Ozzie Guillen

BigSqwert

Take him or leave him?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If we DON'T make the post season....

• Get rid of him. He's outstayed his welcome.
    • Keep him. The players let him down.
    • Give him one more year.
  2. 2. If we DO make the post season...

• Get rid of him. He still can't manage worth a lick.
    • Keep him. How can you get rid of a guy that brought us a WS and 2 other DIV titles.
    • Give him one more year.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
Sweet Lou would look awesome as our skipper next season.

I say we give Dave Martinez a call. Anyone’s who spend the last few years in the same clubhouse, as Joe Maddon has to have learned something. And the stories that would come out about Sandberg/Martinez would be hysterical.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
Sweet Lou would look awesome as our skipper next season.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 01:26 AM)
I'd mark the loss today on Ozzie. He bunted us out of every inning at the end of the ballgame. Bunting with Pierre on first remains indefensible.

I assume the first post was in green.

The big league hitters don't get any blame for inability to get a clutch hit after bunting the guy over? Why is bunting with Pierre on first indefensible? I think most every manager not named Earl Weaver in the late innings bunt there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
I assume the first post was in green.

The big league hitters don't get any blame for inability to get a clutch hit after bunting the guy over? Why is bunting with Pierre on first indefensible? I think most every manager not named Earl Weaver in the late innings bunt there.

Yost let Blanco steal. He must not of read the Ozzie Guillen manual that fast guys need to be bunted over.

How many outs were there when Blanco stole? If Ned Yost was our manager he wouldn't last a week on here either. He'd be buried.

The bunt was the right call. Execution was poor. We can't get a clutch hit on the road.

Edited by greg775

Oh look Kenny has a fan that has a twitter account. OneyRoberto

Wow. Just saw the sox gm coming out of a comedy club in Shaumburg with a female friend. I guess he didn't c the sox first loss

.Now u know what I'm talking about. In a pennant race and not even watching the game. Laughing at mencia jokes. Don't blame him

about 23 hours ago via txt .

While the whole sox team is battling and grinding and scratching and they r suffering. This guy is laughing and coasting. Love it sox fans

about 23 hours ago via txt

For real. The GM cost us this series vs KC. We should've had a bullpen guy from triple a last night. He knew Pena was going to start and Thornton wasn't available. Jenks sucked it up for 3 innings today,that should not had happened. But they didn't have a choice.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
So let me get this correct, Ozzie's son is basically hinting that Kenny Williams is cheating on his wife? In today's world, "female friend" does not mean it's a plutonic r'ship.

There was something in the Sun Times last year that said KW was out somewhere with Marion Brooks of Channel 5. KW might be separated or divorced or just a player. There was some pictures floating around the internet a couple of years ago of KW on a boat with some lovely bikini-clad young ladies that weren't much older than his kids.

Buy Oney is just being an ass anyway. Who would think of twittering crap about their father's boss except some spoiled rotten brat who still lives with his parents?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
Isn't he the guy who got fired. Oney is just trying to get even, right?

When the Sox win, Oney tweets about Ozzie's genius. When they lose, its always about KW not getting the job done. Yesterday he said Edwin Jackson would pitch game 2 and he knew what he was talking about, especially baseball. Turns out he was dead wrong, but really didn't comment on his error. He's a Guillen, that's for sure.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
There was something in the Sun Times last year that said KW was out somewhere with Marion Brooks of Channel 5. KW might be separated or divorced or just a player. There was some pictures floating around the internet a couple of years ago of KW on a boat with some lovely bikini-clad young ladies that weren't much older than his kids.

Buy Oney is just being an ass anyway. Who would think of twittering crap about their father's boss except some spoiled rotten brat who still lives with his parents?

Was this on Bruce Pearl's boat? ;)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
I say we give Dave Martinez a call. Anyone’s who spend the last few years in the same clubhouse, as Joe Maddon has to have learned something. And the stories that would come out about Sandberg/Martinez would be hysterical.

Welcome to the dark side. It's only a couple of us, but glad to have you on board. I thought you were still on your Davey Johnson-type bandwagon.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)
Welcome to the dark side. It's only a couple of us, but glad to have you on board. I thought you were still on your Davey Johnson-type bandwagon.

I don't think the Johnson has any interest in managing again. I'd be very interested to see if Martinez has inherited Maddon's tactical approach to the game.

Looks like Ozzie controls his family as good as he manages the Sox. Hopefully he blurts out another sexual/racial epithet and we can just fire him. He's a stupid human being who shouldn't hold a management position for the rest of his life.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
Looks like Ozzie controls his family as good as he manages the Sox. Hopefully he blurts out another sexual/racial epithet and we can just fire him. He's a stupid human being who shouldn't hold a management position for the rest of his life.

A stupid human being?

My god.

I disagree.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Ozzie Guillen better learn how to put a trap on his piece-of-s*** kids' mouths.

Why? There's freedom of speech in this great country of ours. I welcome reading the tweets of his kids. Kenny's a big boy. It has nothing to do with the team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
A stupid human being?

My god.

I disagree.

I'm going to agree with Greg here. He's shown to make a lot of mistakes as a manager, and I don't think he should have the job anymore, but he's far from a "stupid human being". He knows more about the game than anyone here, in the overall view of things.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 07:54 PM)
I'm going to agree with Greg here. He's shown to make a lot of mistakes as a manager, and I don't think he should have the job anymore, but he's far from a "stupid human being". He knows more about the game than anyone here, in the overall view of things.

That's a good post.

I agree that in "the overall view of things" Ozzie Guillen knows a lot about the game. You can nitpick about his bunting philosophy and all that, but the man knows baseball whether some on here believe it or not. And he'd kick your ass for calling him a stupid human being if he saw you on the street.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
That's a good post.

I agree that in "the overall view of things" Ozzie Guillen knows a lot about the game. You can nitpick about his bunting philosophy and all that, but the man knows baseball whether some on here believe it or not. And he'd kick your ass for calling him a stupid human being if he saw you on the street.

I'm not too concerned about him kicking my ass. That was sort of a strange thing to bring up.

The reasons to fire Ozzie go well beyond nitpick stuff - the guy doesn't just make the occasional bad call (as all managers do), he's made a habit of bad calls as part of his managing style, and it has handicapped the team. His supposed strengths - keeping the clubhouse where it should be, keeping all the guys on the same page, etc. - can only go so far. They aren't enough to offset his many bad decisions, as shown not in individual situations but a season of failure in certain aspects of the game.

But even with all that, he's not stupid. He's just really stubborn and refuses to acknowledge the aspects of the game he DOESN'T understand well. To be really good in managing anything, you need to know what you don't know.