Kerry Wood signs 1 year, $1.5 million deal with Cubs

caulfield12

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)
Wonder if this is prior to the Crain signing or in addition.

If it's the latter, then holy s**t; KW/Reinsdorf and company really want to win a World Series in 2011

Wood was offered before Crain was inked. Nothing to see here. Dead deal.

The Tribune is running it right now as if it's a "LIVE/BREAKING" story, but apparently not...???

You would think the editors over there would have some clue, but it's a former Cub, so maybe it's another chance to get a shot in at the White Sox (that he apparently doesn't want to play on the South Side).

You'd have to think if Wood came in, it would be as the closer. Crain definitely won't be...he'll be more like Dotel or Santos for the middle two months of 2010.

FWIW, they already noted in the story he had apparently said he wasn't interested...which was going to get interesting, or words to that effect.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
I don't know. MLBTR is saying the offer is in addition to the Crain deal. I guess we'll have to wait and see. If it's in addition, a salary dump trade has to be coming soon.

That's speculation on their part, all anyone has to go on is some tiny blurb from Dave Kaplan posted on the Trib website almost 2 hours ago.

And FWIW, here is the article where Wood said he couldn't see himself with the sox.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-sp...,4854167.column

Former Cubs pitcher Kerry Wood was at Ryan Dempster's charity event Friday and talked with us about going through free agency:

"There has been a lot of interest, but at this stage of my career it has to be the right fit for my family. We are raising our kids and making our permanent home in Chicago, so we'll see what happens."

On coming back to the Cubs: "Nothing is impossible. We'll see how things play out."

There have also been several rumors about Wood possibly playing for the White Sox but that appears to be off the table. When asked about signing with the Sox, Wood smiled and said we've talked about that before. Wood has told us several times over the years that he could never see himself putting on a White Sox uniform.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
That is a pretty big change of heart in a very short period of time.

$$$$ talks and I assume with Christmas coming, all stuff will be shut down for a couple of weeks. To not play for the Sox because of his love for the cubs just solidifes the loser cub mentality associated with guys that bleed cubbie blue. Remember Dunn wanted to play there a few weeks ago.

Do you want to close for the Marlins or close for a team with as good a shot of any of wininng it all.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
Wood be fascinating to see Wood come here, as it would have to be with the promise of being a closer. If this happens, someone like Quentin or Danks or Floyd is definitely getting traded.

It's likely, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. None of us know exactly how much they have to spend, so it's all speculation. I'd much rather just sit back and see what happens.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
Wood be fascinating to see Wood come here, as it would have to be with the promise of being a closer. If this happens, someone like Quentin or Danks or Floyd is definitely getting traded.

Really guys, KW is not trading one of those guys as a salary dump in order to bring in Kerry Wood or Jesse Crain. It's just not happening. Only way those guys get moved is if it's a legit good deal.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
$$$$ talks and I assume with Christmas coming, all stuff will be shut down for a couple of weeks. To not play for the Sox because of his love for the cubs just solidifes the loser cub mentality associated with guys that bleed cubbie blue. Remember Dunn wanted to play there a few weeks ago.

Do you want to close for the Marlins or close for a team with as good a shot of any of wininng it all.

Dunn also didn't say he wouldn't play for the Sox repeatedly either.