Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
If Reinsdorf is overpaying Konerko, I hope he in turn extends out the budget so they can actually get a bullpen, and not be forced to trade Floyd and/or Quentin.

This signing won't be something to celebrate until we actually know what the roster is looking like going into February.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. I'm torn between the Konerko/reliever via trade and DLee/FA reliever options. I see pros and cons to both options. However, I'm really concerned that if we sign Konerko, KW is going to overpay for a reliever using Quentin. He may think with Konerko and Dunn he can afford to sacrifice some offense to strengthen the bullpen. I honestly think that would be a huge mistake. That's why I'm starting to lean towards the DLee option if KW can also get a legitimate right-handed setup man.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
That was exactly from Bruce Levine and I think that means for teams who have put bids on him to look else where.

I think it means that they are taking no more offers and will make a decision today. From everything that has happened, I just think PK wanted to see all offers and make a decision rather than feel forced into a decision.

I heard the Levine interview, and the way I heard it was that one of the teams was told they are out of it. My guess is that it's the DBacks because they were trying to get a true hometown discount and couldn't go any further with money.

I'm not doubting the Sox will close this deal, but I don't think his agent is closing up shop just yet.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
#WhiteSox boss Jerry Reinsdorf vows to get Konerko signed today. #Orioles #Tigers #MLB #MASN

less than a minute ago via TweetDeck

Well the sentimental part of me is happy. I just hope this means an expansion of the budget and not cuts to follow.

It certainly sounds like Konerko will be back, and I'm good with that. As far as the money, I think it has been demonstrated that the Sox have the money and are going to spend it. I'm not overly concerned if Konerko gets $14 million a year or so provided they still go after a bullpen arm or two. Kerry Wood is most likely out of the picture due to him wanting too much money. But there are other FA out there, plus there's trade options.

A PK signing today solidifies the lineup, but there will still be questions about the bullpen. So, it may be good news followed up by some nail-biting and swearing. However, I think the Sox will spend the money to get some decent bullpen help.

Seriously this is getting ridiculous as we all now. Thefact is we ends up with PK all this is and has been is a staring contest. The sox put their cards out early by saying they wanted PK, the sox thought the love and defferred money would be seen as kindness and hoped PK took a hometoow discount. pK s camp saw the sox desire for him as a way to drove up the price and get Pualie a big last contract.Fron most if not all experts have it saying we get him. I wouldn't be surporsed if Landis is drumming up fake suitors and higher offers to get Paulie the 14-15 per year.

That being said, move on. Move in now, you fan support is behind it for the most part. And the ball club needs us yo to fill the other glaring holes. I like PK he probably is my 2nd favorite sox of all time, but DLeE will have a Bounce back year, is a great defender, and leader. He will fill in great on a 1 year with option. Then sign a big name reliever, crain gurrrier, downs, wood. And a lower tear guy. At RBI point we need to move on to other areas of our team. The meetings are over and we have been chasing PK around the park like a school girl with a crush.

Some guy over at Yahoo that i've never heard of claims, "Paul Konerko’s(notes) reunion with the Chicago White Sox, seemingly a done deal only a few days ago, is dead in the water for the time being. A source said that the ripple effect of Werth’s exorbitant deal spread to Konerko, whose demands rose after Werth signed with the Nationals.

Not that the 34-year-old Konerko wants Werth money, but he certainly wants a more lucrative contract than the $56 million over three years the White Sox gave Adam Dunn(notes). The Rangers are very interested in Konerko, but only if Lee signs with the Yankees." http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-martinoffer120710 I still think this gets done today.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Some guy over at Yahoo that i've never heard of claims, "Paul Konerko’s(notes) reunion with the Chicago White Sox, seemingly a done deal only a few days ago, is dead in the water for the time being. A source said that the ripple effect of Werth’s exorbitant deal spread to Konerko, whose demands rose after Werth signed with the Nationals.

Not that the 34-year-old Konerko wants Werth money, but he certainly wants a more lucrative contract than the $56 million over three years the White Sox gave Adam Dunn(notes). The Rangers are very interested in Konerko, but only if Lee signs with the Yankees." http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-martinoffer120710 I still think this gets done today.

Nice reporting Yahoo guy.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)

Ow, my head.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
This is exactly what I'm worried about. I'm torn between the Konerko/reliever via trade and DLee/FA reliever options. I see pros and cons to both options. However, I'm really concerned that if we sign Konerko, KW is going to overpay for a reliever using Quentin. He may think with Konerko and Dunn he can afford to sacrifice some offense to strengthen the bullpen. I honestly think that would be a huge mistake. That's why I'm starting to lean towards the DLee option if KW can also get a legitimate right-handed setup man.

I really don't think the Jerry will go cheap on the bullpen no matter what happens on the first base front. I think he saw what happened last year when we saved a few million on the DH spot and it cost us a division (and likely several hundred thousand in ticket sales).

Jerry wants to win and will not make the same mistake twice. Also, I think he sees how down the Cubs are now and building a World Series team can help the Sox control more of the city's fan base.

I think the only difference between signing Paulie and DLee is saving a few million on the payroll overall. I think our bullpen expenditure will be whatever necessary to round it out irregardless.

Therefore, I'm hoping we get the contract done with Paul today....taking money out of the equation, I feel he's without a doubt the best fit for this club.