Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
With the current state of the market place, a 2 or 3 year deal at 13M per year is a relative bargain (and I use the term "relative" for a reason). 2 years with an option even more so. However, if he wants to win it would appear we are one of the better options.

If he was willing to play DH, the Angels might be wise to give him a shot given they have a hole in there pocket and it just seems stupid to give Crawford as much as he's asking for.

The Angels really don't make themselves better if they put Abreu in the field.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
The Angels really don't make themselves better if they put Abreu in the field.

Abreu kills them. They'd be best off using some of his cash and trying to desperately trade him to a team who could use a DH/part time fielder. That 2 year deal they gave him was really quite bad.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
The longer it takes, the more it's questioned.

I don't know, when Dunn signed PK's people said they were going to wait until after the meetings were over, so from their side, no... I really think KW has solid plan B and C and doesn't want to get burned

Konerko and Lee are real similar, both have had a share of nagging injuries and good/average seasons, here's there offense the last 5 seasons.

KONERKO vs. LEE

AVG... HR... RBI... OBP... OPS...

2010-2006... Konerko .312/.277/.240/.255/.313... 39/28/22/31/35 HR... 111/88/62/90/113 RBI... .393/.353/.344/.351/.381 OBP... .977/.842/.743/.841/.932 OPS

2010-2006... Lee.. .260/.306/.291/.317/.286... 19/35/20/22/8 HR... 80/111/90/82/30 RBI... .347/.393/.361/.400/.368... .774/.972/.823/.913/.842 OPS

If we sign Lee... coming off bad year, can save around 10 million for bullpen, bench, get them 2 1st round draft pics back

If we sign Konerko... coming off career year, spend around 15 million per, might command more 3-4 years, will lose the two draft picks, but will retain team captain.

I'm worried that most of us just want Konerko to retire a Sox rather than sign the better value 1B. (Lee or LaRoche)

Konerko was ranked last in defense/range (UZR/150 of -14.1) among full-time MLB 1B... for comparison Dunn had a -3.3.

I know UZR doest factor in runs/errors saved from picked balls etc, but a -14.1 says a lot.

With numbers of 13M per for 3 years being thrown around for Konerko... I just think Lee or LaRoche would be the better overall investment.

:unsure:

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
I'm worried that most of us just want Konerko to retire a Sox rather than sign the better value 1B. (Lee or LaRoche)

Konerko was ranked last in defense/range (UZR/150 of -14.1) among full-time MLB 1B... for comparison Dunn had a -3.3.

I know UZR doest factor in runs/errors saved from picked balls etc, but a -14.1 says a lot.

With numbers of 13M per for 3 years being thrown around for Konerko... I just think Lee or LaRoche would be the better overall investment.

:unsure:

UZR isn't the best stat for 1B. And you're really arguing LaRoche is better than Konerko???

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
yes, yes there is, Bridgette the Midget is the marquee name in that world.

So I rented one of her videos tonite....she is one wild midget!

I think the Cell should host a Bridgette the Midget Nite next year where one lucky fan spends the 7th inning stretch in a private suite with her! :bringit

"The White Sox are awaiting a response from Konerko and agent Craig Landis, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter)."

Latest update from MLBTR about Paulie.

I don't think KW likes to wait very long (as we've pretty much established) so I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Anyone that tells me that Carlos Pena is a more attractive option than Derek Lee is nuts. I'd rather have Lee or LaRoche before I'd even contemplate Pena and even than I don't see what their is to like about a hitter that hits for homers or nothing. I don't want two of those guys and Dunn is a s***load better than Pena.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)
Anyone that tells me that Carlos Pena is a more attractive option than Derek Lee is nuts. I'd rather have Lee or LaRoche before I'd even contemplate Pena and even than I don't see what their is to like about a hitter that hits for homers or nothing. I don't want two of those guys and Dunn is a s***load better than Pena.

I'd rather have LaRoche too. Just as good a defender as Pena, less expensive, and his lefty/righty splits aren't as extreme. I'd sooner have him as a plan B for 1 year and then reassess out 1B situation next offseason depending on how Viciedo/Flowers progress. We'd also have more money for the bullpen and wouldn't have to trade guys away to fill holes.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
"The White Sox are awaiting a response from Konerko and agent Craig Landis, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter)."

Latest update from MLBTR about Paulie.

I don't think KW likes to wait very long (as we've pretty much established) so I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I think KW is ready to pull the trigger on another direction and will not wait until Friday, PK make a decision and get this done!! We just need to know either way.

Not sure if this question was posted somewhere else....but I swear B & B said we would lose a pick if we sign Konerko. Would the Sox really lose a pick if PK signs? How could that be if we offered him arb? Do we lose it because he declined arb? I was totally thrown off by this...and it really didn't make much sense to me.

After last season's second half bullpen meltdown and the 2007 season, only having 3 relievers (I'm not counting Pena as "quality") and two of them being Sale and Santos, that's a bit scary.

If those four guys ALL pitched to their abilities, then you're not quite so worried. But the last time that happened was 2005 and the first half of 2008.

And that's making another big assumption you don't need Sale as a starter at some point.

And projecting Infante into the bullpen when we're going "all in" might be asking for trouble, although it's better than spending money on Octavio Dotel or Kyle Farnsworth, etc.

So still really torn on the Lee + bullpen help versus Konerko argument. OFC, would love for money NOT to be the deciding factor, but when has that ever been the case with teams outside of NY and usually Boston?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
I think if KW loses his plan B or C because he's waiting for Konerko's decision, he's going to give Konerko a now-or-never ultimatum. If Paulie still doesn't make a decision, I think KW takes whichever backup plan is left (B or C)..

I think PK re-signs tomorrow and it's announced Wed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:02 AM)
After last season's second half bullpen meltdown and the 2007 season, only having 3 relievers (I'm not counting Pena as "quality") and two of them being Sale and Santos, that's a bit scary.

If those four guys ALL pitched to their abilities, then you're not quite so worried. But the last time that happened was 2005 and the first half of 2008.

And that's making another big assumption you don't need Sale as a starter at some point.

And projecting Infante into the bullpen when we're going "all in" might be asking for trouble, although it's better than spending money on Octavio Dotel or Kyle Farnsworth, etc.

So still really torn on the Lee + bullpen help versus Konerko argument. OFC, would love for money NOT to be the deciding factor, but when has that ever been the case with teams outside of NY and usually Boston?

This is starting to concern me as well. With Putz now out of the mix, how much is JR willing to spend on some relievers? Who will be the 5th starter for Peavy...who will be out into who knows when. I understand going after PK...being his favorite player and all but at what cost? Having PK won't matter when your team cannot nail down games in the 7th, 8th or 9th.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:02 AM)

I'm as worried about the bullpen as anybody, but I'd rather have a proven commodity like Paulie then sign a couple of bullpen arms that may or may not work out. Bullpen arms are SUCH a crapshoot (your 2005 example being a classic case of that) and realistically, we could spend ten million dollars on a couple/few arms, only to see them all pitch poorly. I say sign Paulie, deal for a modestly priced bullpen arm or two, and cross your fingers.

Edited by whitesoxfan101