Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
Well I agree that it's ineffective with 3 people hovering over you, but that's been his bread and butter move through the year, and he's gotten a LOT of points out of it. If Tisdale/Davis would do the same thing they'd actually have some points in the paint.

Tisdale should take a back seat to Leonard. They need a physical presence to go along with Davis in the post.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
It was my team and I feel pretty good about it. It was the right call. The ref saw two extended arms to the waist, when he sees extended arms he will call it every time. It's a potentially dangerous play. People complaining about those calls not being made are wrong. How often do you see a guy extend both arms to the lower back of a player well in the air? It comes up so rarely.

Well said. Tisdale is 7 feet tall but he still only hit him in the waist, which shows how high up the guy was.

I have to say, from my viewings of Richmond this year (which are bits and pieces before tonight's game), that he is surprisingly untalented. He's slow, doesn't have a great jumper, isn't aggressive enough on the boards (though that's expected for a freshman) and didn't wow me with athleticism that is probably still somewhere in that body. He looked lost out there. I'm sure he'll be fine in the long run, but given the hype I thought he would come in and be a solid starter as a freshman.

There are some moments when that athleticism does show, but it seems as if tenativeness might holding back his potential for now. Why is he so scared to shoot 3s? Several times he has had an open look and passed on it for a shorter shot. You aren't gonna be a post player in the NBA, you are gonna have to shoot from the outside if you want to become a pro.

Eventually? That's two in a row. The days of Illinois winning every year are over with Mike Anderson coaching. I expect more fantastic games to come.

Oops. That 9 of the last 10 stat got so embedded in my head, I forgot that last season was that one win out of 10. Definitely should be a competitive rivalry in the near future.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
Tisdale should take a back seat to Leonard. They need a physical presence to go along with Davis in the post.

I think you'd lose a lot more on offense then you'd gain on defense. And even on defense I think Leonard is a freshman who gets lost/confused.

I can't believe I see people asking to see more of Leonard. He is completey overwhelmed on the court. Tisdale gets such a bad rap, as he was the best overall player for the Illini last night. I thought the overrated duo of Richardson and Paul played terrible last night. Paul's too busy trying to impress NBA scouts.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
There are some moments when that athleticism does show, but it seems as if tenativeness might holding back his potential for now. Why is he so scared to shoot 3s? Several times he has had an open look and passed on it for a shorter shot. You aren't gonna be a post player in the NBA, you are gonna have to shoot from the outside if you want to become a pro.

Are you talking about Richmond? If so, the reason is because he's a bad jump shooter. He was never a good shooter, and the main reason he racked up all the points in high school was the frenetic pace his team played and he'd get dunk after dunk. I saw Richmond play live in high school maybe 10 times, and don't think he made more than 3 or 4 three pointers total.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
I can't believe I see people asking to see more of Leonard. He is completey overwhelmed on the court. Tisdale gets such a bad rap, as he was the best overall player for the Illini last night. I thought the overrated duo of Richardson and Paul played terrible last night. Paul's too busy trying to impress NBA scouts.

Totally agree. Illinois started to gain a little momentum with like 5 minutes to go (after McCamey's drive), they got a big stop and rebound, and then he jacked up a contested 3. Such a stupid shot that he took. and he does that pretty frequently.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Are you talking about Richmond? If so, the reason is because he's a bad jump shooter. He was never a good shooter, and the main reason he racked up all the points in high school was the frenetic pace his team played and he'd get dunk after dunk. I saw Richmond play live in high school maybe 10 times, and don't think he made more than 3 or 4 three pointers total.

I wasn't aware he wasn't a very good shooter. I guess I assumed someone ranked that high who is a G/F tweener would be able to hit the outside shot. He is definitely gonna have to work on that or his potential success in college will be in question, let alone NBA chances. Teams are gonna make him hit that shot so they don't get burned off the dribble or on a drive.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
I wasn't aware he wasn't a very good shooter. I guess I assumed someone ranked that high who is a G/F tweener would be able to hit the outside shot. He is definitely gonna have to work on that or his potential success in college will be in question, let alone NBA chances. Teams are gonna make him hit that shot so they don't get burned off the dribble or on a drive.

Between his attitude and his lack of perimeter shooting, that's why his ranking dropped from top 10 after his soph year to the 25-40 range by the time he graduated. He's more of an all-around player who will likely never average more than 10-11 ppg in college.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)

Tisdale is beyond soft in the post. A good, strong post presence goes a long way.

Of course if Richardson wasnt busy posing after he hit that three maybe they could have come back last night.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)

Jereme worked on his jump shot in high school and his senior year, he was very consistent with it. Mid range and threes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
Between his attitude and his lack of perimeter shooting, that's why his ranking dropped from top 10 after his soph year to the 25-40 range by the time he graduated. He's more of an all-around player who will likely never average more than 10-11 ppg in college.

Wow really? I'm not necessarily going to argue, but that would basically mean he barely improves in his time in college. Of course, he could go pro early and then you might be right.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 04:07 AM)
I figured recruiting was the answer, but in his third year on the job you would expect an Indiana coach to have made the tournament. I understand he started with nothing, but he now has 3 years of players. My point about Calipari was that he only needed one year of players.

I feel like recruiting isn't a good enough answer though. Having these players is great, but if Crean can't field a decent team by the third year I have serious questions about him.

Typically I would agree with you on the third year being a key year in terms of judgment; however, I think that the IU situation was so much worse than normal, he sort of gets an extra year or two...and with the talent coming in, he seems to be sticking to that, then.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
Is it too late to vote for Renardo Sidney as Humanitarian of the Year?

Diamond Head Classic is looking pretty interesting. Washington State, lead by Klay Thompson who I believe is your boy, looks like their for real with wins over Mississippi State and Baylor. Butler and them should make a great championship game.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
Diamond Head Classic is looking pretty interesting. Washington State, lead by Klay Thompson who I believe is your boy, looks like their for real with wins over Mississippi State and Baylor. Butler and them should make a great championship game.

Yes, I love Klay Thompson. He just needs to play well during Pac 10 play, and he'll be a sure-fire lottery pick. He really sucked though in conference play last year. Baylor is SO overrated this season.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)
I figured recruiting was the answer, but in his third year on the job you would expect an Indiana coach to have made the tournament. I understand he started with nothing, but he now has 3 years of players. My point about Calipari was that he only needed one year of players.

I feel like recruiting isn't a good enough answer though. Having these players is great, but if Crean can't field a decent team by the third year I have serious questions about him.

Perhaps it is because he does things the right way, and says all the right things. IU fans are so sick of the crap that was Kelvin Sampson and Mike Davis that they are starved for someone to come in and build something right for the long term. For lack of a better description, IU and Kentucky have different business models. While I hate to see us losing to Northern Iowa and Colorado, I expected a long rebuild and am waiting patiently. The corner seems near, yet there are still some growing pains. They are still short on talent, unfortunately.

I guess the short answer to your question is if they are still in the same position after year 4, things could change.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 04:28 AM)
This is by far the deepest OSU team I have seen since the 90's

You mean they've gone to a 7 man rotation?

Seriously though, that's easy to say when you play nobody. In their two "tough" games, they've legitimately only gone 6 deep. Depth looks to be their biggest issue, not strength.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood