVP of this team as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
Devils are 16-1-2 in their past 19 games. And are still 9 points back of a playoff spot in the East.

They were 10-29-2 before this run, on pace for 44 points THIS SEASON. That'd have been an NHL worst since the expansion Thrashers had 39 in 1999-2000. In other words, the Devils were on pace to among the worst teams in recent NHL history (if not longer) through exactly 1/2 of the season, and now they're the hottest team in the league. IF they somehow keep this up and make the playoffs, it'd be among the greatest team comebacks in sports history. For some reason, this hot streak basically started when they traded their captain Jamie Langenbrunner (they're 16-2-2 since).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
They need at least 4 points out of these next three games. Ideally nothing goes to OT. Three point games will kill this team.

Exactly. 4 points for the Hawks, and only two for the opponents. A couple of OT wins won't help all that much.

Big win last night. Crawford is playing well and good to see Hossa making plays.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
Nick Boynton was put on waivers; according to the Score, if he clears, the Hawks will be looking for a penalty killing defenseman

Sopel was so important to this team. Too bad his salary was too high. But he will be a free agent after this year and I am fairly certain he will be back with the Hawks. Said as much when he was traded last year.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
Sopel was so important to this team. Too bad his salary was too high. But he will be a free agent after this year and I am fairly certain he will be back with the Hawks. Said as much when he was traded last year.

I'd be down for Sopel

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
Soapy is going to be, what, 57 next season?

He'll be 34. And if he can get the job done, why not? He was crucial last year on the penalty kill. There is a reason the Hawks went from 5th in the league in penalty kill last year to 26th this year.

We miss him more than most think.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
He'll be 34. And if he can get the job done, why not? He was crucial last year on the penalty kill. There is a reason the Hawks went from 5th in the league in penalty kill last year to 26th this year.

We miss him more than most think.

I'm just saying, the guy is old as hell, or at least looks like it.

The Chicago Blackhawks and Brent Seabrook are nearing a five-year contract extension.

According to Bob McKenzie, Seabrook and the Hawks are close to a five-year, $30 million deal. The deal is still unofficial but very near complete. "(Seabrook) is a big part of our group here and none of that has changed," GM Stan Bowman said. "Brent has been a big reason we've gotten to where we're at and he's going to continue to be a big part of this." This seems like a match made in heaven for Chicago, who pairs Seabrook with reigning Norris Trophy winner Duncan Keith.

I'm not sure Brent Seabrook has earned anything more than a very modest raise, let alone a 2.5 million dollar one. And he's worth a bigger cap hit than Duncan Keith? If this is true, the Hawks will be locked into spending 22 million in cap hit a year on the top 4 defensemen for at least the next 3 years, and will be locked into the top 3 paid defesemen for the next 5 years. With the way this defense has played overall this year, are you comfortable with that? I'm not.

If you add in the fact that the top 5 forwards on this team make a little over 24 million a year in cap hit, Corey Crawford is going to be due a significant raise, Troy Brouwer is due a raise, etc. Even with the Stanley Cup bonuses coming off the cap and the cap likely going up, this team had better be awfully good at building VERY cheap and significant in numbers depth through the system or through very cheap free agent signings (and soon), because there is just not going to be much actual money there for it anytime soon. And quality depth was probably the #1 reason this team won it all last year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
Re-signing Sharpie after next year seems less likely now. Although, with the way Leddy has been playing, I can see them moving Hammer this off-season. (Assuming they can't find a taker for Campbell)

I don't think finding a taker for Hammer will be all that easy either with his cap hit unless you also take some money back. Sharpie is as good as gone after next year, unless this just feel like outright dealing him this summer is a better plan. I don't think spending this much on this few guys is a sustainable situation, but there aren't a lot of moves to be made. I don't see any takers for Campbell or Hos, Toews, Kane, Keith, and Seabs are going nowhere. It seems like Sharpie is the odd man out soon, maybe they could move Bolland?

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
The Chicago Blackhawks and Brent Seabrook are nearing a five-year contract extension.

According to Bob McKenzie, Seabrook and the Hawks are close to a five-year, $30 million deal. The deal is still unofficial but very near complete. "(Seabrook) is a big part of our group here and none of that has changed," GM Stan Bowman said. "Brent has been a big reason we've gotten to where we're at and he's going to continue to be a big part of this." This seems like a match made in heaven for Chicago, who pairs Seabrook with reigning Norris Trophy winner Duncan Keith.

Nooooooo! Not the guido douchebag!

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
$47 mil tied up in 9 players.

Yeah I have no idea how we are going to fill out this roster for the next few years. We have three guys make max money that all have serious issues. Campbell is strong player, but clearly not good enough on either O or D for that type of money. Hossa is injury prone and has been only ok this year, and Kane couldn't play defense if he was offered free booze and two girls.

Toews and Keith are the only ones truly deserving of a max deal.