White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Then we've got a choice if somehow we dump Jackson's contract. Either we go and find Bartolo Colon and see if he'll sign for another $500k next offseason, or we take Jackson's $8 million and spend it on another overpaid FA pitcher somewhere.

Unless we've got a method to catch Freddy Garcia-like lightning in a bottle next year, or we're totally insane and we're going to dump Sale into the fryer immediately next year, we're going to need another starting pitcher if we somehow became the 4th team to give up on Jackson in 2 years, and we're absolutely not going to get an MLB-ready minor league arm for him.

I think that's quite the stretch considering he hasn't thrown a single pitch for us. Let's give him a chance to pitch before we declare that his value will significantly decline between now and the offseason.

This is a terrible trade for the White Sox, maybe one of Kenny's worst. I have all the faith in KW and there have been numerous times where we've all been proven wrong and I pray this is one of those times. But on face value we traded our best pitching prospect, who was filling in nicely as the #5 but had the ceiling of mid-rotation, who was under team control cheap for 5+ years for a mid-rotation type who's under control for one more year after 2010 and who's contract will balloon to $8.35 M next year. Not to mention we also kicked in another decent(LHSP? I thought we were low on those) prospect in Holmberg.

Nothing against Jackson, he's got potential, but you don't trade Hudson for him. The only way to rectify this is if we make an even swap of EJ for Dunn. No other prospects included; i f**king mean it not even a Josh Kroeger type. No Viciedo. No Flowers. No Morel. Just EJ for Dunn. That way it works out as Hudson/Holmberg for Dunn. But even then were left with a hole in the back of the rotation

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
Balta pretty much summed it up.

Even if you do trade him, then you still need to sign a 5th starter.

It's still a distinction.

Let's see what kind of numbers Jackson puts up over his last 10-12 starts before we start putting a value on his contract next season.

In the meantime, we're not paying him a ridiculous amount of money for the remainder of this year.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Score not broadcasting it live. B&B said they'll talk to their reporter when its done.

yea - i'm listening to the score - don't know what their deal is in not broadcasting it.

i've now had the pleasure of listening to horrid announcers on the score...

yay.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
This is a terrible trade for the White Sox, maybe one of Kenny's worst. I have all the faith in KW and there have been numerous times where we've all been proven wrong and I pray this is one of those times. But on face value we traded our best pitching prospect, who was filling in nicely as the #5 but had the ceiling of mid-rotation, who was under team control cheap for 5+ years for a mid-rotation type who's under control for one more year after 2010 and who's contract will balloon to $8.35 M next year. Not to mention we also kicked in another decent(LHSP? I thought we were low on those) prospect in Holmberg.

Nothing against Jackson, he's got potential, but you don't trade Hudson for him. The only way to rectify this is if we make an even swap of EJ for Dunn. No other prospects included; i f**king mean it not even a Josh Kroeger type. No Viciedo. No Flowers. No Morel. Just EJ for Dunn. That way it works out as Hudson/Holmberg for Dunn. But even then were left with a hole in the back of the rotation

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Seriously guys? This is the worst trade KW has ever made? This has been a terrible deadline? I've seen several people mention it so far. Um, this guy has way better stuff than Hudson does, is still relatively young, has experience pitching in the AL Central, has experience being in a pennant race, and is under control for another year for decent money.

Now I know what people mean when they say the Sox have overvalued Hudson. The way I think of him is the way people thought of Jeff Bajanaru.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
How does fangraphs rank all of Jackson's pitches? I know scouts were raving about his slider to start last season.

-5.7 on the fastball this year, +3.2 on the slider, -3.1 on the curve, exactly league average on change up.

last year was:

-8.9 FB

+17.7 slider

+2.9 CB

-2.9 change

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
How does fangraphs rank all of Jackson's pitches? I know scouts were raving about his slider to start last season.

Jackson's best pitch is his slider. He was +18 last year. +3 this year.

Ken_Rosenthal deal of their liking. #Rays can't be sure Dunn will succeed as DH after failed expriment w Burrell. #Nationals might be stuck. #Yankees #MLB

4 minutes ago

Ken_Rosenthal Berkman to #Yankees could put #Nationals in bind with Dunn. Nats lose big potential suitor. #WhiteSox can hold out for (MORE) #Rays #MLB

Here is what fangraphs says:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/t...os-perspective/

Jackson is under contract for $8.35 million next year, thanks to a two-year deal from the D’Backs that was heavily back loaded. While Jackson isn’t a stud, he’ll be worth his contract and a little more. After next season, Jackson will be a free agent and should be able to command about $10 million a year on the open market.

Interesting that they believe Jackson will be worth $10mil on the open market.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)

Big fastball = Big $

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal deal of their liking. #Rays can't be sure Dunn will succeed as DH after failed expriment w Burrell. #Nationals might be stuck. #Yankees #MLB

4 minutes ago

Ken_Rosenthal Berkman to #Yankees could put #Nationals in bind with Dunn. Nats lose big potential suitor. #WhiteSox can hold out for (MORE) #Rays #MLB

Maybe that means we keep Jackson after all.

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)

Hah, you conveniently failed to mention this part:

Kenny Williams likes to deal, but this is not one of his better ones. One may expect the price for Jackson to be lower than what the White Sox paid, given what the returns were for superior pitchers in Roy Oswalt and Dan Haren. Instead of keeping Hudson and letting him fill the rotation spot that Jake Peavy vacated, the White Sox decided to go out and fill it with a more expensive source. While Jackson probably won’t be enough by himself to change the direction of the White Sox’s season, he is a good piece for this year and beyond. All that remains to be seen is if he will stay a White Sox for long.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)

4 minutes ago

if Rays have option to get Dunn and they don't because of Burrel's failure I would be shocked, but hey, if that's so works for the White Sox

I didnt miss it.

Ive never said this was KW's best deal.

I just dont think it was a bad deal, and Fangraphs seems to believe the same thing:

he is a good piece for this year and beyond

KW has some amazing deals under his belt, in order to be one of his better ones it has to be a complete decimation for the other team, something like Floyd, CQ, etc.