White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
I wonder why the Sox n Cubs don't work something out. This is one year they need to dump some players and we actually might be able to use either Lee, Lilly, Ramirez or gulp, Zamby.

You are just going to keep on going with this Cubs stuff arent you? Let it go...nobody wants any of their pieces of shipp.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Ill play "What my eyes tell me". And id say on the majority of White Sox trades, ive been on the right side (look it up if youd like).

I was a huge fan of the Floyd trade when no one else was, and once again Ill be the only person who is a fan of this trade if I have to be.

Salary is irrelevant in this discussion because the people who have the money, have decided that salary didnt matter. I am comfortable that Reinsdorf wont overspend and put his team in peril for the next few seasons.

That leaves the only consideration of who is better, Hudson or Jackson.

I think Hudson is a serviceable pitcher, but im not sure that I want him as a playoff pitcher this year. That would mean Freddy would be our 4. With Jackson the Sox have flexibility (if he stays).

Jackson has been brutal since his no hitter, my guess is that he is suffering from dead arm. Not a great time to be picking him up, but most likely you wouldnt get Jackson for Hudson at any other team.

Its clear Hudson wasnt a hot commodity to anyone else but fans on this message board.

Salary is relevant and you are saying so in this same sentence. If Jerry won't overspend then the Sox are tapping out their allotment of salary on a 4th starter who won't have much positive impact in lieu of a big bat who would have an impact every day.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
I don't understand this. Lilly was an above-average pitcher in Toronto and Oakland before his numbers were inflated by playing for the Cubs. He's a lot safer than Jackson and we won't owe him $8.35M next year.

Ted Lilly has one of the worst groundball-flyball ratios in the game of baseball right now, and he doesn't get a lot of outs by strikeouts. US Cellular field right now is by far the most home-run friendly ballpark in baseball; beating even Yankee stadium. You put Lilly in the Cell and he's likely to lead the league in HR given up for the next couple months.

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
Something else has got to happen before this deadline. Something really huge...mark my words, because the numbers arent matching up and the trade doesnt make sense.

I got a really bad feeling right now we won't see any more moves.

Quick question, whose roster spot did Harrell take when he got called up? Or is Edwin not on our 25 yet?

How many World Series did the Sox win the previous 80 years before Kenny?

How many playoff appears did the Sox have the previous 10 years before Kenny?

How many Central Division Championships did the White Sox win with Schueler as GM?

Its not a lifetime pass, but if you were a Sox fan from 1980-2000 you appreciate what Kenny has done a lot more.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
You are just going to keep on going with this Cubs stuff arent you? Let it go...nobody wants any of their pieces of shipp.

Plus, nobody calls Zambrano "Zamby"

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Ill play "What my eyes tell me". And id say on the majority of White Sox trades, ive been on the right side (look it up if youd like).

I was a huge fan of the Floyd trade when no one else was, and once again Ill be the only person who is a fan of this trade if I have to be.

Salary is irrelevant in this discussion because the people who have the money, have decided that salary didnt matter. I am comfortable that Reinsdorf wont overspend and put his team in peril for the next few seasons.

That leaves the only consideration of who is better, Hudson or Jackson.

I think Hudson is a serviceable pitcher, but im not sure that I want him as a playoff pitcher this year. That would mean Freddy would be our 4. With Jackson the Sox have flexibility (if he stays).

Jackson has been brutal since his no hitter, my guess is that he is suffering from dead arm. Not a great time to be picking him up, but most likely you wouldnt get Jackson for Hudson at any other team.

Its clear Hudson wasnt a hot commodity to anyone else but fans on this message board.

Jackson has thrown consistently before, during, and after his no hitter, hes been clocked at 94 the whole time.

How is salary irrelevent? The Sox will not go past a certain mark, and EJax's salary makes it all that much harder to stay under said amount (which will probably range between $95-110 mill depending on attendance and if we make the postseason/how far we go in it).

A servicable starter at league min >>>> A servicable starter making $8.5 million.

I too was a fan of the Floyd trade, we got back 2 young pitchers and dumped Freddy's salary. I thought we could have gotten more, but was not upset at all by that trade because it was clear that something was wrong physically with Freddy.

It will be pretty funny when Hudson never becomes anything close to a 2 starter

He seemed like he had pretty good stuff, to me. Chances are he'll be better than Jackson IMO.

Also, Clayton Richard ain't doing too bad for the Pods. Isn't Hudson a better prospect than Richard?

Would you guys love to have Garland or Richard back now? Or like to have them back?

Salary is relevant and you are saying so in this same sentence. If Jerry won't overspend then the Sox are tapping out their allotment of salary on a 4th starter who won't have much positive impact in lieu of a big bat who would have an impact every day.

No that presupposes that some how the White Sox could have used the money that Jackson will receive this year for a bat.

The more likely scenario is that Hudson could not get the White Sox anything better than Jackson.

And salary is relevant overall, but not in the context of this trade. Reinsdorf decided that they could afford Jackson. If salary was an issue they would have gotten money back or not done the trade.

The Sox clearly feel they can afford this salary, therefore it is not relevant.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
How many World Series did the Sox win the previous 80 years before Kenny?

How many playoff appears did the Sox have the previous 10 years before Kenny?

How many Central Division Championships did the White Sox win with Schueler as GM?

Its not a lifetime pass, but if you were a Sox fan from 1980-2000 you appreciate what Kenny has done a lot more.

I appreciate alot that Kenny has done, does that mean I shouldnt want my favorite team in my favorite sport to be teh best it can be? That if I dont agree with a trade that I cannot express my opinions on it? I cannot say that I see this trade haunting the Sox not because of Hudson possibly being a stud (I see him as an AL #3 in the future) but because of the salary constraints it puts on us next year coupled with what I see as marginal improvement?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
He seemed like he had pretty good stuff, to me. Chances are he'll be better than Jackson IMO.

Also, Clayton Richard ain't doing too bad for the Pods. Isn't Hudson a better prospect than Richard?

Would you guys love to have Garland or Richard back now? Or like to have them back?

You could have good era pitching in that park.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)

Podsednik has his own guy?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
The more likely scenario is that Hudson could not get the White Sox anything better than Jackson.

Then the White Sox shouldn't have moved Hudson.

If you think other teams are undervaluing your players, you don't move them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
No that presupposes that some how the White Sox could have used the money that Jackson will receive this year for a bat.

And salary is relevant overall, but not in the context of this trade. Reinsdorf decided that they could afford Jackson. If salary was an issue they would have gotten money back or not done the trade.

Sure, the Sox can afford to have EJax in the payroll next year, but at what cost? At the cost of not being able to fill the massive amount of holes next year?

Wharris,

Dont you know Brandon Allen was Ruth and Hudson was Cy Young.

We gave away everything for nothing!

DAMN THEM!

(haha)

Anyways for all the love Hudson is getting, people seem to forget that Jackson was basically untouchable in the Dodger farm system and was considered one of the top future pitchers in all of baseball not to long ago.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)

?

This is ridiculous.