Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
in today's market a 5th place MVP candidate at a power position should make more than 12M per.

The third year could hurt obviously but we have no way of knowing. It could also hurt to have Kerry Wood on a multiyear deal. In a whole different way.

Besides 2010, what year in that 5 yr deal was Konerko a top 5 MVP cand.? He had a great year but got paid for that year and not the past 5 and def. Not for the next 3, as in he won't be worth what he will be paid.

Oh and bye Dayan.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
It's 12/12/6.5, then he gets a million a year for next 7 years.

That 6 million figure for 2013 is probably evidence that we didn't want to go that 3rd year and we're going to be paying Jake Peavy $4 million to buy out his contract.

Great, now we are derferring money too.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
That 6 million figure for 2013 is probably evidence that we didn't want to go that 3rd year and we're going to be paying Jake Peavy $4 million to buy out his contract.

Great, now we are derferring money too.

Debbie Downer! :lolhitting :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
You don't think he earned the $12M a year? I do. Wasn't a bargain, but I think he paid it in full.

$12.5M/yr is a bit steep I agree, but given what other bats are going for, its not out of bounds at all. And 3 years is not the end of the world.

I don't like his inconsistency at all. Not for a 1b hitting in the middle of your lineup.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
Debbie Downer! :lolhitting :gosoxretro:

Everybody is happy now but when the Sox start claiming they have 50 cents again especially after that spending surge than we all will be looking back and saying a 3 yr deal with Konerko was not a good idea and that a shorter one with an equivalent DLee wouldve been better, and we'll miss those draft picks.

Really not trying to rain on the parade, I just don't see this working out well nor do I think this was close to the best move for the Sox.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
Eh, your argument to assets may be valid, but there is also a defined limit to how much you can pay your entire roster. This is why losing Deng would have been more valuable than keeping him at that contract level.

Perhaps, but then you also have to convince free agents to come here. The Bulls were only able to pull that off in the year where there were like 15 great free agents. Horrible winters etc. The one we finally signed is a guy from Alaska.

Ben Wallace was a big name signing but there was no competition for him due to age.

For the Bulls I much prefer the approach of cornering guys into coming here via drafting them. Then keeping them if they're solid, looking to trade them perhaps for assets later (we technically got JR Smith for Tyson Chandler).

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
White Sox are paying Paulie 2M more than Cubs are paying Carlos Pena. You think Derrek Lee wouldn't cost us 10+ ?

That's exactly how I'm looking at it. I was on the DLee bandwagon but that was because I was under the impression that Konerko was costing us 15 per. I'm happy with this and I like that they got creative in order to give him that 3rd year.

Good work Jerry, good work Kenny.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
This is good and unexpected news (the money anyway). Maybe the third year was the sticking point. The money per year is quite reasonable.

Now, can PK get to 500 HRs in the next three years?

Needs to average 45 HRs a year so I'd say no sir.