• Hawk and DJ
    • Hawk and Black Jack
    • Hawk and the Hawk Harrelson Soundboard
    • A booth without Hawk
  2. 2. Would you Support a 3 Man Booth?

• Yes; Hawk, Stone, and Frank
    • Yes; Different Trio
    • No, it gets too cluttered.

But just think though, how Hawk could have really been one of the legendary announcers if he would have just toned it down some instead of going f***ing nuts like he has the past 5-7 years? Some of his little sayings are pretty fun and catchy but now it has gotten to the point to flat out insanity and uncomfortable to listen to. I am embarrassed for him.

But erotic Hawkisms are great. See popular thread if you dont know what I'm talking about.

I've always enjoyed Hawk, but this season I have caught myself thinking why doesn't he just shut up sometimes. His act has finally worn thin. His crying about umpires has gotten really old. His pumping up of favorite players ( Beckham the Georgia boy, Piersynski, Beurhle ) is tiring. All the same references to the past over and over again is wearing on me. I would like a change just to get a new perspective. Rooney and Stony would top my list.

It seems to me that Hawk has gotten noticeably worse this year. He can't judge a fly ball at all anymore (ulness he is just wishing that every fly ball will be a home run), he says "DAGummit" way too often, and his creepy "don't stop now boys" has grown quite thin. I find myself saying, "shut up, Hawk" many times during a game.

He does have some decent one-liners here and there. The best was during the 11-0 win over the Twins after Pierre was hit by a pitch for the second time. It was right after some atrocious fielding by the Twins, and Hawk said if the pitcher was so upset he should be throwing at his own players. That was a good one.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
If anyone thinks Frank should be in the booth, they are out of there mind. He is involved with the Sox for name alone and for what he did. Maybe he'll get better, but as of now, he's absolutely terrible.

Jason, "terrible" is putting it nicely. He's Hawk's little yes man. Have a thought about baseball, Frank - and one besides "this sucks."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
Honestly spending an entire season complaining about Guillen and Kotsay is way worse, but that is just me.

When you think about it, someone who complains about the same damn thing over and over again about any situation in life is f***ing annoying. No matter what the subject matter is. Unless its my grandmother complaining about her hip or something liek that...and even then I wanna say give it a rest, lady.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
No doubt about it, my favorite is Frank & Hawk

That was brutal. Hawk is impossible for a young announcer to man the booth with... it just involves Frank agreeing with Hawk even if he doesn't. Bad bad bad!

I haven't been happy since they took Jimmy Piersall away.

That leaves Hawk and SS, but only if Hawk's contract is modified to guarantee the removal of three old catchphrases and the addition of three new ones every year, as well as banning any comparisons of current players to players that have been dead for more than 30 years.

Oh, and Frank could make a game seven walk-off grand slam boring--if anyone could hear his Mike Tyson-esque whisper.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
Its funny how many people who complain about Hawk complaining about the same thing over and over again... Ironic, don't you think?

It's like rain on your wedding day.

And something about me just likes Frank in the booth, maybe it's the fact that he's the reason I'm a Sox fan or maybe it's just how happy he and Hawk seem to be sitting together. It's just something.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
And something about me just likes Frank in the booth

I agree with this.

On Sunday, he pointed out a few reasons that he expected the next pitch to be a curveball. Sure enough, it was a curveball. Being 27 years old, there aren't many players announcing today who defined my baseball existence more than Frank. In fact, there can be only one, and that's Frank Thomas.

It's just difficult for him to contribute anything due to Hawks' dominant personality. He had no real choice other than to b**** about the umpires all weekend as well.

When he did give insight, it was great, and I kept thinking "well, s***, Frank Thomas just said it, so it must be accurate". Then, when he was talking about Paul Konerko, it was just really interesting from the perspective of Frank Thomas, having been the best player on a team with Paul Konerko on it.

We need as much Frank visibility as we can get, and I'm glad the organization/CSN are utilizing this. And you know Frank doesn't need the money, he just loves baseball.

And I love Frank.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
We need as much Frank visibility as we can get, and I'm glad the organization/CSN are utilizing this. And you know Frank doesn't need the money, he just loves baseball.

Um, I'm a Thomas fan too...but are you quite certain about that? There has been talk basically his entire time with the Sox that despite big contracts Frank has managed to keep having money issues. Almost everyone seemed to think that the JR/Thomas money issues played a role in the public blowups that finally happened when Frank actually left.

I notice that Stone pretty much keeps his mouth shut when Hawk goes on a rant. Unless there's a really bad call on the field, Steve just lets Hawk rant and rave.

On a side note, I wonder why Stone doesn't jump on with Hawk's home run calls.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
I notice that Stone pretty much keeps his mouth shut when Hawk goes on a rant. Unless there's a really bad call on the field, Steve just lets Hawk rant and rave.

On a side note, I wonder why Stone doesn't jump on with Hawk's home run calls.

I was sad when DJ left. That made it worse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
Um, I'm a Thomas fan too...but are you quite certain about that? There has been talk basically his entire time with the Sox that despite big contracts Frank has managed to keep having money issues. Almost everyone seemed to think that the JR/Thomas money issues played a role in the public blowups that finally happened when Frank actually left.

Frank had a lot of investments go south, plus his divorce. He is not a rich man and could use all the money he can get. Doesn't make him poor either, but he can't just kick back and relax.

Frank should be used much as the Blackhawks are using Hull, Mikita, Esposito and Savard. They are "ambassadors" who left the team under less than perfect circumstances despite the fact that they were and are beloved by the fans. Bringing them back is just good marketing.

I think the intention is the same with Frank. Mend some fences, use him in the post game show, honor him on the field, cut to him during the games.

(There is anincredible amount of fan buzz around his "day" this Sunday.)

This past weekend proves that as a color man he has all the verbal chops of Stosh Mikita, and is hoping to one day match Denis Savard. He's not bad with Chuckles and Melton after the games, though.