Pierzynski Back; 2 years, $8 million

Heads22

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
So with a two-year deal does this officially end any chances of Tyler Flowers having a career in Chicago? Or will he backup in 2012?

Pretty sure he gets 2011 to establish himself in AAA, if he is not moved by the end of the offseason.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a surprise. I logged on to SoxTalk this morning aiming to read more about the Dunn signing when I saw this. Great news. It's a good deal for the Sox and probably for AJ, too. I wonder if he had any other offers or concentrated on just coming back to the Sox.

Also good news for me as I got my daughter a Pierzynski jersey in August.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 03:06 AM)
Pretty sure he gets 2011 to establish himself in AAA, if he is not moved by the end of the offseason.

And another season in AAA is the ideal situation, where he can continue to develop and serve as our emergency catcher.

I think a lot of people are hating too much on Flowers right now. He's still got a world of potential for a catcher. Last season was disaster, but I want to know if it was the result of too many changes to his swing. The strikeouts obviously need to be cut down one way or the other, but he's got great power and walks a lot. He doesn't need a great batting average to have value as a catcher if those other skills are there.

There's absolutely no harm in giving him another year in the minors and seeing what you really have. His value is so low right now, it can't really get much worse. I still think he's going to rebound this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 07:27 AM)
I believe he's also out of options next year, so yeah, he'd be moved at the end of ST, because he'd be released.

Are you saying he's got zero minor league options left heading into this season? I thought he still had one left for the 2011 season, but I could be totally wrong about that.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
Are you saying he's got zero minor league options left heading into this season? I thought he still had one left for the 2011 season, but I could be totally wrong about that.

No, he's good through 2011. The Sox have him for 1 more season. ST 2012, he's gone if he doesn't make the team. (Worth noting is that Castro's contract does expire next season, so there is still room for him if he can do anything of value this year0.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
I'd be shocked if there was no correlation between the report of the Blue Jays making him an offer and him signing with the Sox a few hours later. This is probably exactly what he was getting offered, or perhaps slightly higher.

I'm guessing the laugh had to do with the fact he had an agreement already worked out with the White Sox, and the rumor was laughable garbage at best.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
#1, Great work again by Joe Cowley. Too bad reporters don't have an OPS for how accurate their reports are, or Mark Kotsay would be LMAO at you.

I wonder if the Sox FO have sent Cowley some faulty information as payback for some of his stirring of the pot earlier this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
#1, Great work again by Joe Cowley. Too bad reporters don't have an OPS for how accurate their reports are, or Mark Kotsay would be LMAO at you.

#2 To those who wondered why we didn't offer arbitration, we got AJ for two years, for pretty close what arbit would have cost for one year.

May I make a suggestion? How about SoxTalk offers a yearly award called the "Oney Award" and we nominate Cowley for the inaugural one? The Oney Award would be a way to recognize a special kind of idiot with special powers of idiocy that are so strongly idiotic that they resemble the character of Oney Guillen. If this sounds odd, let me explain: Oney happened to be born into a situation where he was allowed in an MLB clubhouse, given work as a translator, and given free reign to travel with the team and party his ass off with the players. Beyond that he was given a minor league contract and a bulls*** promotion through the system that rewarded him for his last name, and then on top of that he was given training for a job as a scout and put to work for one of the most loyal organizations in sports - the kind of organization BTW that keeps you around forever and hands you a paycheck for more or less no reason at all. Oney is such a god damned idiot however that he s***-talked his way out of multiple freebie paychecks and dream jobs and basically blacklisted himself from the entire world of sports. I feel this is award-worthy, and I feel furthermore that if an award existed to recognize such massive acts of idiocy in the field of White Sox baseball, it should be Oney's puppy-eyed life partner Joey who is first to be nominated. Just an idea.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:56 AM)
May I make a suggestion? How about SoxTalk offers a yearly award called the "Oney Award" and we nominate Cowley for the inaugural one? The Oney Award would be a way to recognize a special kind of idiot with special powers of idiocy that are so strongly idiotic that they resemble the character of Oney Guillen. If this sounds odd, let me explain: Oney happened to be born into a situation where he was allowed in an MLB clubhouse, given work as a translator, and given free reign to travel with the team and party his ass off with the players. Beyond that he was given a minor league contract and a bulls*** promotion through the system that rewarded him for his last name, and then on top of that he was given training for a job as a scout and put to work for one of the most loyal organizations in sports - the kind of organization BTW that keeps you around forever and hands you a paycheck for more or less no reason at all. Oney is such a god damned idiot however that he s***-talked his way out of multiple freebie paychecks and dream jobs and basically blacklisted himself from the entire world of sports. I feel this is award-worthy, and I feel furthermore that if an award existed to recognize such massive acts of idiocy in the field of White Sox baseball, it should be Oney's puppy-eyed life partner Joey who is first to be nominated. Just an idea.

I love it. If there ever was a Soxtalk award that was needed, this is it.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
This is SO awesome ... Most because I think AJ helps the pitching staff more than anyone gives him enough credit for. Made my day!

:headbang

Agree completely. Besides he's at least near the top of my favorite White Sox guys ever. I'm not ready to let go yet. Welcome back AJ!