Closing Committee

Bizness

On Saturday night the Chicago White Sox defeated the Oakland Athletics 4-2. Gavin Floyd had another great outing and JJ Putz closed out the game. Wait JJ Putz closed out the game?

Manager Ozzie Guillen chose to go with Putz in the 9th over resident closer Bobby Jenks. Guillen stated that Jenks was held out of the game due to back stiffness.

But maybe there is more to it. After Thursday’s blown save Guillen said, “You know what? Ask Bobby what he wants to do. I don’t know. I don’t say we’ve lost confidence, but when your closer gives up one run (that’s acceptable).

“The last three times he blew the game, he gave up three or four runs. Right now, I don’t know yet. Like I keep saying, when Bobby’s the closer, our bullpen is better. But right now, I’ve got to wait and see what I’m going to do for next couple of days.”

Then after Saturday’s game Guillen said, “Bobby’s got a bad back the way Bobby’s been throwing, we’ve got options out there. We have to wait to put Bobby back in the closer rotation.”

That does not strike me as a confident backing of Bobby Jenks and really Ozzie should not have confidence in Bobby. Simply put Jenks really has not had it this season. All season Jenks has walked that thin line between success and disaster.

http://www.jonathanhoodshow.com/?p=2452

Jenks has been good at times (even if some fans refuse to believe it) bad at times this season.

If Putz is hot, go with him a while. Bobby still gets paid. It's not like they are withholding his millions of dollars.

I'd let Putz close, quite frankly, til he blows one. If Bobby does have a bad back, the time off won't hurt him.

Closer by committee should not be an evil saying in baseball. For some reason, it is.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 12:52 AM)
Jenks has been good at times (even if some fans refuse to believe it) bad at times this season.

If Putz is hot, go with him a while. Bobby still gets paid. It's not like they are withholding his millions of dollars.

I'd let Putz close, quite frankly, til he blows one. If Bobby does have a bad back, the time off won't hurt him.

Closer by committee should not be an evil saying in baseball. For some reason, it is.

I think everyone is willing to admit he's had both good and bad stretches...

As far as closer by committee goes, usually that's when there are no good candidates. We have a handful. Might as well play the hot hand.

QUOTE (Bizness @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
On Saturday night the Chicago White Sox defeated the Oakland Athletics 4-2. Gavin Floyd had another great outing and JJ Putz closed out the game. Wait JJ Putz closed out the game?

Manager Ozzie Guillen chose to go with Putz in the 9th over resident closer Bobby Jenks. Guillen stated that Jenks was held out of the game due to back stiffness.

http://www.jonathanhoodshow.com/?p=2452

JHood forgets that they played the Orioles.

We have a handful. Might as well play the hot hand.

Seems simple enough to me. Bobby gets paid his millions whether he's pitching or not. It's no slap in the face when you are set for life as he is. Putz got the save tonight. In a closer by committee he should continue on until he blows one. I agree with your sentence: PLAY THE HOT HAND. Why not?

If they make the playoffs and WS it's more money for all the players so they should all be for it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 07:26 AM)
So Bobby has a bad back, but the problem is that he's giving up too many runs? Uh, OK. Ozzie is a really poor liar.

I personally believe from watching Jenks is that there is some type of physical ailment and at times there may be one between the ears also, but I wouldn't read too much into his not being in the game on saturday. I think physical issues because he just doesn't seem to be smooth or able to fully open it up at times

Edited by elrockinMT

I'm a big believer in more efficient bullpen use. For example, use your best reliever when the game matters most, be it the 7th or 8th inning. Conversley, if you had the bases loaded with 2 outs in the 8th, and you had your best hitter on the bench, you are going to pinch hit in that situation. You wouldn't save him for the 9th because it's the last inning, the game is in the balance now. I could never figure out why bullpens are not used the same way.

With that being said, I hate the term "closer my committee" It should be "whoever can get me the 3 damn outs" is pitching the 9th. Moreover, if Jenks is your best reliever (I'm not saying he is, rather the sox are by having him the closer) bring him in the 8th when you have the middle of the order due up. Or for that matter, bring in the best arm you have.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
If Putz or Thornton are available in the 9th, then one of them needs to be closing. But if one of those two are needed in the 7th or 8th then you have to use them there as well.

That is the whole issue. Putz has been huge in the 6th, 7th, and 8th innings this year. If you don't use him in those spots, there is a very good chance there isn't a lead to protect in the 9th.

You know what scares me about not letting Jenks close? The fact that everytime he doesnt close, he (seemingly) gives up runs. Can we count on Jenks to hold a lead in the 8th or 7th inning? Im certainly not worried about Thornton, Santos or Putz, but Jenks is a bigtime wildcard when he isnt closing. Sadly, he has been a bigtime wildcard when he IS closing too

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
That is the whole issue. Putz has been huge in the 6th, 7th, and 8th innings this year. If you don't use him in those spots, there is a very good chance there isn't a lead to protect in the 9th.

The problem is...if you use them to protect that 3 run lead and Jenks is your remaining option for the 9th...it doesn't seem to matter any more if you've protected that lead in the 7th-8th.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
The problem is...if you use them to protect that 3 run lead and Jenks is your remaining option for the 9th...it doesn't seem to matter any more if you've protected that lead in the 7th-8th.

So not having the lead at all is better than losing it?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
I personally believe from watching Jenks is that there is some type of physical ailment and at times there may be one between the ears also, but I wouldn't read too much into his not being in the game on saturday. I think physical issues because he just doesn't seem to be smooth or able to fully open it up at times

It wouldn't surprise me at all if something was physically wrong with him. But then why isn't he on the DL?

I haven't watched as many games as the average person here but, from what I could gather in my small sample size of viewing, his problem has been not being able to throw his offspeed pitches for strikes. And I don't see what that has to do with a bad back.