Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
You mean they've gone to a 7 man rotation?

Seriously though, that's easy to say when you play nobody. In their two "tough" games, they've legitimately only gone 6 deep. Depth looks to be their biggest issue, not strength.

You obviously havent seen any games lately. Especially when Lenzelle got back they've gone very deep on their bench.

Lighty

Diebler

Buford

Lauderdale

Sullinger

Craft

Siebert

Thomas

Smith Jr

Thats 9 legitimate players deep on a team that hasnt gone more than 6 or 7 in many years. I am not talking about the rotation either, when I seen "deep" I mean talent-wise. They are bringing 2 of the best freshman in the conference off of the bench in Craft and Thomas, and they are contributing HUGE both offensively and defensively. Depth is not an issue at all.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 06:09 AM)
You obviously havent seen any games lately. Especially when Lenzelle got back they've gone very deep on their bench.

Lighty

Diebler

Buford

Lauderdale

Sullinger

Craft

Siebert

Thomas

Smith Jr

Thats 9 legitimate players deep on a team that hasnt gone more than 6 or 7 in many years. I am not talking about the rotation either, when I seen "deep" I mean talent-wise. They are bringing 2 of the best freshman in the conference off of the bench in Craft and Thomas, and they are contributing HUGE both offensively and defensively. Depth is not an issue at all.

Yeah, as I've said, they've played Oakland, UNC Ashville, South Carolina, Florida Golf Coast, Western Carolina, and IUPUI since playing at FSU (in which they played 6 guys). That makes it very, very easy to clear your bench off.

Matta doesn't like to go very deep into his bench. We'll see how he handles it during Big Ten play, but I have a suspicion we won't see much different. Maybe, maybe 8, but not 9.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Yeah, as I've said, they've played Oakland, UNC Ashville, South Carolina, Florida Golf Coast, Western Carolina, and IUPUI since playing at FSU (in which they played 6 guys). That makes it very, very easy to clear your bench off.

Matta doesn't like to go very deep into his bench. We'll see how he handles it during Big Ten play, but I have a suspicion we won't see much different. Maybe, maybe 8, but not 9.

The only reason he hasnt gone deep the last few years is because he didnt have a bench. He has a ridiculous amount of young talent sitting there this year and I suspect he will go 8 deep regularly, 9 if there is foul trouble. All of the guys has has been bringing off the bench in blowouts will play minutes in league play with the exception of JD Weatherspoon. He's just a dunker at this point.

And as for the teams above, IUPUI, Oakland and SC werent supposed to be pushovers.

IU loses to Penn State.

I'm coming back early and will be at IU-Ohio St. I don't expect it to be even remotely close. We have absolutely zero legitimate bigs, and Ohio State probably has the best ones in the conference. They can go low all game and the Hoosiers won't have an answer.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
IU loses to Penn State.

I'm coming back early and will be at IU-Ohio St. I don't expect it to be even remotely close. We have absolutely zero legitimate bigs, and Ohio State probably has the best ones in the conference. They can go low all game and the Hoosiers won't have an answer.

Anyone know if Crean is getting much heat for a terrible year 3? They haven't resembled a competitive team in a LONG time. Even with the Sampson stuff, you'd think they'd be a little better than they are.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
Anyone know if Crean is getting much heat for a terrible year 3? They haven't resembled a competitive team in a LONG time. Even with the Sampson stuff, you'd think they'd be a little better than they are.

I believe I asked the same thing a bit ago and the answer is 'recruiting.' I think IU is dropping the ball here. Maybe they realized their time as a top tier program is long since over.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
I believe I asked the same thing a bit ago and the answer is 'recruiting.' I think IU is dropping the ball here. Maybe they realized their time as a top tier program is long since over.

And that Bobby Knight was that amazing.

I'm withholding judgment until this massive recruiting group that is still in HS starts to get there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
And that Bobby Knight was that amazing.

I'm withholding judgment until this massive recruiting group that is still in HS starts to get there.

Ding ding ding.

Honestly, I can't think of any coach in America (any clean coach, anyway) that would have them be playing substantially better. For all intents and purposes, there was no basketball team when Crean came in.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 06:37 PM)
Ding ding ding.

Honestly, I can't think of any coach in America (any clean coach, anyway) that would have them be playing substantially better. For all intents and purposes, there was no basketball team when Crean came in.

They had something like 4 scholarship players when Crean got there. I have no idea how you would be expected to compete in the Big Ten in a situation like that without cheating.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
They had something like 4 scholarship players when Crean got there. I have no idea how you would be expected to compete in the Big Ten in a situation like that without cheating.

Actually they had zero. Well, they might have had 1 -- Kyle Taber, but he started as a walk-on, and averaged less than 2 points per game the year before.

Crean won't be under the microscope until next year. There is a huge turnover in the bigten, and we keep everyone but Rivers and add Zeller, Etherington, and probably another player before its said and done. Still, there is no reason to lose to PSU at home, he needs to shorten the leash on Verdell Jones, as he is horsesh*t. Watford, Elston, and Hulls is a good nucleus, now they need to start playing. 2012 is when Creans monster class steps in, and he will definitely still be the coach, but that will be his make or break year.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
Actually they had zero. Well, they might have had 1 -- Kyle Taber, but he started as a walk-on, and averaged less than 2 points per game the year before.

Yeah, I remember it being pretty sparse. All things considered, I can't complain. You are asking someone to literally build an entirely new team in the Big 10, without Calipari'ing it up.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
How this Illinois-Iowa game is this close is beyond me.

Illinois got on a lucky hot streak from three, or else the game wouldn't be close -- Iowa would have blown them away. Illinois is the most overrated team I have seen this year. They simply are not good. Wisconsin, one of the most underrated teams out there, should rip them apart.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
Illinois got on a lucky hot streak from three, or else the game wouldn't be close -- Iowa would have blown them away. Illinois is the most overrated team I have seen this year. They simply are not good. Wisconsin, one of the most underrated teams out there, should rip them apart.

Wide open 3s aren't lucky and Illinois has done that several times this year. Also, more like if Illinois doesn't have a few stupid turnovers and defensive lapses when they pushed the lead to 19 they blow Iowa away. Iowa never had a chance to win this game, not sure how Iowa could have blown them away.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)

LMAO. That is all.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
Wide open 3s aren't lucky and Illinois has done that several times this year. Also, more like if Illinois doesn't have a few stupid turnovers and defensive lapses when they pushed the lead to 19 they blow Iowa away. Iowa never had a chance to win this game, not sure how Iowa could have blown them away.

"blown away" was hyperbolic....should have said that if IL had shot a more typical 40ish% from 3 that Iowa definitely would have won. IL seems like a very 1-dimensional jump-shooty team. Of course, if they give Wisconsin a game I'll have to revise my opinion....

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
Apparently Iowa is like top 50 nationally in 3pt fg% coming into tonight, which I refuse to believe, because Scott Christopherson is still being left open by them.

Defensively you mean? They left a lot of wide open threes and Illinois just burried them.