Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

The Orioles are a prime example of this.

They spent a ton of money on D. Baez, Chad Bradford and a lefty who had a "one hit" wonder of a season with the Tigers (the name is escaping me) and it bought them nothing except for a big headache.

KW saw VERY mixed results with spending money on Dotel, Linebrink and MacDougal. Dotel and Linebrink were a very big part of the 2008 team winning the division (barely), but Linebrink's contract became the worst on the team (arguably) until Teahen last year.

Of course, the 2006-2007 modus operandi of throwing a bunch of talented arms at the problem with no idea how to pitch didn't work so well either...in particular, pitchers like Aardsma (great for half a season before imploding), Sisco and Masset had their ups and downs with the Sox.

But, if you go back ten plus years, you can find few closers we've spent a lot of money on.

Roberto Hernandez

Howry (White Flag trade)

Foulke (White Flag trade)

Koch (dumb, dumb, dumb)

Marte (trade for Guerrier)

Flash Gordon (undervalued FA)

Shingo Takatsu (FA)

Jenks (waiver claim)

Thornton (for Borchard)

Sale (draft pick)

Santos (waiver claim/trade)

If there's another Tom Gordon out there on the market, that's the type of pitcher KW will go after. Dotel doesn't have the stuff anymore to get it done, and he will still be much more expensive than he's worth. David Riske also comes to mind here, someone who can contribute at the back end of the bullpen and not kill you, probably a veteran on the downside of his career coming off a down season or injury. But someone not quite so desperate as Jeff Nelson or Jose Paniagua HOPEFULLY.

It's hard to find another Politte or Cotts...and for them to jell at the same time, is even more difficult.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
SI_JonHeyman #chisox, konerko talks appear to be going well.he'll likely get $12.5 mil a year, maybe 3 yrs. #rangers, #orioles other options.

That's a little more than I thought he would get...from the Sox anyway. But, I suppose 2/$25 million isn't too bad. I would expect a little more salary to be moved, however, especially to get more bullpen help.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 07:09 AM)
#rangers, focused on cliff lee, "not likely'' to get konerko. paul's friend says "no way'' on #orioles. #chisox in drivers seat - Jon Heyman

What a great way to start the day.

Sounds like the only other team seriously contending for PK (Rangers) is focusing elsewhere. It's up to Paulie now. I wouldn't be too upset with the three year deal, but I'd prefer seeing 2 years with an option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 07:51 AM)
Would you be interested if it was say, 3/$33?

No. I don't want to sign a 3 year deal unless it's at some kind of below-market rate.

I appreciate everything PK has done here, but I'm not going to count on much more than an .830-ish OPS and 28 HR/90 RBI out of him for the next three years, and frankly, I don't think that kind of production at 1b is worth anywhere near $11 million a year.

I'd offer PK 2/$20 maximum, and when he laughed at me, I would say "thanks for the memories, Paul," and move on.

Honestly, if he wants that kind of money, I'd rather just offer Adrian Beltre 5/$75 and see where that gets me...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
Honestly, if he wants that kind of money, I'd rather just offer Adrian Beltre 5/$75 and see where that gets me...

Really?

Take a look at what Seattle got for his prime years when they invested 5/$60. Do you really look at that and think "Man, Seattle got a bargain"?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
Really?

Take a look at what Seattle got for his prime years when they invested 5/$60. Do you really look at that and think "Man, Seattle got a bargain"?

If you weigh his defense into the equation, he's a very valuable player. He's absolutely phenomenal defensively. His offense took a big hit because of park factors. You saw how much better he hit last year when he was back playing in a normal park. I'm pretty sure he would do very well offensively in the Cell. Combine that with his defense at third, which is probably better than Crede's was, and I don't think that contract would hurt you at all.

You could then put a guy like Viciedo at 1B or even start working out Q there.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
Really?

The only way to get good production for your money with Beltre would be to only give him one year deals. Seems like he only puts up big numbers in contract years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Really?

If you look at the values Fangraphs assigned for him during his tenure in Seattle, he was actually worth $68 million over the life of that contract.

Last year with the Red Sox, he was worth $28 million according to Fangraphs.

Now I know these values have been disputed here lately, but I think it does help point out how valuable Beltre is with a glove on his hand...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
If you weigh his defense into the equation, he's a very valuable player. He's absolutely phenomenal defensively. His offense took a big hit because of park factors. You saw how much better he hit last year when he was back playing in a normal park. I'm pretty sure he would do very well offensively in the Cell. Combine that with his defense at third, which is probably better than Crede's was, and I don't think that contract would hurt you at all.

You could then put a guy like Viciedo at 1B or even start working out Q there.

That's an interesting thought. Who knows, he might be okay there.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 07:09 AM)
#rangers, focused on cliff lee, "not likely'' to get konerko. paul's friend says "no way'' on #orioles. #chisox in drivers seat - Jon Heyman

What a great way to start the day.

If everything is equal or close to equal, and a west coast team isn't involved, that bodes extremely well for the Sox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
jonmorosi

Source says #Diamondbacks don't have enough money left to win bidding for Konerko. Barring a late shift, he's going elsewhere. #WhiteSox

Thanks JJ!! (although in some respects I think JJ+Lee+picks would be better than Paul, but it will be nice to see Paul retire in a Sox uni).

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
Thanks JJ!! (although in some respects I think JJ+Lee+picks would be better than Paul, but it will be nice to see Paul retire in a Sox uni).

I think what some people are forgetting is that while JR will give PK 12-14 million, he will not give it to someone else. If PK does not take the contract there isn't 12-14 to spend on Lee + relievers. JR has a history of offering his own guys more money that he will not authorize to spend on others players.

So if PK does not come back do not expect an equal amount of money to go to others.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
I think what some people are forgetting is that while JR will give PK 12-14 million, he will not give it to someone else. If PK does not take the contract there isn't 12-14 to spend on Lee + relievers. JR has a history of offering his own guys more money that he will not authorize to spend on others players.

So if PK does not come back do not expect an equal amount of money to go to others.

Are you telling me that if Jerry was willing to give 12M to Paulie and Paulie decided to go elsewhere he wouldn't let Kenny give the 12M to a 1B and let's say a quality reliever? 8M/4M ? Talking about next year of course.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Are you telling me that if Jerry was willing to give 12M to Paulie and Paulie decided to go elsewhere he wouldn't let Kenny give the 12M to a 1B and let's say a quality reliever? 8M/4M ? Talking about next year of course.

that's exactly what I'm saying. He did a similar exception for Buerhle when he went extra years. Hopefully PK will sign because if he doesn't I don't think JR will authorize the money for other pieces.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
that's exactly what I'm saying. He did a similar exception for Buerhle when he went extra years. Hopefully PK will sign because if he doesn't I don't think JR will authorize the money for other pieces.

I understand that he might be more lenient when it comes to certain players but that would make no sense with the other moves we just made.

I think he gives Kenny a budget and the organization operates within that budget, if 1B position isn't going to cost a certain amount then I believe "the extra" money [or at least SOME of it] will be distributed on acquiring other pieces, all in an effort to field the best team come opening day.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
I understand that he might be more lenient when it comes to certain players but that would make no sense with the other moves we just made.

I think he gives Kenny a budget and the organization operates within that budget, if 1B position isn't going to cost a certain amount then I believe "the extra" money [or at least SOME of it] will be distributed on acquiring other pieces, all in an effort to field the best team come opening day.

I think he probably does make exceptions for certain players, i.e. Konerko, Buehrle. But I only believe that it would be like a couple million.

If Konerko doesn't sign, its not like the $12 or $13 million that was to be used for him is going to drop down to say $5 or $6 million to sign a different 1B and relievers.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa