Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
Why is everybody freaking out over the bullpen right now? lol. Putz obviously was looking to get paid and I'm glad the Sox passed. It's December 6th. We've got 3 legitimate relievers right now. I'm sure will pick somebody up. As sad as our system is, we do have some arms that at least deserve a shot. Bullpens can be piecemealed together rather easily, and more importantly, cheaply.

I think the concern is that we resort to the 2007 plan of getting a bunch of hard-throwing guys and crossing our fingers that it works out. I'm not too worried. The bullpen is a crapshoot in the best of years, and i wouldn't mind letting a couple of the kids in our organization get some play.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cst_sox “I think Putz is headed elsewhere. We wanted him back, but he’s headed elsewhere.’’ KW on Putz returning.

less than a minute ago

cst_sox “There’s a fine line - when do you risk losing ur Plan B and C in favor of trying 2b as patient as u can with ur Plan A.’’ KW on PK deadline

4 minutes ago

KW is losing patience fast.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
Why is everybody freaking out over the bullpen right now? lol. Putz obviously was looking to get paid and I'm glad the Sox passed. It's December 6th. We've got 3 legitimate relievers right now. I'm sure will pick somebody up. As sad as our system is, we do have some arms that at least deserve a shot. Bullpens can be piecemealed together rather easily, and more importantly, cheaply.

Bullpens can't win divisions, but they can lose them. Right now, we have one guy who I am completely sold on: Thornton.

After the All-Star break, Santos posted: 4.18 ERA with a 1.77 WHIP. Once teams figured him out, he didn't pitch well.

Sale is young, so who knows how he will be with teams getting a second look at him.

Our guys in the system are minor league relievers for a reason because their stuff is not good enough to stay as starters.

The pen is a huge issue right now.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
cst_sox “I think Putz is headed elsewhere. We wanted him back, but he’s headed elsewhere.’’ KW on Putz returning.

less than a minute ago

cst_sox “There’s a fine line - when do you risk losing ur Plan B and C in favor of trying 2b as patient as u can with ur Plan A.’’ KW on PK deadline

4 minutes ago

KW will wait as long as he has to. This is gamesmanship.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)

less than a minute ago

4 minutes ago

WTF Paulie???

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
I think the concern is that we resort to the 2007 plan of getting a bunch of hard-throwing guys and crossing our fingers that it works out. I'm not too worried. The bullpen is a crapshoot in the best of years, and i wouldn't mind letting a couple of the kids in our organization get some play.

Ideally, you'd like to have 5-6 legitimate bullpen guys you can count on going into every season. Just doesn't happen. Relievers are just too inconsistent from year-to-year. Now I'll wait and see what Putz from Arizona until I make a final conclusion. But if they gave him 3 guaranteed years, I'm glad we passed. We filled a a massive hole with Dunn and it appears PK will be brought back. I'm not going crazy because Putz is gone.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
Bullpens can't win divisions, but they can lose them. Right now, we have one guy who I am completely sold on: Thornton.

After the All-Star break, Santos posted: 4.18 ERA with a 1.77 WHIP. Once teams figured him out, he didn't pitch well.

Sale is young, so who knows how he will be with teams getting a second look at him.

Our guys in the system are minor league relievers for a reason because their stuff is not good enough to stay as starters.

This is why I'm a lot less confident in Santos than most...I think he's going to have a rough sophomore season.

cst_sox "I don’t think a reliever is going to come at these meetings for us, I think that will be after.’’ KW on adding a reliever through trade now

less than a minute ago

cst_sox “He’s new to the market and I think he’s got to flush some things out before he gets back to us.’’ KW on Jenks returning.

5 minutes ago

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
This is why I'm a lot less confident in Santos than most...I think he's going to have a rough sophomore season.

Was it people figuring him out, or him getting a bit overworked through his first major league season. You cant teach stuff, and he has top notch major league stuff. I am not really that worried at all.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)

Putz was just as bad if not worse after the all-star break. Sale is young. And? He's got the stuff. You gonna hide him? And everybody knows how much I loathe our system. But there's some guys that deserve a look. I just can't worry about the bullpen right now.

A bad bullpen will ruin a good team. Especially with a manger like Ozzie who likes to use numerous bullpen pitchers.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
Was it people figuring him out, or him getting a bit overworked through his first major league season. You cant teach stuff, and he has top notch major league stuff. I am not really that worried at all.

Yeah, I don't think it was a matter of him getting "figured out". He still has a sick fastball with motion, I think he was just struggling to locate in the second half. That's what I observed, anyway.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
A bad bullpen will ruin a good team. Especially with a manger like Ozzie who likes to use numerous bullpen pitchers.

A bad anything can ruin a good team. How many teams out there have A+ bullpens? Not many. If the season started tomorrow I'd be worried. Not right now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
A bad anything can ruin a good team. How many teams out there have A+ bullpens? Not many. If the season started tomorrow I'd be worried. Not right now.

Yeah I'm not worried yet either simply because KW has publicly said he'd like to improve the bullpen. If he says that publicly you know he's going to add to it.

I agree. How many teams have thrown all kinds of money at relievers only to see it blow up in their face?? (Linebrink) The bullpen is important of course, but it can be so hit-or-miss, you have time to put it together.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)

Usually, each season it winds up being 4-5 teams in each league have really good bullpens.

Usually 4 of those teams make the playoffs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)

Maybe but talk to the Atlanta Braves of the 90's about being able to piecemeal a bullpen together. It's not that easy and it can ruin a good starting staff.

I agree I'm not worried yet but many teams are looking for bullpen help and the price will go up. With signing Dunn and possibly PK, there won't be much left to get quality.

If the Sox weren't in contention, they would have shut down Santos in August for the season. He'll be fine, he'll learn how to pace himself through a 162 game season better. I'm not worried about the bullpen at all right now, as people are overpaying for bullpen pieces right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)

^This. Santos will be fine, as will Sale. In fact, I'd say we have 3 top line relievers right now, obviously we need a couple more dependable arms but it's no time to freak out about the pen yet imo.