White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
They are only 5 gms back in the wildcard they aren't out of it by a long shot

5 games out is a longshot when you also have 4 teams to pass. Hopefully LA loses a few this weekend to knock them back a little further. I'm not surprised by LA saying publicly they're not inclined to make trades, they should be saying that no matter what to keep some leverage over Kenny.

Edited by bighurt574

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
If the Sox and Twins series go as planned we could be out of it more than the Dodgers by Tuesday. Would we still want Manny if we lose all 3 to NY and the Twins win all 3 vs. Seattle?

We may not have a choice. LA can still dump Manny on us if they want.

If we have a bad weekend, Kenny may just avoid sweeting the pot any.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
If the Sox and Twins series go as planned we could be out of it more than the Dodgers by Tuesday. Would we still want Manny if we lose all 3 to NY and the Twins win all 3 vs. Seattle?

I don't know what "plan" book you are reading from, but that ain't my plan for our Sox this weekend.

:gosox1:

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
5 games out is a longshot when you also have 4 teams to pass.

not so much they can make up alot of that ground the next two weeks.

dodgers remaining schedule

9 gms vs Colorado

3 gms vs Philadelphia

6 gms vs San Francisco

6 gms vs San Diego

6 gms vs Arizona

4 gms vs Houston

they arent out of it by a long shot

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Ozzie is the antithesis of a love him or hate him guy. Go on any other boards and you will find people who hate the living s*** out of him, or thinks he's great for baseball cause of his antics. Some fans bases hate him a bit more (Detroit, Cleveland, LA for example) than others.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
Was there as well. I remember saying to one of my buddies(might have been someone from here) "you can't give Manny Ramirez an extra swing," and boom.

Apparently everyone was at that game because I was there as well. I said the same damn thing and a few seconds later I saw maybe the hardest hit ball I've ever witnessed in person.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
So does Manny basically get the next couple of days off so he doesn't risk any injury before a trade happens?

probably not going to get any time off if they are serious the wildcard spot....if he's out of the lineup it's because they are going to dump him and are just using that statement as leverage over KW

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Apparently everyone was at that game because I was there as well. I said the same damn thing and a few seconds later I saw maybe the hardest hit ball I've ever witnessed in person.
Me too. I think that was the least surprised I've ever been by someone hitting a homer. I would've been more surprised if he struck out or popped out or something.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
Why? You got man love for Kotsay or something?

Why not just chant it when every hitter comes up? I don't think it will help anything, just make it seem like the Sox are insecure and want a cheater on the team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
Why not just chant it when every hitter comes up? I don't think it will help anything, just make it seem like the Sox are insecure and want a cheater on the team.

They ought to be insecure. They're several games back and they've gotten their tails handed to them by the Twins repeatedly.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)

or we can just be content with playing mark (i ground out to 2nd base twice a game) kotsay and hope to god someone else steps up

you really have to give the whole cheating thing a break.....there are a whole lot more players that "cheated" than just manny.....

as the ol' saying goes....if you ain't cheating you ain't trying!

To those who are against the White Sox acquiring Manny because he is a cheater: Manny most likely was a cheater years ago but I'm going to assume that he is "clean" now and will be during his stay with the Sox. Even the banned substance he was suspended for last year was not a steroid but a drug many athletes take when trying to recover after they stop taking steroids.

If Manny is caught taking steroids while with the Sox I would support dumping him on the spot. But I'm not going to get all self righteous over something he did years ago while playing for the competition. If "Clean Manny" produces for the 2010 White Sox, I will be cheering him on.

Also, I never liked Manny because of his attitude, but again as long as he plays well here I'll be happy.

One more point to those vehemently opposed to KW acquiring Manny: I suppose you are also outraged that Tyler Flowers was brought up to the major league roster last year and continues to be part of the organization.

Also, I never liked Manny because of his attitude, but again as long as he plays well here I'll be happy.

The cheating is most of it, but I also simply have hated him as a me-first asshole type player. I'm not suddenly going to approve of him just cause he's wearing our jersey.

That said, I'll root for us to win with him as Albert Belle was the biggest prick in the history of baseball and I still wanted us to win.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)

The point is that Manny is replacing Kotsay (hopefully), thus we chant "Man-ny" when Kotsay comes up so he realizes he is about to lose his job. Sounds hilarious to me. I hope it happens.