Pierzynski Back; 2 years, $8 million

Heads22

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)
You mean like when they took on $120M in Rios/Peavy contracts a couple seasons ago?

Great point. but I think maybe the OP was referring to how very rarely you hear of the Sox shelling out for blue chip Free Agents; that aren't their own.

It almost happened a few years back with Torii Hunter. It feels good that they landed one of the big hitters this offseason.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
And THAT is why you don't offer him arbitration, he would have gotten about $7M through arb and we just locked him up for a million more on a 2 year deal.

This has been a very, very good day.

Most definitely. I was not expecting AJ to return, but with him and Dunn on the roster I have to think that our chance of resigning PK has increased exponentially.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
Most definitely. I was not expecting AJ to return, but with him and Dunn on the roster I have to think that our chance of resigning PK has increased exponentially.

+1. This ^.

Today was about Konerko more than a lot of fans realize....

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
+1. This ^.

Today was about Konerko more than a lot of fans realize....

You know what the whole Konerko situation reminds me of?

Someone putting a relationship on hold for the sake of the other party getting their s*** together. I think PK had the mindset that if the White Sox were able to put together a highly competitive roster, he'd be back. If not, on to greener pastures.

Today's signings were KW's version of this:

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
If we add Paulie to what we currently have we're in the $125M+ range, believe it or not. I'm not so sure what today was about now (meaning Dunn, not AJ).

PK made it clear he isn't signing anywhere until after the winter meetings... were the Sox suppose to wait around and and possibly lose out on both? They singed Dunn because he is an awesome offensive threat and a hell of a consistent hitter who was willing to sign now.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
PK made it clear he isn't signing anywhere until after the winter meetings... were the Sox suppose to wait around and and possibly lose out on both? They singed Dunn because he is an awesome offensive threat and a hell of a consistent hitter who was willing to sign now.

I get that part of it. But with the salary situation where it is I have no idea what the plan is. Could it be possible that JR has greenlighted a $120M payroll? After last season? With all that "rain" that hurt the attendance? I mean, we trade Floyd or Danks and then sign Paulie, and even if we trade Quentin too and fill out the team with a relief signing and something cheap here or there, we're still in that range if we bring back Paulie.

Not sure what to think, because if the above were true - and I can't believe it is - I'm probably going to stay up tonight waiting on the alien invasion/sinkholes of Hell to open.

The White Sox have money, and Jerry is old... not to make this too macabre but what is Jerry going to do, sit around for another rebuilding? The White Sox have a sweetheart lease deal on their stadium, parking revenue, all the creative revenue teams bring in that is shown in other teams financial documents leaked to Deadspin, and 1/4 ownership of a cable network... not to mention JR's ownership group has an insane amount of equity in that team. I'm not saying the Sox have been "cheap" because they been in the top 10 in payroll, but I also think there's money there and they're pushing the limits at this point, and I'm happy about it.

Edited by SoxFan562004

People need to remember that Jerry is 74. If I were him, I'd be thinking that I'm probably not long for this world. I'd want to win and win now. Really, that isn't a bad strategy with this team. The team had bad breaks and a number of players underachieved in 2010. A couple more good signings and this team is a legit championship threat.

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
I fully expect to hear that PK has been signed, Linebrink and Teahen moved, Byrdak signed and Man Soo Lee brought back to Chicago by midnite.

The off-season is a bust unless Man Soo Lee is brought back.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
Man remember when J Russell Martin was considered one of the best young catchers in the game?

LA just non tendered him.

Damn.

When a guy goes from a cant miss All Star to a non tender.....that ole "S" word tends to creep into consideration.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 06:16 AM)
The White Sox have money, and Jerry is old... not to make this too macabre but what is Jerry going to do, sit around for another rebuilding? The White Sox have a sweetheart lease deal on their stadium, parking revenue, all the creative revenue teams bring in that is shown in other teams financial documents leaked to Deadspin, and 1/4 ownership of a cable network... not to mention JR's ownership group has an insane amount of equity in that team. I'm not saying the Sox have been "cheap" because they been in the top 10 in payroll, but I also think there's money there and they're pushing the limits at this point, and I'm happy about it.

I like this post.