2011 Music Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
I saw McCartney last night and it was a good show. He played for over 2 and half hours.

That's what it was when I saw him in 2002 on the Driving USA tour. 2.5 hours and no break, which is incredible when you think about the fact the guy is almost 70.

What a great time. The band played tight all night, and of course, seeing Paul McCartney was almost like seeing a spectre. Wrigley is a prime venue for such a show, never would have thought... Seeing the El make it's stop every so often during the show added a surreal vibe.

I've actually grown quite fond of the place over the course of this summer. In the years past I couldn't imagine Chicago without the place, but now I wouldn't want to imagine Chicago without it. I'm almost shocked that anyone would suggest that (getting rid of Wrigley) with a straight face.

Lolla anyone? I went yesterday (not going today) and was surprised at how much I enjoyed some of the earlier bands. Delta Spirit was cool and The Kills were pretty awesome as well. Coldplay did their thing on the headlining spot, though I wish I could have seen Muse as well. Sunday is Foo Fighters day so that will be epic.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
Lolla anyone? I went yesterday (not going today) and was surprised at how much I enjoyed some of the earlier bands. Delta Spirit was cool and The Kills were pretty awesome as well. Coldplay did their thing on the headlining spot, though I wish I could have seen Muse as well. Sunday is Foo Fighters day so that will be epic.

I will NEVER go to Lollapalooza after they screwed me last year with the Beastie Boys. Their "equally big" replacement was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and they would not offer a refund.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
I will NEVER go to Lollapalooza after they screwed me last year with the Beastie Boys. Their "equally big" replacement was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and they would not offer a refund.

They screwed you? You're paying for the festival, not just an act. You'd be getting screwed if it was the Beastie Boys festival that was all of a sudden headlined by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

You also easily could've sold it.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
They screwed you? You're paying for the festival, not just an act. You'd be getting screwed if it was the Beastie Boys festival that was all of a sudden headlined by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

You also easily could've sold it.

Yeah, that was their theory and reasoning for not providing a refund. But in reality, I imagine a great number of the people who purchased tickets did so in order to see the Beastie Boys (I know I did a lot of searching on internet boards and saw many, many other people that were just as angry), with the rest just being a little added bonus.

I did sell the tickets. Lost money on it, of course.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
Name this One hit wonder

1hit.jpg

Hint: The song that put this woman on the map was written by Prince(should be fairly easy now)

Sinead O'Connor. "One hit wonder sells" this very talented musician very short, but certainly that one mega monster hit Prince song is what catapulted her to superstardom.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
Yeah, that was their theory and reasoning for not providing a refund. But in reality, I imagine a great number of the people who purchased tickets did so in order to see the Beastie Boys (I know I did a lot of searching on internet boards and saw many, many other people that were just as angry), with the rest just being a little added bonus.

I did sell the tickets. Lost money on it, of course.

Jesus...they "screwed" you by having one of them get cancer and being forced to cancel? They didn't pull a Kings of Leon or Guns n' Roses... They didn't owe you s*** haha

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
Sinead O'Connor. "One hit wonder sells" this very talented musician very short, but certainly that one mega monster hit Prince song is what catapulted her to superstardom.

unfortunately the moniker fits for her. she has had success, but lets be honest, i doubt many posters could name more than that one song without a google search

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
unfortunately the moniker fits for her. she has had success, but lets be honest, i doubt many posters could name more than that one song without a google search

Actually, it doesn't. That moniker fits an artist or band that literally had only one hit song, not someone with only one song that can be instantly recalled after more than 20 years.

Her first three ALBUMS reached #36, #1, and #27 on U.S. charts, and the first two went Gold and Platinum, respectively.

Debby Boone and the chick who sang "99 Luft Balloons" were one hit wonders. Singers with multiple Gold albums by definition are not.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
Actually, it doesn't. That moniker fits an artist or band that literally had only one hit song, not someone with only one song that can be instantly recalled after more than 20 years.

Her first three ALBUMS reached #36, #1, and #27 on U.S. charts, and the first two went Gold and Platinum, respectively.

Debby Boone and the chick who sang "99 Luft Balloons" were one hit wonders. Singers with multiple Gold albums by definition are not.

So after you define One hit wonder by saying they have one hit song, then you list her albums?

Name more than one of her hit songs without searching

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
Jesus...they "screwed" you by having one of them get cancer and being forced to cancel? They didn't pull a Kings of Leon or Guns n' Roses... They didn't owe you s*** haha

Nope, they pulled a good band.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)

They promised to get a somewhat equal replacement for the investment many paid to see the Beastie Boys. Their choice was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. In no dimension are they even close.

Edited by Milkman delivers