Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
Am I in the minority that doesnt think Dunn alone makes this team a WS contender? I really am opposed to giving up Hudson for a 4 month rental

Of course it doesn't.

I'll believe it if I see it, I don't expect to see Dunn coming here. When was the last time we added a player through trade or free agency that was actively talked about in the media before it happened? When there were articles saying Kenny is in talks with team x to get player z. If anything this seems like deliberate obfuscation to raise leverage with other targets.

$6 mil and top prospect(s) for a 3 month rental seems extremely not sensible. If it included signing him to an extension, it makes more sense. Also, making a lot of sense would be signing Jim Thome this winter for $1.5 mil for the entire season, as he's putting up a .927 OPS.

Am I in the minority that doesnt think Dunn alone makes this team a WS contender? I really am opposed to giving up Hudson for a 4 month rental

Heck, we can't even get Ozzie to think out of the box!! He is just fine with the team now, DOH!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
I'll believe it if I see it, I don't expect to see Dunn coming here. When was the last time we added a player through trade or free agency that was actively talked about in the media before it happened? When there were articles saying Kenny is in talks with team x to get player z. If anything this seems like deliberate obfuscation to raise leverage with other targets.

$6 mil and top prospect(s) for a 3 month rental seems extremely not sensible. If it included signing him to an extension, it makes more sense. Also, making a lot of sense would be signing Jim Thome this winter for $1.5 mil for the entire season, as he's putting up a .927 OPS.

Ummmm, Jake Peavy and Alex Rios last year.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
But not talked actively about them going to the White Sox.

Really? Peavy was almost traded earlier in the year, and there were those who believed (correctly) that the deal would eventually happen. And once Rios was placed on waivers, it was highly suspected that the Sox had claimed him.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
But not talked actively about them going to the White Sox.

yes, this was discussed a ton in the media. Especially Peavy in May. And everyone knew KW claimed Rios, the only question was whether there would be compensation going to the Blue Jays or if the Jays would just send Rios and his contract.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
Really? Peavy was almost traded earlier in the year, and there were those who believed (correctly) that the deal would eventually happen. And once Rios was placed on waivers, it was highly suspected that the Sox had claimed him.

Really. The Peavy-to-Sox trade came out of no where in the final 5 minutes of the trade deadline. Yeah after Rios was put on waivers, people (including myself), had a good idea it was the Sox who claimed him, but at that point he was already claimed, so it's not like Kenny claimed him after the media and Sox fans thought they should. He made the claim, THEN we speculated.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
yes, this was discussed a ton in the media. Especially Peavy in May. And everyone knew KW claimed Rios, the only question was whether there would be compensation going to the Blue Jays or if the Jays would just send Rios and his contract.

Yeah, that's because he was actually traded for in May, and then Peavy shot it down. At no point in July did I ever hear anything about Peavy to the White Sox.

Jim Thome was talked about for about a week before the deal got done, the only surprising things about that deal were how quickly it got done (the day before Thanksgiving) and that Rowand was a part of the trade. Same goes for Vazquez. There's more but I've forgotten them over the years, I'm sure a google search would come up with some of my posts over the years chronicling this sort of thing.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
Really. The Peavy-to-Sox trade came out of no where in the final 5 minutes of the trade deadline. Yeah after Rios was put on waivers, people (including myself), had a good idea it was the Sox who claimed him, but at that point he was already claimed, so it's not like Kenny claimed him after the media and Sox fans thought they should. He made the claim, THEN we speculated.

Peavy was almost acquired in May, it was the exact same thing in July. Sure, we didnt expect KW to go after Peavy again, but that doesnt mean the transaction wasnt previously discussed.

You can split hairs all you want, both of these moves were broken down in detail in the media before they happened. and the time frame wasnt the issue, Vance Law said "when was the last time the media speculated on a trade before it happened" and both of these transactions were speculated in the media before they happened.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Yeah, that's because he was actually traded for in May, and then Peavy shot it down. At no point in July did I ever hear anything about Peavy to the White Sox.

Was it discussed in the media before he was acquired? Yes. That was the question. it happened. Nowhere in Vance Laws post did he indicate a specific qualifying time frame.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
Was it discussed in the media before he was acquired? Yes. That was the question. it happened. Nowhere in Vance Laws post did he indicate a specific qualifying time frame.

We don't give the media enough credit then for predicting this months in advance. Hey, I heard the Sox were thinking about getting Alfonso Soriano, I mean, it was like 6 years ago, but the media is talking about it, so......

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
We don't give the media enough credit then for predicting this months in advance. Hey, I heard the Sox were thinking about getting Alfonso Soriano, I mean, it was like 6 years ago, but the media is talking about it, so......

LMAO. Whatever Joe, way to completely miss the point

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm just saying, I think we got a chance.

Yes, we have a chance. But it requires us to basically sell off 2 key parts of our 2011 board without the financial resources to replace them. It's all about that.

If I'm the Nats and I get the Hudson + Flowers + some A baller offer, I wait a week or so until the AS break and see if I get a better offer, and if not I'd pull the trigger.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
Peavy was almost acquired in May, it was the exact same thing in July. Sure, we didnt expect KW to go after Peavy again, but that doesnt mean the transaction wasnt previously discussed.

You can split hairs all you want, both of these moves were broken down in detail in the media before they happened. and the time frame wasnt the issue, Vance Law said "when was the last time the media speculated on a trade before it happened" and both of these transactions were speculated in the media before they happened.

Most of us actually read the writing on the wall in regards to Peavy. Peavy rejected the deal because he felt that the Padres were a more competitive team than the White Sox and offered the better chance of making it to the World Series. Rather than Williams throwing Peavy under the bus and really attempting to go after other alternatives, he acknowledged Peavy's right to do so, and said that the offer was still on the table. That same offer was kept on the table throughout the season, and Williams and Towers (who I believe was still in charge over there) made the deal and Peavy was a member of the White Sox. Just because that move happened out of nowhere isn't because it wasn't being discussed, but it didn't seem as though it was a possibility because Peavy was on the DL at the time. It had been discussed previously, and the Sox making that move really wasn't a shocker at all.

The idea that the White Sox simply don't make moves that are reported to the media is a false claim. The Sox give off smoke signals to try and keep what they are doing away from the media like any other organization in all of professional sports, but there are good reporters out there with good sources, and just because one or two of these reporters scoops a story about the White Sox being interested in a guy doesn't mean the Sox are suddenly going to stop pursuing the player because their interest in that player has been publicized (and to be quite honest, think about how ridiculous that scenario really is...oh no, the public knows I like this guy, better forget about acquiring him!)

I think the key point is that the media knows Kenny is always going to be aggressive, and always explore any big name player that may be available at any time. Kenny has made this point repeatedly. Basically, the media can just assume we are going to be involved in any and almost every big player that becomes available, and not really be inaccurate.

Where they do get caught unsuspecting is when Kenny gets creative and finds a player that is available that wasn't really speculated to be available, such as Nick Swisher.

Also, I believe that Dan Hudson's value alone is worth far more than the 2 draft picks that are being acquired for Dunn. Simply considering the present value of Dan Hudson's services alone far outweighs that of 2 draft picks who, if the team is very, very lucky, will make it to the majors 24 months after they are drafted (just meaning a season and a half...if they're drafted in 2011, the team will be extremely lucky to get any significant contribution from said player in June of the 2013 season).

If I am the White Sox, I don't give up any more than Hudson, Danks2, and a lower level minor leaguer for Dunn. Like I said above, Hudson's value, even as a #3 starter (which I assume people believe to be about a 4.25 ERA, which would probably make him closer to a league average #2 starter, but we'll say #3 and just run with it) is worth far more than 2 draft picks in next year's draft who won't be able to contribute until atleast 3 years after the trade is consummated anyways, especially considering Hudson is MLB ready right now. As such, his additional value goes towards covering the cost of Dunn. Add a talented player in the form of Jordan Danks in there as well as the upside of a lower level minor leaguer in there too, and you have yourself a deal.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
I'm just saying, I think we got a chance.

well sure, you mentioned a speculated deal that never happened 6 years ago, and I mentioned two speculated deals that did happen last year. So yeah, same thing