Granderson for EJax?

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
I respectfully disagree. Dunn is not very good at 1B at all from what I've seen.

All you need to prove your point is to watch replays of Adam Dunn playing 1st base for the Nationals against the White Sox this last season. Adam Dunn is beyond horrible at 1st base!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 02:42 AM)
A lot of posts in this thread bashing Granderson.

Simply put: hes comparable to Rios, yet cheaper.

Granderson has had 5 straight years of 3+ RAW and is one of the better fielding CFs in the league. (better than Rios)

Yes hes a K machine, but calling him a platoon player is just silly.

Having one of the best overall outfields in the MLB is tempting, but I'd rather just re-sign Jones for RF...

Granderson has a .621 OPS against LHP in his career. That's platoon-level bad.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
Granderson has a .621 OPS against LHP in his career. That's platoon-level bad.

Yeah, it's really bad, but if the Sox could bring back Andruw, it'd be fine by me. Honestly, a lot of people really didn't like what Jones did this year, but I think priority #1 should be bringing him back. The Sox have struggled against lefties in the past, and having the ability to put him in the lineup against lefties has actually given the Sox a chance in games they normally got crushed in (the game that pops into mind is a game against Liriano in Minnesota where the Sox went down like 2-0 or something and Jones hit a 3-run homer).

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
Curtis Granderson? The Sox always seem to be a couple years late. I wouldn't trade a starting pitcher for him at this point in his career

I've always wanted Granderson in a Sox uniform so I'll say thumbs up to the deal.

However I am alarmed at how much Grandy sucked this past season. He was not good.

I would love to make this deal and find a way to get a middle reliever for Pierre. Wouldn't some team, somewhere, take Juan Pierre off our hands? Please?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
I've always wanted Granderson in a Sox uniform so I'll say thumbs up to the deal.

However I am alarmed at how much Grandy sucked this past season. He was not good.I would love to make this deal and find a way to get a middle reliever for Pierre. Wouldn't some team, somewhere, take Juan Pierre off our hands? Please?

How much, if any, of his performance this last season has to do with playing for the Yankees? Some people just just don't thrive in that environment, Maybe it has something to do with being traded in the first place. Sometimes players are in shock from being traded for the first time.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 12:11 AM)
Yeah, it's really bad, but if the Sox could bring back Andruw, it'd be fine by me. Honestly, a lot of people really didn't like what Jones did this year, but I think priority #1 should be bringing him back.

I have a feeling Andruw Jones will wind up in Minnesota. If they bring Thome back, he'd be a great fit for them.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 03:40 AM)
How much, if any, of his performance this last season has to do with playing for the Yankees? Some people just just don't thrive in that environment, Maybe it has something to do with being traded in the first place. Sometimes players are in shock from being traded for the first time.

This I believe. I bet it's not easy playing in NY either. I bet it's an entirely different animal. AND they were the defending world champs. That's gotta be added pressure. Also let's not forget where Granderson is from. Coming home for some home cooking and playing in front of family and friends might be just what the doctor ordered.

I just don't wanna lose E. Jackson to get him. Maybe the Yanks will take Gavin Floyd instead?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 07:39 AM)
I have a feeling Andruw Jones will wind up in Minnesota. If they bring Thome back, he'd be a great fit for them.

Good God no. I bet the minute he puts on a Twins uniform, he reverts back to 2005 form and launches 50+ bombs for the twins...

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 03:40 AM)

That is my first thought with Granderson, and anyone else who fails in NY. Some players just can't play there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
That is my first thought with Granderson, and anyone else who fails in NY. Some players just can't play there.

I would like to see Granderson on the Sox, but this would concern me. If he can't handle the pressure, what is he going to do in the playoffs?

Maybe it has more to do with the constant pressure though. Does anyone know what Grandersons playoff stats look like?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
I would like to see Granderson on the Sox, but this would concern me. If he can't handle the pressure, what is he going to do in the playoffs?

Maybe it has more to do with the constant pressure though. Does anyone know what Grandersons playoff stats look like?

Its not about pressure. Look no further than Jose Contreras

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
This I believe. I bet it's not easy playing in NY either. I bet it's an entirely different animal. AND they were the defending world champs. That's gotta be added pressure. Also let's not forget where Granderson is from. Coming home for some home cooking and playing in front of family and friends might be just what the doctor ordered.

I just don't wanna lose E. Jackson to get him. Maybe the Yanks will take Gavin Floyd instead?

Good God no. I bet the minute he puts on a Twins uniform, he reverts back to 2005 form and launches 50+ bombs for the twins...

I felt all last season that the Sox misused Jones. He was in great shape, and eager to play, but instead he was platooned and saw too little playing time to keep his timing.

It's very hard for a slugger, with a fairly long swing, to hit without consistent playing time.

Nevertheless, he still managed to hit 19 homers in a half season's at bats.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
I felt all last season that the Sox misused Jones. He was in great shape, and eager to play, but instead he was platooned and saw too little playing time to keep his timing.

It's very hard for a slugger, with a fairly long swing, to hit without consistent playing time.

Nevertheless, he still managed to hit 19 homers in a half season's at bats.

I would argue the opposite. Ozzie played him perfectly. He rode him while he was hot, benched him when he was cold, and used him around the OF to give guys days off when they needed them. Jones didn't cool when he hit the bench, he hit the bench when he cooled off. Teams figured him out, and Andruw didn't adjust.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
I would argue the opposite. Ozzie played him perfectly. He rode him while he was hot, benched him when he was cold, and used him around the OF to give guys days off when they needed them. Jones didn't cool when he hit the bench, he hit the bench when he cooled off. Teams figured him out, and Andruw didn't adjust.

I am one of the biggest Ozzie haters around, but even I can agree that he used Jones perfectly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)

The other thing worth noting is that when Ozzie played him every day while he was hot early in the season, he started getting hurt. Back spasms, IIRC. Use him more than you did, and he's likely a DL trip.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
This I believe. I bet it's not easy playing in NY either. I bet it's an entirely different animal. AND they were the defending world champs. That's gotta be added pressure. Also let's not forget where Granderson is from. Coming home for some home cooking and playing in front of family and friends might be just what the doctor ordered.I just don't wanna lose E. Jackson to get him. Maybe the Yanks will take Gavin Floyd instead?

Sometimes playing in front of your friends and family can be pressure packed as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
I am one of the biggest Ozzie haters around, but even I can agree that he used Jones perfectly.

I agree completely too. Maybe the biggest reason I want Jones back is because I get satisfaction when I see Ozzie actually use a guy properly when he has miscast so many others so badly in the past.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
So in essence, a young/cheap/talented/under team control for the next 6 years SP for two months of Jackson, only to trade him for a 30-year old that's had one truly great season and can't hit pitchers who throw with their left-hand. Awesome.

You know what they say... cut your losses :(

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 12:12 AM)
So in essence, a young/cheap/talented/under team control for the next 6 years SP for two months of Jackson, only to trade him for a 30-year old that's had one truly great season and can't hit pitchers who throw with their left-hand. Awesome.

I don't look at it this way. The loss of Dan Hudson is crappy, but he's a sunk cost. It's an asset we don't have going forward, but Jackson is. I know Granderson's 2007 is his only great year, but he's a consistently above average player with a good (not great) contract through 2012 or 13 (club option). I'd be thrilled to turn Jackson into Granderson.