Arizona Fall League

scenario

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Anthony Carter has quietly put together a nice AFL run.

Not many innings due to short season, but as the team's closer he has 15K's and 0 BB's in 9 innings.

where is he at in the farm system?? closing and succeeding for an AFL team sounds like he must be a pretty good prospect. Does he figure to be in the bullpen anytime soon?? After watching Santos and later in the year Infante ive grown very fond of watching white sox relievers.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
where is he at in the farm system?? closing and succeeding for an AFL team sounds like he must be a pretty good prospect. Does he figure to be in the bullpen anytime soon?? After watching Santos and later in the year Infante ive grown very fond of watching white sox relievers.

Carter is behind the pace you'd expect for a really good prospect. He started off as a starter, but hung up for a year and a half in high-A ball in 2008 and 2009. Last year, he was moved to the bullpen pretty early in the season, put up a 3.92 ERA in Birmingham which isn't good, but his overall peripherals weren't bad. He doesn't seem to give up a ton of hits, but the 22 walks in 46 innings is the real long-term issue. He'll be 25 this year, so if he made it to the big leagues he'd be on an "Ok" schedule. He could be a middle relief/long relief option this year, but I wouldn't count on him at all this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 07:51 AM)
Carter is behind the pace you'd expect for a really good prospect. He started off as a starter, but hung up for a year and a half in high-A ball in 2008 and 2009. Last year, he was moved to the bullpen pretty early in the season, put up a 3.92 ERA in Birmingham which isn't good, but his overall peripherals weren't bad. He doesn't seem to give up a ton of hits, but the 22 walks in 46 innings is the real long-term issue. He'll be 25 this year, so if he made it to the big leagues he'd be on an "Ok" schedule. He could be a middle relief/long relief option this year, but I wouldn't count on him at all this year.

I don't know much about Carter, but I thought I remember hearing that his stuff improved significantly when he was moved to the bullpen. If so, then his performance in the AFL could be a better sign of things to come than his totals in AA.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
I don't know much about Carter, but I thought I remember hearing that his stuff improved significantly when he was moved to the bullpen. If so, then his performance in the AFL could be a better sign of things to come than his totals in AA.

What do his AFL walks look like?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
What do his AFL walks look like?

He had 22 in 57.1 IP this year. Definitely not as bad as you mentioned. He has 15 K to 0 BB in 9 AFL IP. Control has never been a red flag for him.

I like Carter. His velocity starting touching the upper 90s in the bullpen. I think he could be a solid guy for us in a year or two.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
He had 22 in 57.1 IP this year. Definitely not as bad as you mentioned. He has 15 K to 0 BB in 9 AFL IP. Control has never been a red flag for him.

I like Carter. His velocity starting touching the upper 90s in the bullpen. I think he could be a solid guy for us in a year or two.

Sox like his arm as much as Infantes. We'll probably get a taste of him next season.