Ozzie Guillen

BigSqwert

Take him or leave him?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If we DON'T make the post season....

• Get rid of him. He's outstayed his welcome.
    • Keep him. The players let him down.
    • Give him one more year.
  2. 2. If we DO make the post season...

• Get rid of him. He still can't manage worth a lick.
    • Keep him. How can you get rid of a guy that brought us a WS and 2 other DIV titles.
    • Give him one more year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
I'm going to agree with Greg here. He's shown to make a lot of mistakes as a manager, and I don't think he should have the job anymore, but he's far from a "stupid human being". He knows more about the game than anyone here, in the overall view of things.

Anyone here? That is the threshold for a good manager? That he knows more about the game than anyone on soxtalk? :unsure:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
Who said that was the threshold for a good manager?

Well, I'm just curious as to why you would make the comparison otherwise...

I guess I was just confused as to what the idea that Ozzie knows more about baseball than anyone on Soxtalk has to do with anything. My bad.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
Anyone here? That is the threshold for a good manager? That he knows more about the game than anyone on soxtalk? :unsure:

Ozzie said it himself. Good players = good manager. How many good coaches and managers have become legends only because they had good players?

If you look at guys like Shula, Landry, they had great QBs.

How great would Phil Jackson be with a team without superstars?

The threshold for a good manager may be to have a good general manager.

Probably one of the few that understand that is the NFL's Jimmie Johnson. You don't see him flirting with a comeback to coaching.

A coach/manager can be one of the most over rated positions in sports. They do make a perfect scapegoat.

If guys like Gardenhire are so great, why is he absent in late October? What if he managed the Yankees?

Where's that World Series Lou was suppose to bring Cub fans?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Well, I'm just curious as to why you would make the comparison otherwise...

I guess I was just confused as to what the idea that Ozzie knows more about baseball than anyone on Soxtalk has to do with anything. My bad.

If you go back and see how the conversation started, you will see I was responding to someone who stated that Ozzie was a "stupid human being". That's why it mattered.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
If you go back and see how the conversation started, you will see I was responding to someone who stated that Ozzie was a "stupid human being". That's why it mattered.

Yeah, I follow you...just seems like a pretty odd way of countering such a crude statement.

Nevermind.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 07:26 PM)
I'd mark the loss today on Ozzie. He bunted us out of every inning at the end of the ballgame. Bunting with Pierre on first remains indefensible.

I didn't know this until a little while ago when I heard it on the radio driving home from work: Apparently Jason Kendall was hitting .560 career against Scott Linebrink. If that's the case, Ozzie should have known that and should have walked Kendall in the tenth to get to the rookie Ka'Aihue who was batting around .150.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
And he'd kick your ass for calling him a stupid human being if he saw you on the street.

Ah, yes, the typical senile old man post. Yes, greg, I'm terribly afraid that 5'11 slap hitting ex-MLB player in his late 40s would viciously beat the s*** out of me.

Greg, you're a wonderful poster because your posts, without fail, always reach a level of pure, crystallized stupidity and ignorance that one simply has to admire. Someone who calls a well known journalist a homophobic slur is not a smart person. Someone who criticizes his indirect source of income by telling them to go f*** themselves and to not spend money on his team is not a smart person. Someone who lets his spoiled brat of a kid badmouth his boss is not a smart person. While I don't expect to have a conversation with Ozzie about Kant's categorical imperative, I would expect Ozzie to rise above his current conversational level, which can only be described as Highlights for Kids with profanities.

Edited by Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
Ah, yes, the typical senile old man post. Yes, greg, I'm terribly afraid that 5'11 slap hitting ex-MLB player in his late 40s would viciously beat the s*** out of me.

Greg, you're a wonderful poster because your posts, without fail, always reach a level of pure, crystallized stupidity and ignorance that one simply has to admire. Someone who calls a well known journalist a homophobic slur is not a smart person. Someone who criticizes his indirect source of income by telling them to go f*** themselves and to not spend money on his team is not a smart person. Someone who lets his spoiled brat of a kid badmouth his boss is not a smart person. While I don't expect to have a conversation with Ozzie about Kant's categorical imperative, I would expect Ozzie to rise above his current conversational level, which can only be described as Highlights for Kids with profanities.

:cheers

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
I didn't know this until a little while ago when I heard it on the radio driving home from work: Apparently Jason Kendall was hitting .560 career against Scott Linebrink. If that's the case, Ozzie should have known that and should have walked Kendall in the tenth to get to the rookie Ka'Aihue who was batting around .150.

I was waiting for Linebrink to face Kili who would have hit Linebrink's offering so far it still wouldn't have come down.

Linebrink is the most overplayed pitcher in the history of the organized workforce.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)

What's so ignorant about saying Ozz would want to beat the heck out of somebody who called him what you did?

I guess you could get in a few punches. Maybe you'd win the fight. I didn't think that through. I'd have to see your height, weight. His rage, however, at being called what you called him would probably give him the edge. You'd be defending yourself; he'd be slamming you in anger.

As far as Oz not being a "smart person" uh, ,hasn't he received job extenstions and raises in pay, since some of his outbursts?

Uh, he's not in danger of being fired as long as Jerry is primary owner of the team. I'd say he's pretty darn smart. Smart enough to get raises after uttering some of the comments you say.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 06:11 PM)
So far we want a manager who relies only on statistics to make in game decisions, holds out for the 3 run bomb, and has great manners.

I dont think I am asking him to rely on statistics only, I think that would also make a bad manager. I think my problem is when Ozzie completely ignores them and they are overwhelmingly against his decision, and they burn him badly. It isnt a one time occurance, it has happened multiple times.

And his manners can be fine at times, but come on, he tells everyone to f*** off with regularity.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
I dont think I am asking him to rely on statistics only, I think that would also make a bad manager. I think my problem is when Ozzie completely ignores them and they are overwhelmingly against his decision, and they burn him badly. It isnt a one time occurance, it has happened multiple times.

And his manners can be fine at times, but come on, he tells everyone to f*** off with regularity.

yes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
I was waiting for Linebrink to face Kili who would have hit Linebrink's offering so far it still wouldn't have come down.

Linebrink is the most overplayed pitcher in the history of the organized workforce.

Kila is terrible! He's this board's version of Hawk's crush on Randy Ruiz.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
So far we want a manager who relies only on statistics to make in game decisions, holds out for the 3 run bomb, and has great manners.

You're exaggerating the point a bit, but yeah. A guy who runs that kind of game is exactly the kind of manager who could win a lot of ganes in our ballpark.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)

How many times does he go with stats opposed to going against them. Have you counted both sides? It appears as though you are only paying attention to exceptions which is a bad strategy for evaluation.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 02:11 AM)
Kila is terrible! He's this board's version of Hawk's crush on Randy Ruiz.

If Ozzie would have f***ing walked Jason Weakling Kendall and pitched to Kila and the lefty Kila beat us, which he would have, Ozzie would have been fried on here (and rightly so).

I repeat, Kila would have hit one of the longest home runs in KC history.

Jason Kendall is a weak piece of s***. Linebrink can't retire Jason Kendall with the game on the line? We deserve to lose.

You don't pitch around a weakass righty to face a lefty there. There have been some bad overpaid players in Sox history, Linebrink is right up there with the worst of them.

Edited by greg775