2011 Music Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That first single I heard off the Decemberists' album (Down By the Water or something like that?) had a distinct REM meets Gin Blossoms vibe to me.

I'm really looking forward to the next Foo Fighters album, which should be out sometime this year. Grohl hinted they're going to to tour soon, as well.

Today marks the 25th anniversary of the death of Phil Lynott.

He was the bassist and singer of the awesome Thin Lizzy.

Lizzy is best known in the US for two, maybe three songs - The Boys Are Back In Town, Jailbreak, and The Cowboy Song.

This is a shame, because Lizzy had dozens upon dozens of other great hard rock tunes.

This is one of their slower songs, but I love the solo on this one so I'll post it for you guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsIubn5Pp6s

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
235 pages in a 3 year span is not too shabby. Although I will admit the talk died down a lot the past couple months

There hasn't been a ton of good music out there the past year or two so that has killed the talk. The hipster trend has died down, hard rock is god awful nowadays, and rap/rock is poop. The only thing worth talking about is hip-hop and even that is uninteresting most of the time.

I have been wanting some stuff that is new and fresh myself.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
There hasn't been a ton of good music out there the past year or two so that has killed the talk. The hipster trend has died down, hard rock is god awful nowadays, and rap/rock is poop. The only thing worth talking about is hip-hop and even that is uninteresting most of the time.

Silversun Pickups please

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)

Actually electronic music is probably the most interesting topic, pretty much everything else is garbage now. Electronic artists are blowing up like rockstars were back in the day

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Can't wait for the new Lupe Fiasco, hopefully J Cole drops his new album in 11, Shinedown hasn't released an album in a while.

I've always liked Lupe but the production on his albums are all over the place. I think he'd be better off sticking with one producer, preferably someone more grounded in soul like 9th Wonder or Just Blaze.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
I feel like the Foo Fighters peaked with The Colour and The Shape. Everything since then has been very good, but that album is phenomenal.

As a big Foo fan, I'd have to disagree. Since The Colour and The Shape it was sort of downhill, but if you haven't given Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace a few spins, you should. That album is their best work front to back, I believe.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
As a big Foo fan, I'd have to disagree. Since The Colour and The Shape it was sort of downhill, but if you haven't given Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace a few spins, you should. That album is their best work front to back, I believe.

Echoes is definitely their best work since Colour, but there's something about that spotless 90's rock production and tone that brings The Colour And The Shape to the top of my list. That record would make my top 5 of all time though, so it's hard to give any of their other work the right frame of mind. I always find myself saying "it's great, but it's not as good as The Colour And The Shape." It's the catch 22 of an album hitting the right spot in the right point in my life and knowing that it'll be nearly impossible for them to do that again.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
Echoes is definitely their best work since Colour, but there's something about that spotless 90's rock production and tone that brings The Colour And The Shape to the top of my list. That record would make my top 5 of all time though, so it's hard to give any of their other work the right frame of mind. I always find myself saying "it's great, but it's not as good as The Colour And The Shape." It's the catch 22 of an album hitting the right spot in the right point in my life and knowing that it'll be nearly impossible for them to do that again.

Pretty much my feelings as well. Echoes is a great album, but I still think TCATS is their best one and, like you, one of my favorite albums period.

New teaser sounds promising.