2010 NLCS: Giants vs. Phillies

Brian

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
I don't have the exact numbers, but last Monday showed what matters ratings-wise. The ALCS game between the Rangers & Yankees got around a 6.5 rating, while the Jaguars/Titans football game got a 7.2. If a game with the Yankees & a Dallas team, can't beat the Nashville/Jacksonville markets, you know that baseball is not gonna get the ratings anyway.

Like I said above, baseball ratings really are meaningless.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
Who would ever predict that Uribe would win 2 games for Frisco with his bat?

I'm pulling for the underdog Giants in the WS...GO GIANTS!!!

So if my my math is correct, the Giants have spent $4.25 milllion on Uribe the last two years. He's posted a combined 6.0 WAR. Mark Teahen posted a -0.2 WAR in 2008/2009. We not only trade for him but give him a two-year extension before 2010 even began. Why? Um? Well, maybe because...um? Yeah, exactly.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Ratings have gone down every year for a while now.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wstv.shtml

1996-98 is beginning of the internet for everyone era.

Plus, you see that FOX took over the Series after 1999, when the ratings started to take a serious dip.

I just think that all primetime TV has been affected to a point over the last 15 years so that all TV ratings would mirror the baseball ones.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
So if my my math is correct, the Giants have spent $4.25 milllion on Uribe the last two years. He's posted a combined 6.0 WAR. Mark Teahen posted a -0.2 WAR in 2008/2009. We not only trade for him but give him a two-year extension before 2010 even began. Why? Um? Well, maybe because...um? Yeah, exactly.

And defensively speaking, Teahan nor Fields are not even in the same planet, forget ballpark...

I would take Uribe over Teahan, Fields or Vizquel any day of the week, not even close.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
Just can't please some folks. How many times do we hear every year, "Anybody but the Yankees." Then when we get some new blood we hear how it's going to be a s***ty series and nobody will watch. Honestly, I'm really starting to lose interest in playoff baseball (unless the Sox are there, of course). If anything, the ridiculous length of the games are what's going to keep people from tuning in. These games are just taking wayyyyyyyy too f***ing long. We're not even talking about 10-8 slugfests in which you expect the game to run longer. Even the low scoring games are taking forever. Tonight's game took 3:41 minutes. Are you serious? For a 3-2 score? And this has become a trend. I don't know what the hell can be done about it. But baseball has to come up with something. Buster Onley proposed a 15-20 second pitch clock. Sounds pretty crazy. But I'm not sure I'd be that against it.

Excellent post IMO.

Man, I agree if it's not the White Sox (or even the Flubs; I'd probably watch their entire game in the WS) I won't be watching every pitch. Games take forever. But we have some Rangers fans at work (many of you are probably running into Texas fans as well since Texas is such a HUGEEEEE state) and I'll watch the majority of the game(s).

I am excited for this series for many reasons, one of those being the "new blood" involved. I really could not of cared less if it was the Yankess & Phillies again. I liked well pitched games and this series promises that.

I think that one of the bigger reasons that I prefer this matchup is the weather. Thanks to the idiots that run MLB this series is going to run into November. I would much rather see baseball played in Texas and San Francisco in November than in New York and Philadelphia.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
I don't know how anyone can say this World Series is "garbage" without one pitch being thrown yet.

Seriously? It's baseball. They won the games fair and square to get there. To write it off before it even starts is exactly what the ESPNs of the world are training people to think---if the Yankees or Red Sox, or other east coast powers don't get there, it's not good enough. Well, f*** them.

Enjoy the games no matter who is playing, and maybe they'll be great games. Maybe they'll be boring. Who knows? But to write off this series before it even starts...I really feel sorry for those people, because they don't remember a time when people weren't obsessed with a few teams and what a network's ratings are.

Who said it would be garbage? The ratings will be bad and that's just stating a fact.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
I am excited for this series for many reasons, one of those being the "new blood" involved. I really could not of cared less if it was the Yankess & Phillies again. I liked well pitched games and this series promises that.

I think that one of the bigger reasons that I prefer this matchup is the weather. Thanks to the idiots that run MLB this series is going to run into November. I would much rather see baseball played in Texas and San Francisco in November than in New York and Philadelphia.

The games in Texas will probably have weather that's ideal for baseball, but doesn't San Francisco get pretty cold at night due to being right on the water?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
The games in Texas will probably have weather that's ideal for baseball, but doesn't San Francisco get pretty cold at night due to being right on the water?

I think that it might get cool in San Francisco too, but it probably won't be near as cold as New York and Philly will be.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
I think that it might get cool in San Francisco too, but it probably won't be near as cold as New York and Philly will be.

Haha, for sure. I can just recall seeing fans in San Francisco/Oakland in the middle of the Summer wearing sweatshirts at games on TV.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
You said they would never have a legit chance to win it all again, yet their offense will still be better than the Giants this year, even if they lose Werth. Anything can happen in the playoffs obviously, but I would put up Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels against any other team in the league. It doesnt always work out, but their chances are still decent next year.

I never said they would never have a legit chance again, I even put a second adjective next to legit (super) to clarify that they will have a chance next year, but they won't be the heavy favorite like they were this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
OTOH...they have Dominic Brown ready to step in for Werth, and that's going to at least add another dimension to their offense. Utley had an un-utleyian season, Howard had a down season, and Rollins was hurt most of the year. There's plenty of room for bounce-back on those guys, Howard, Utley, and Rollins are 30 and 31, not in their late 30's.

Utley's 32 next year, as will Rollins. Howard's going to be 32. Rollins has had two bad seasons in a row (somewhat due to injury) and Howard seems like a type of hitter that can regress with age very easily. Victorino is going to be 30 and Ruiz will be 32.Then you have Polanco at 36 and Ibanez at 39. Brown will be the only under 30 player of the bunch. This is definitely a Phillies team that will start regressing in the near future, especially on offense.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
Haha, for sure. I can just recall seeing fans in San Francisco/Oakland in the middle of the Summer wearing sweatshirts at games on TV.

I thought San Francisco typically had warmer Falls.

EDIT: Yes. The average high temperature is warmer in October than in June or July. via

Edited by BigSqwert