White Sox trade Scott Linebrink to Braves

pmcochr

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
A Major Leauge source said the #Braves will receive $1.5 million from the White Sox to help account for Linebrink's $5.5 mil. salary.

According to @mlbbowman

Damn anything under half of his 5.5 + a prospect was going to be a great deal. Now it is awesome.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
Whether or not GM's fall for that, I think that's exactly what Kenny is doing.

Otherwise...why would he have come out and said anything at all? There's no benefit to coming out and saying that Peavy won't be ready for April if he's not going to be ready, it puts us in a worse negotiating position in other ways, because teams will know that the Sox will be in the market for a 6th-starter type.

I don't quite follow your rationale. If we are in the market of adding a starting pitcher, than having Peavy healthy actually makes it easier for us to trade for a starter (potentially) since we can say we are dealing from a position of strength. If he's not healthy, than I still don't see how it changes things because I'm pretty sure other teams know the Sox have to count on Peavy potentially returning anyway.

I just don't agree with your rationale, but I also don't really think the Sox are considering moving Floyd/Danks at least not for what has been rumored. And if they do, I think they would have to be blown away and very very confident that Peavy will be back healthy (which I don't see).

I know one thing, I really don't want Freddy back. I know he was a valuable innings eater, but I just like the idea that guys have upside and he has none of it.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
*Kenny's phone ringing*

Kenny: Ken Williams here...uh huh.... WHAT?

*puts phone down, looks around the room all crazy*

Kenny: Yeah, wait... like, you said Linebrink, right?...Yahuh....k, hang on a second...

*presses the hold button*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

*picks the phone back up*

Kenny: You there? Sure, we can do that...

LOL

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
I don't know if you are just going to be able to dump him, but I could be wrong. If it takes 6M to remove him, than I don't know if I agree with that.

I'm hoping an NL team sees Teahen as worth about $3M per. If so and we can eat the difference then we're freeing up lots of cash.

IIRC Balta brought up Jones maybe costing $4M or so - maybe he's right. I still think that we could spend that money more efficiently whatever the case, but hopefully on a guy like Jones. The way it's shaping up we could really use someone like that. We're looking good.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
So what does our bullpen look like now? Seems a bit sparse.

Right now: Thornton, Santos, Pena, and Infante are likely, Sale and Anthony Carter are plausible.

You are correct that it is a bit sparse. However...it was a bit sparse before this trade as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
Right now: Thornton, Santos, Pena, and Infante are likely, Sale and Anthony Carter are plausible.

You are correct that it is a bit sparse. However...it was a bit sparse before this trade as well.

Regardless, we could use two quality relievers and one of those should be a closer or a potential closer. Putz and another guy would be nice. If we go with Thorty, than the club will need Putz plus another lefty (since Sale is apparently starting). I only say that because we know Ozzie likes having two lefties in the pen.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
Regardless, we could use two quality relievers and one of those should be a closer or a potential closer. Putz and another guy would be nice. If we go with Thorty, than the club will need Putz plus another lefty (since Sale is apparently starting). I only say that because we know Ozzie likes having two lefties in the pen.

On this one, we 100% agree.

Question for you guys in this thread.... when is the last time you've been THIS excited over an offseason?

For me it's 2005 - not trying to draw parallels either, totally different circumstances, we were more frugal then anyway, now we're trying to be the Yankees or something - but in terms of filling holes with quality players, that's the last time I've been this happy as a Sox fan watching the offseason. This is f***ing great. I love it! Mark Teahen, come on down...

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
Question for you guys in this thread.... when is the last time you've been THIS excited over an offseason?

For me it's 2005 - not trying to draw parallels either, totally different circumstances, we were more frugal then anyway, now we're trying to be the Yankees or something - but in terms of filling holes with quality players, that's the last time I've been this happy as a Sox fan watching the offseason. This is f***ing great. I love it! Mark Teahen, come on down...

I'm not all that excited yet. No where close to the pre-2006 offseason.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)

Lets hope our bullpen doesn't collectively s*** itself like it did in 2006. We also know the rotation ran into some trouble after being over-extended in the postseason the year before. But man, that pen was horrific.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)

Once we re-sign Paulie, I will be at that level.

IMO PK is already signed, sealed, and delivered. He'll show up at the meetings, grab a coke, listen to some timeshare balogna or whatever, take a dump, then get serious and sign his name on the dotted line. If Jerry is going for it then you KNOW Jerry personally told that to Paulie and asked him to come back. The Sox will give him a fair deal and he won't be able to pass it up. It's already done. We're looking awesome!