White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
hmmm... interesting

Suddenly makes sense that the Sox believe they could make the deal for someone other than Jackson. Sox probably view him as a starter, and they have closer candidates to deal: Santos, maybe Pena.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The value in return for Hudson is all subjective, one person may look at EJax and say, "This is all we got for our best prospect?" while others will say you dont worry about the finances and you added a ML pitcher who possibly could be a stud with Cooper.

Just look at the Blue Jays-Astros swap of Wallace-Gose. The Blue Jays loved that deal, but meanwhile everyone else in baseball is scratching their heads.

time to get it checked out...

No sarcasm. If the GM acquires a lefthanded big bat like Dunn and he platoons with a lefty weakling like Kotsay, yes I feel that is a fireable offense. I worship Ozzie but that would be insane. I can't imagine that happening with Dunn/Kotsay.

Payroll for the next year?

In the starting rotation I have:

MB, Danks, Peavy, Gavin

That means the Sox only need 1 SP.

The difference in price between a Garcia type veteran and Hudson is roughly $1-2mil.

Thats not exactly crippling.

What doesnt make sense is adding Jackson's salary, but that is why I think there is something else going on.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Payroll for the next year?

In the starting rotation I have:

MB, Danks, Peavy, Gavin

That means the Sox only need 1 SP.

The difference in price between a Garcia type veteran and Hudson is roughly $1-2mil.

Thats not exactly crippling.

What doesnt make sense is adding Jackson's salary, but that is why I think there is something else going on.

there's also the very realistic situation where the White Sox make one more effort to sign Danks to an extension, it doesn't happen and they move him, in the offseason he could get a ton.... wouldn't like it, but it could happen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
No sarcasm. If the GM acquires a lefthanded big bat like Dunn and he platoons with a lefty weakling like Kotsay, yes I feel that is a fireable offense. I worship Ozzie but that would be insane. I can't imagine that happening with Dunn/Kotsay.

Greg, I was joking about Kotsay and Dunn platooning.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
The people who don't like the Hudson deal are not complaining because of Hudson's talent. It's the way he fits into the team's payroll next season that made him more valuable.

That simply cannot be ignored.

the people who like the hudson deal cant seem to figure out that payroll actually is a major factor

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
the people who like the hudson deal cant seem to figure out that payroll actually is a major factor

You just have to go back to the "I want KW and Ozzie fired" thread to see how people dont understand payroll and wat it effects.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
The Nats just traded their starting 2B to the Rangers, I think it's pretty obvious that Gordon is on his way to Washington! Sure KW told him he wouldn't be traded but that hasn't stopped him in the past. (Gio)

I think that has more to do with Ian Kinsler being on the DL.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
You just have to go back to the "I want KW and Ozzie fired" thread to see how people dont understand payroll and wat it effects.

It's obviously Lillibridge going.

The Nats just traded their starting 2B to the Rangers, I think it's pretty obvious that Gordon is on his way to Washington! Sure KW told him he wouldn't be traded but that hasn't stopped him in the past. (Gio)

That's going to be sad losing Beckham. Very sad. I like everything about him.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)

no, I'm smart enough to figure it out, I'm also factoring in that the trade deadline isn't here yet, so we're all speculating on what the Sox roster will look like and KW and JR are aware of what their budget is both this year and next year and they have done everything in their power to make this a team that competes every season, doesn't always work, but 2 out of the last 5 years they were in the playoffs in a division that has had other good teams and one of those years they won the WS, also, in the 6th year they are in 1st place on July 30th. It's not crazy that some of us have faith that they know what they're doing.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)

Hell, even without payroll, I'm not sure Hudson can't outpitch Jackson this season.

The usual rule of thumb is that the difference in ERA between a pitcher in the AL and in the NL, doing the same thing, is about 0.75-1.0 earned runs tacked onto your ERA if you go to the AL.

On Jackson's performance this year, you might expect his ERA to wind up near 6.

Furthermore, he is a career 1st half pitcher. Career ERA 4.47 in the first half, 5.09 in the 2nd half. He wears down, it looks like. Even worse, his ERA in August and September last year for the Tigers, during a pennant race, was 5.45. And that was pitching in Comerica for half his games.

I just can't get mad about trades anymore. I'm not the owner so I don't have a say in what KW does. I prefer to just watch and cheer for whoever they put out there. Except in the case of Juan Pierre. That one pissed me off.

Yeah I dont understand what payroll is.

/rolls eyes

There is more to payroll than just adding up numbers on a message board and acting like its some secret.

If the Sox added jackson, they understand their payroll better than you or I.

Looking at my post it should be pretty clear there are only 2 possible scenarios:

1) Jackson is going to be traded.

2) Another starter is going to be traded.

I earlier suggested that the big trade could involve Danks. Danks has not signed an extension yet and could command far more than Jackson. The Sox may see Jackson as a semi-replacement for Danks in the future and are going to cash in on Danks now while they can.

So its more that I believe that the Sox management understands that payroll is a factor so if they added Jackson, they must have some sort of reason/solution to go with the payroll situation.

Ive never seen Jerry write checks that he cant cash, so Ill trust that Jerry/Einhorn and the rest understand payroll more than this message board.

Sorry if that comes off as offensive, but thats reality.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)

Oh don't even get me started. If we pull off Dunn and Myers you are going to have a lot of answering to do, Russ...:)

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Yeah I dont understand what payroll is.

/rolls eyes

There is more to payroll than just adding up numbers on a message board and acting like its some secret.

If the Sox added jackson, they understand their payroll better than you or I.

Looking at my post it should be pretty clear there are only 2 possible scenarios:

1) Jackson is going to be traded.

2) Another starter is going to be traded.

I earlier suggested that the big trade could involve Danks. Danks has not signed an extension yet and could command far more than Jackson. The Sox may see Jackson as a semi-replacement for Danks in the future and are going to cash in on Danks now while they can.

So its more that I believe that the Sox management understands that payroll is a factor so if they added Jackson, they must have some sort of reason/solution to go with the payroll situation.

Ive never seen Jerry write checks that he cant cash, so Ill trust that Jerry/Einhorn and the rest understand payroll more than this message board.

Sorry if that comes off as offensive, but thats reality.

Why would the Sox trade Danks now? Hes too damn valuable as a starter to just trade him now during the season unless we got someone like Grienke and a bat.