Putz for Closer

Quin

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 06:14 AM)
True, you usually don't get two in 4 days like this though. But to your point, if we rid ourselves of the Jenks problem in the closers role, HOPEFULLY we can minimize the giveaway games.

with Santos having a hard time fooling anyone, suddenly the 6th-7th innings become scary.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:15 AM)
with Santos having a hard time fooling anyone, suddenly the 6th-7th innings become scary.

Well we're going to need the starting pitching to carry us, but we knew that already. The bullpen depth we all thought we had is now questionable at best though, I will say that. Moving Putz to closer basically means we have one reliable setup man right now.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 06:16 AM)
Well we're going to need the starting pitching to carry us, but we knew that already. The bullpen depth we all thought we had is now questionable at best though, I will say that. Moving Putz to closer basically means we have one reliable setup man right now.

let's just hope Thornton and Putz are healthy, and Ozzie had a bet with someone that he could have an extra inning game and not warm up his two best relievers.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
True, you usually don't get two in 4 days like this though. But to your point, if we rid ourselves of the Jenks problem in the closers role, HOPEFULLY we can minimize the giveaway games. As of now, we don't have anymore of those than other teams. But if Jenks is left in as closer, that will change. Because as I said after Sunday's games, the numbers say he's due to blow several in a short period of time.

Then you have to move someone up to take Putz's place and pray we don't lose games in the 7th instead of 9th.

I'm a fan of common sense, so wishing they DFA "that f***ing fatass" is idiotic to me. You do what you did earlier in the year, give him a break, slowly work him back in and hope he finds it again. We need him to be June/July Bobby or hope every pitcher goes at least 7 from here out.

And that "he was due" is still BS. He's had those numbers all season, it makes no difference.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
Then you have to move someone up to take Putz's place and pray we don't lose games in the 7th instead of 9th.

I'm a fan of common sense, so wishing they DFA "that f***ing fatass" is idiotic to me. You do what you did earlier in the year, give him a break, slowly work him back in and hope he finds it again. We need him to be June/July Bobby or hope every pitcher goes at least 7 from here out.

And that "he was due" is still BS. He's had those numbers all season, it makes no difference.

I don't care that he's fat! His weight has nothing to do with the fact he sucks, and can't be allowed to close. I'd rather worry about losing a game in the 7th when one of our really good starters might still be in the game, than worry about losing it in the 9th when there is no time left to recover.

And he was due is still right. If you give up a ton of baserunners but aren't blowing saves, common sense tells you that eventually such good fortune will run out. Lots of baserunners and high ERA=not good pitcher, and not good pitcher when he's a closer=blown saves.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)

If there were a starting pitcher with an era over 5 who had no losses, would you not say that he was due to lose a game eventually? Looking at a closer's saves is exactly the same as looking at wins for a pitcher. Getting saves, much like getting wins, is an entire team stat, not just one guy who happened to pitch at a certain time.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:18 AM)
I think bobby might be great in a setup role. But not closer. It's not like he's making good pitches and they're just hitting them. He doesn't even throw a curve for strikes anymore....something's wrong.

Why would he be better in a set-up role? His stuff blows. Doesn't matter what inning he pitches.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:22 AM)
I don't care that he's fat! His weight has nothing to do with the fact he sucks, and can't be allowed to close. I'd rather worry about losing a game in the 7th when one of our really good starters might still be in the game, than worry about losing it in the 9th when there is no time left to recover.

And he was due is still right. If you give up a ton of baserunners but aren't blowing saves, common sense tells you that eventually such good fortune will run out. Lots of baserunners and high ERA=not good pitcher, and not good pitcher when he's a closer=blown saves.

Haha, I wasn't directing that to you, just at the board in general since that will be the response instead of wanting him to fix it.

Then what explains the 5 weeks or so when he was awesome? Thats why it doesn't make sense. So he was due for about 6 weeks and its finally hitting now? You can't stretch it that far

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 06:27 AM)
Then what explains the 5 weeks or so when he was awesome? Thats why it doesn't make sense. So he was due for about 6 weeks and its finally hitting now? You can't stretch it that far

facing NL Teams? Half serious, half joking

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
Haha, I wasn't directing that to you, just at the board in general since that will be the response instead of wanting him to fix it.

The guy had a period of over a month in which he was awesome in a season that's barely more than 90 games old, and his numbers STILL absolutely suck. Just think about useless he's been outside of that period of excellence. Now, that period is still there, and we can hope he finds that success again. He just can't be allowed to attempt to in the closers role when we have two great options for it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
Misleading title. I thought the OP was suggesting trading Putz for a closer. 2 points:

1) The bridge to the closer is as important as the closer so the 8th inning guy is valuable

2) Jenks is pretty useless outside of being a closer since he needs that adrenaline/stage so basically, you try a new closer but lose out on the valuable 8th inning guy.

Jenks was memorable in 2005 and hasn't been the same since.

He's doesn't hold runners on base and is terrible at fielding his position.

It's just time for him to move on.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:32 AM)
Jenks was memorable in 2005 and hasn't been the same since.

He's doesn't hold runners on base and is terrible at fielding his position.

It's just time for him to move on.

Huh? Did you skip 06 and 07?

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
Hell Delusional, Meet Bobby. Bobby meet Delusional.

From Cowley:

Jenks: "(Sunday) in Minnesota was on me, but tonight I had good stuff..."

LMAO

The only explanation for this line of thought is that Bobby fell off the wagon and is now getting smashed before post game interviews, and perhaps even before save situations.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
bah, dammit Robert. Well time for Putz for a few and pray he finds it again like he did in June.

Your closer just needs to come in and get 3 outs.

No different than any other inning.

That's just pressure these pitchers put on themselves.

Seattle couldn't hit anyone until they got to Jenks.

Trick or Threets had just struck on the side for crying out loud!

It is amazing how many people have blind faith in Jenks. Plain and simple, regardless if you lose a set up man or not, you need to be able to put someone out there in save situation that you can trust to get you 3 outs.

And Jenks f***ing blows right now and you can't trust him in any situation.

FYI jenks isn't the closer anymore per Ozzie, going by committee, and

i guarantee you all this

it came from Kenny

we all know ozzie would rush fatass out there every single time no matter how bad he is, thank you K-Dub

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
It is amazing how many people have blind faith in Jenks. Plain and simple, regardless if you lose a set up man or not, you need to be able to put someone out there in save situation that you can trust to get you 3 outs.

And Jenks f***ing blows right now and you can't trust him in any situation.

It's not blind faith (cept for greg maybe :) ) Its called not being a f***in psycho about him and realizing we'll need him to be good unless you want Linebrink moved up a slot.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:38 AM)
FYI jenks isn't the closer anymore per Ozzie, going by committee, and

i guarantee you all this

it came from Kenny

we all know ozzie would rush fatass out there every single time no matter how bad he is, thank you K-Dub

lol@Ozzie listening to Kenny.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
Jenks fields his position just fine. Mark Buehrle couldn't have made a play on Wilson's bunt.

I'm not talking about the Wilson play.

He generally is not a good fielder.

I see you didn't comment on his inability to hold runners on base LIKE LAST NIGHT.

The next time you see Jenks throw over to first to keep a runner close WILL BE THE FIRST TIME.

Some of you Sox fans are just as delusional as the management.

Edited by mcgrad70