Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
That's what I meant. Ill st may have been the best in the mvc the past two years but couldn't win conference tourney and rightfully were left out.

Our stupid NIT year, I was convinced that Illinois State was the best team in the conference but they just couldn't get the job done. That team had a ton of freakin talent.

Adding to the possible "cinderella" list, the fighting Keith Benson's can obviously give someone a run for their money assuming they win the summit tourny and I actually like this Gonzaga team for a possible sweet 16 run if they get in and get the right matchups, though they're obviously not exactly an underdog type team anymore. Other than that, I don't see many mid majors that are all that good this year but the top teams aren't exactly great either so who the f*** knows.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
Our stupid NIT year, I was convinced that Illinois State was the best team in the conference but they just couldn't get the job done. That team had a ton of freakin talent.

Adding to the possible "cinderella" list, the fighting Keith Benson's can obviously give someone a run for their money assuming they win the summit tourny and I actually like this Gonzaga team for a possible sweet 16 run if they get in and get the right matchups, though they're obviously not exactly an underdog type team anymore. Other than that, I don't see many mid majors that are all that good this year but the top teams aren't exactly great either so who the f*** knows.

That was the Drake year I believe. ISU had no problems with anyone in the conference except Drake. They just had our number. That team should have got an at large and I will believe that for the rest of my life.

Huge way for Iowa to end their regular season with that win against Purdue. Plus they had a pretty quality recruit in town for them and some think he might commit shortly, which would be a nice get for a rebuilding Hawkeye program.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
Well first off, you still have to win the title to be considered as great, and that's a long way off. Even if so though, Ohio State is not a great team. They're really not even all that close to being a great team. I'm not sure how I can tell you they're not great other than the eye test though, because that's kind of how determining a great team works. And since you're a Buckeye fan, you are going to defend them as great and not acknowledge the fact they're not. And quite frankly, you don't have any wins that have overwhelmed me this season other than at Florida. If you're going to go 14-15 on 3's every game though, I like your chances to win it all though. Although honestly, I'd say you're the favorites even if you don't. But you're not a great team, and quite honestly you're not even close to one. The last two UNC teams to win it all would both beat this Ohio State team by 10+ on a neutral, as would both Florida title games. tOSU is the best of a bad lot this year, and we'll see if they take advantage and win it all.

The original question had zero to do with Ohio State, so in an effort to keep both the homers and haters at bay, keep them out of th discussion.

The original question is why, PRE tournament, do you and others say there are good teams, but no great ones in the country this year, and what is the criteria that a team has to meet to be called a great team? It seems to me this happens every year as people like to look back on previous years like they were ths outstanding crop of teams while the truth is they said the same things about that pool at the time as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
The original question had zero to do with Ohio State, so in an effort to keep both the homers and haters at bay, keep them out of th discussion.

The original question is why, PRE tournament, do you and others say there are good teams, but no great ones in the country this year, and what is the criteria that a team has to meet to be called a great team? It seems to me this happens every year as people like to look back on previous years like they were ths outstanding crop of teams while the truth is they said the same things about that pool at the time as well.

I'm in agreement that it's pretty asinine to compare different years. The problem is that this year there haven't been a lot of top 5 vs top 5 kind of games where one team clearly dominates another. Duke beat one top 25 ranked team this year and they're still probably going to get a number one seed. Ohio State's best non-conference win was an average Florida team and then a couple of good Big Ten conference wins. In 2005 at least, Illinois and UNC played a lot of top 25 teams and crushed most of them. All year long they were the two clear dominant teams. This year you just don't have that. There's about 6-7 teams that could win it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
I'm in agreement that it's pretty asinine to compare different years. The problem is that this year there haven't been a lot of top 5 vs top 5 kind of games where one team clearly dominates another. Duke beat one top 25 ranked team this year and they're still probably going to get a number one seed. Ohio State's best non-conference win was an average Florida team and then a couple of good Big Ten conference wins. In 2005 at least, Illinois and UNC played a lot of top 25 teams and crushed most of them. All year long they were the two clear dominant teams. This year you just don't have that. There's about 6-7 teams that could win it.

Finally some rationale on why these comments have been made. I will argue however that there have been a small handful of teams that have been at the top of the rankings pretty consistently this year, unfortunately scheduling hasnt been all that great across the board. I guess it also depends how much weight you put on a team winning one of the tougher conferences.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
Finally some rationale on why these comments have been made. I will argue however that there have been a small handful of teams that have been at the top of the rankings pretty consistently this year, unfortunately scheduling hasnt been all that great across the board. I guess it also depends how much weight you put on a team winning one of the tougher conferences.

My big issue with the bolded is what's going on in the big east right now. It seems that the media loves to hype the big east because of how "competitive" it is. Well, it's pretty easy to hype that when you have so many teams. If highly ranked team A beats lowly ranked team B, it's somehow an excusable loss because of how tough the conference is. I mean which would you rather have, a conference with 3-4 top 25 ranked teams that have dominated the conference, or a conference with 5-6 legit top 25 teams that have lost some games to the lower end of the conference (of course purdue losting to iowa screws up this argument, but that's just one game)?

Also, why is Michigan the 4 and Illinois is the 5 in the standings? Anyone know? Didn't Illinois win the head to head? And they have identical records. I don't get it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
Also, why is Michigan the 4 and Illinois is the 5 in the standings? Anyone know? Didn't Illinois win the head to head? And they have identical records. I don't get it.

I was thinking that earlier too, not that it matters a whole lot but still seems off.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
My big issue with the bolded is what's going on in the big east right now. It seems that the media loves to hype the big east because of how "competitive" it is. Well, it's pretty easy to hype that when you have so many teams. If highly ranked team A beats lowly ranked team B, it's somehow an excusable loss because of how tough the conference is. I mean which would you rather have, a conference with 3-4 top 25 ranked teams that have dominated the conference, or a conference with 5-6 legit top 25 teams that have lost some games to the lower end of the conference (of course purdue losting to iowa screws up this argument, but that's just one game)?

It all depends how you look at the conferences I guess. The big east is deep for the fact that they have 11 solid teams but imo they have 0 championship contenders so it's not exactly the best conference ever as some people have made it out to be.

I'm not sure what the big 10 tiebreakers are when it comes to more than 2 teams(I'd guess round robin record between all parties involved) but since there's a 4 way tie and not just two teams, head to head gets tossed out the window as the tiebreaker.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
I was thinking that earlier too, not that it matters a whole lot but still seems off.

There is a 4 way tie so you look to head to head among the 4 teams. Illinois was 3-2 against MSU, PSU, and Michigan. Michigan was 4-1.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)

There was a four way tie for 4th place, so head to head records are meaningless (at least on a 1 to 1 basis). Not sure what the final criteria was, but the Penn State/Minny game decided it. If PSU would have lost, Illinois would have gotten the 4, Michigan the 5. Not that it really matters.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)

The Big East hype is a joke. I believe they haven't played to seed since 2002, whereas every other major conference has done it multiple times in that time-frame.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
Got my basketball wish today with Pat Knight fired. Hopefully you other guys will get your wishes soon as well.

I'm becoming nervous that I wont get mine.

Anyways, very loud atmosphere at the CAA title game. Pretty cool.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
Got my basketball wish today with Pat Knight fired. Hopefully you other guys will get your wishes soon as well.

Nkeruwem Okoro, Daniel Dingle and Peter Jok. ;)

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
Nkeruwem Okoro, Daniel Dingle and Peter Jok. ;)

I meant coaches, not Dingle's and Jok's. Save those dreams for night time

But seriously, it looks like Tech will have the basement to themselves next year. But it will be fun to watch.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
I meant coaches, not Dingle's and Jok's. Save those dreams for night time

But seriously, it looks like Tech will have the basement to themselves next year. But it will be fun to watch.

Is Gillispie a realistic contender?

ODU and Gonzaga are going to be real tough outs in the tourny. St. Mary's is directly on the bubble now, only one top 50 win but it's a good one, the weakness of the bubble makes me believe they'll get in. Something very interesting of note with the Gaels is they actually scheduled an extra game against Weber State after the WCC tourny, you hardly ever see that.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
ODU and Gonzaga are going to be real tough outs in the tourny. St. Mary's is directly on the bubble now, only one top 50 win but it's a good one, the weakness of the bubble makes me believe they'll get in. Something very interesting of note with the Gaels is they actually scheduled an extra game against Weber State after the WCC tourny, you hardly ever see that.

St. Mary's did it recently when Patrick Mills got injured and came back in March.

I've seen Gonzaga a few times this year (love me some WCC Big Monday action) and they're pretty poor. They have enough weaknesses to be a one and done. They have some talent, but they're too inconsistent.