White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Honestly, the only thing that makes sense about this move is if KW spins Jackson over to the Nats for Dunn. Otherwise, looking at it from every angle I can think of, it is a dumb trade.

Fixed for you, Great Carnak

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Jax was not Good nor great last year. Edwin Jackson put up a spectacular set of numbers in the first half of last season based on putting up a .249 BABIP. His BABIP, as we always say it does, regressed towards his career mean of .315 in the 2nd half. In the first half of last season he put up an ERA around 2.5, in the 2nd half he put up an ERA of 5.07.

Edwin Jackson's terrible 2nd half was key to the Twins taking the division from the Tigers last year. Hell, he was on the mound for Game 162 and the White Sox shelled him.

He's putting up an ERA >5 this season in the National League for a reason. And it's not because of his BABIP.

I thought it was you who put his xFIP and FIP up at sub-5? Maybe not.

Anyway, I was referring to his brief period of greatness as the first half of last year. A half-season ain't chump change, it's definitely enough to firmly declare that he has the ability to succeed. He also had some phenomenal periods in TB. I think our pitching coach is superior to either of those two guys, and I think there's a decent chance that he succeeds with us. Yes, it's still a chance, and that's what makes it a gamble. But it's a gamble I think could pay huge dividends if it succeeds. Much bigger dividends than keeping Hudson in our system.

I'll put it this way: you have Coop in a room with one young player. Would you rather have him sit down with the guy with great stuff and mediocre command or mediocre stuff and great command? You can't make a middle-of-the-road arm a great arm. You can make crap control good control sometimes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
I will say this...this trade has produced 2 very odd groupings of people who agree/disagree with it.

Im open to seeing what happens, and not willing to condemn anything at this point

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
I will say this...this trade has produced 2 very odd groupings of people who agree/disagree with it.

my position is "I don't know, even if Jackson doesn't get moved." I think my reaction seemingly falling into the "agree" camp is the fact that basically many posters are saying if we don't hate the trade we don't know anything about how to run a MLB club when I'm saying I'm giving KW the benefit of the doubt

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)

Anyway, I was referring to his brief period of greatness as the first half of last year. A half-season ain't chump change, it's definitely enough to firmly declare that he has the ability to succeed. He also had some phenomenal periods in TB. I think our pitching coach is superior to either of those two guys, and I think there's a decent chance that he succeeds with us. Yes, it's still a chance, and that's what makes it a gamble. But it's a gamble I think could pay huge dividends if it succeeds. Much bigger dividends than keeping Hudson in our system.

I'll put it this way: you have Coop in a room with one young player. Would you rather have him sit down with the guy with great stuff and mediocre command or mediocre stuff and great command? You can't make a middle-of-the-road arm a great arm. You can make crap control good control sometimes.

That was me.

I have no problems with Edwin Jackson's talents. If anything, he actually has upside.

I have an issue with what we gave up for him and how much we'll have to pay for him.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)

I keep saying this and it's especially noteworthy since you're already allowing advanced stats in your post...his first half last year was the definition of an anomaly. He put up a great first half last year with a .249 BABIP. His BABIP in the 2nd half matched his career mark of .316, and he put up an associated ERA over 5.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Honestly, the only thing that makes sense about this move is if KW spins Jackson over to the Nats for Dunn. Otherwise, looking at it from every angle, unless Coop can actually fix him, and fix him fast, it is a dumb trade.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Fixed for you, Great Carnak

Fixed it again.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
I sure as hell wouldn't.

Easily a no doubter for me. 8 Mil + Hudson > Jackson and his awful stats.

Call me a gambler, but I'd rather see how Hudson does since it wouldn't be hard to do what Jackson has done.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
KW presser at 4:30 per the Score.

well that's interesting, watch the line-ups until then I guess, surprised he would have a press conference before the deadline, even if Dunn isn't happening I don't expect him to come out and say "this is the team, no other trades" with an evening left before the deadline.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
unless he pitches well in his 10 or whatever starts with the Sox

And then he is still the pitcher that 4 teams have traded since 2008 and comes with a big salary.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
And then he is still the pitcher that 4 teams have traded since 2008 and comes with a big salary.

pitching market is always thin, if he pitches well for the Sox in his 2 months here, if he's here, I have little doubt the Sox would have trouble finding a spot for him.

Hudson reminds me of B-Mac. A guy that was beloved by this board, but who I never was a fan of.

I could be very wrong, but Hudson just was meh to me. Ive always loved Jackson's stuff, its just a matter of whether or not he can harness it.

Almost every time id take the guy with more dominant stuff. The 8mil is the only reason we are getting Jackson this cheap.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
Call me a gambler, but I'd rather see how Hudson does since it wouldn't be hard to do what Jackson has done.

The only thing that would convince me to like this deal is learning that Jackson is one of those guys Cooper explicitly wanted.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
Hudson reminds me of B-Mac. A guy that was beloved by this board, but who I never was a fan of.

I could be very wrong, but Hudson just was meh to me. Ive always loved Jackson's stuff, its just a matter of whether or not he can harness it.

Almost every time id take the guy with more dominant stuff. The 8mil is the only reason we are getting Jackson this cheap.

Besides the fact that hes sucked.

Hopefully the Sox arent just trading on past stats, but instead on future potential.

I mean Gavin Floyd "sucked" but hes done allright.

Matt "sucked" but with a little work turned it around.

Loaiza, Contreras, etc. etc.

You can work with some one who has dominant stuff.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)

Serious question...what does Jackson throw that is more dominant than Hudson? Hudson was touching 94-95 in his starts, Jackson goes 96-97 right?

Fastball, slider, changeup for each of them? I've already seen Hudson throw a few legit "this is a very good pitch" changeups. Hudson doesn't yet have the slider, can you give other differences?