56 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Bobby Jenks?

• Keep Him
    • He Gawn

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would look to resign him after he's non-tendered. Pretty much every one of his peripheral's point to bad luck. He was striking out a ton of guys, keeping his walks relatively low, getting more ground balls than ever in his career, etc. The .368 BABIP is bound to come down. His FIP was the second lowest of his career.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
I would look to resign him after he's non-tendered. Pretty much every one of his peripheral's point to bad luck. He was striking out a ton of guys, keeping his walks relatively low, getting more ground balls than ever in his career, etc. The .368 BABIP is bound to come down. His FIP was the second lowest of his career.

His LD% was around 25% for most of the season. That .370 BABIP wasn't all bad luck, he induced a lot of it by throwing pitches right down the pipe.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
That's true...but I can't see it being that high again.

Probably not and he won't have a 4.4 ERA again, most likely. But his ERA is going to be floating around the high 3s for the rest of his career, I'd imagine. I think we can do better for less money (J.J. Putz).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
A couple years ago I might have agreed, but we've been going through seemingly the exact same issues with inconsistency basically since 2006.

Agreed. We need a fire-baller back there next year. That'll win us a bunch more games. I like Putz where he's at and if he's our closer, our bullpen might be another implodathon time-bomb.

I think it's time to move on. Let Bobby go.

Putz, Thornton, Sergio and Sale will close by committee. Or should close by committee.

That is, unless we have to trade Jackson or Mark B to free up some money to sign Dunn and Konerko. Then I'd start Sale.

There will be blown saves next season but we do have four decent bodies to replace Jenks in Putz/Thornton/Sergio/Sale.

There's really no reason to bring back Bobby.

I think it's a no brainer they let him go. On paper, he is replaceable.

If we do bring him back, however, I'll be wanting him to be the closer.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 11:49 PM)
I think it's time to move on. Let Bobby go.

Putz, Thornton, Sergio and Sale will close by committee. Or should close by committee.

That is, unless we have to trade Jackson or Mark B to free up some money to sign Dunn and Konerko. Then I'd start Sale.

There will be blown saves next season but we do have four decent bodies to replace Jenks in Putz/Thornton/Sergio/Sale.

There's really no reason to bring back Bobby.

I think it's a no brainer they let him go. On paper, he is replaceable.

If we do bring him back, however, I'll be wanting him to be the closer.

They could bring him back if he'd take a paycut, but it would be silly to offer him arb. His performance has deteriorated as has his health is recent years. I really think this is a guy who could be one of the greats if he had the desire and discipline to do so, but he chooses to be a slob and its going to cost him a ton of money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
They could bring him back if he'd take a paycut, but it would be silly to offer him arb. His performance has deteriorated as has his health is recent years. I really think this is a guy who could be one of the greats if he had the desire and discipline to do so, but he chooses to be a slob and its going to cost him a ton of money.

I think one way or the other Jenks is gone, but I would be concerned about promoting on of the solid 4 bullpen arms we need to the closers role. No doubt that Putz/Thornton/Sale/Sergio have plus arms that can all close, but the strength of our bullpen last year is the fact that we have those 4 guys shortening the game and locking it down in late innings. Removing one for the closers role will really hurt the overall strength of the pen, that is unless a suitable addition being a set up man or closer is found via trade of free agency. Nonetheless, I think we need 4 shut down guys that would pitch the 6th/7th/8th and then a suitable closer for the 9th.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)

I'll always like him, but he ain't ever going to get in great shape. He's just a big beefy guy who I'd assume loves his food.

I know nothin about his drinking habits, but seems like a guy who likes to put down the beers and his gut shows it.

This is one guy that we could let loose. I'd prefer keeing Paulie/AJ though.

Maybe this will be some motivation for Jenks. I didn't know he and Ozzie were having problems. Hopefully Bobby doesn't try to start a pissing match when he signs with another team. He does need to remember the White Sox did him a lot of favors, and when he goes to rip Ozzie not many managers give a rookie the closing job when they are trying to win a WS. Ozzie did this guy some huge solids.