2011 Music Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
For anyone into their House / Dance Music, this site is very good for keeping up with that.

Just listening to the new Laidback Luke Essential Mix currently;

http://djdavidbitton.com/blog.php

I'm a big fan of Resident Adviser and it's podcats:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Have you hip-hop listeners heard of Shad? His album Tsol would've been near the top of my Soxtalk music list had I heard it sooner. I like the mellow beats and heavy use of scratching.

No but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the tip.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
http://rope.foofighters.com/

WOW. I haven't enjoyed a Foo song like this since Colour and the Shape.

I hope it doesn't get my expectations up too high (like with every album since Colour and the Shape haha) most of their stuff since then has like 4 or 5 good songs and then filler (to me)

Hey, I'm sold already on the upcoming CD. Its back to the primal Dave and Taylor sounds, maybe that time with Homme and JPJ in Them Crooked Vultures has brought out the Dave of old.

It took some spins, but damn The People's Key is really f***ing good.

Highlights for me:

"Jejune Stars"

"Triple Spiral"

"Ladder Song"

"One for You, One for Me"

Still plenty of awesome albums coming out this year. I can't f***ing wait...

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
I don't think we've listened to the same album.

This isn't anywhere near Lupe's previous work. Not awesome. This is a hip-pop album.

I think it's good that he's mixing it up a bit. He used to get little to no exposure because his music didn't sound good enough. Not enough catchy hooks, beats aren't as addictive, etc. That's why there was that feud he had with Atlantic - they thought he was lame and didn't produce any mainstream music.

So he did what they told him to and IMO, it works. He still has his lyrics heavy songs - like Words I Never Said and All Black Everything, but at the same time, he has songs that will most likely attract a wider audience - like I Don't Wanna Care.

I think he could have done better, but given the circumstances of him being under pressure from the recording company to produce more mainstream friendly music, I think it's a very good album.

Edited by chw42

Partial lineup announced for Pitchfork:

Here’s the lineup so far for the festival, with more acts to be announced later:

July 15: Animal Collective, James Blake, Das Racist. Curren$y.

July 16: Fleet Foxes, Dismemberment Plan, Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti, Woods, Sun Airway, Kylesa.

July 17: TV on the Radio, Cut Copy, Deerhunter, Destroyer, OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All), Yuck.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Have you hip-hop listeners heard of Shad? His album Tsol would've been near the top of my Soxtalk music list had I heard it sooner. I like the mellow beats and heavy use of scratching.

Finally got around to checking this out. Nice.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
Finally got around to checking this out. Nice.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not uptight, but it was refreshing to hear clean rap lyrics. The album was pretty clever lyrically too I thought.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
Listening to the new Lupe CD. :wub:

My goodness. This is one of the worst rap albums I've listened to in my life and I've been listening to rap since 1983. I want that 60 minutes back. What a waste of talent.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)
My goodness. This is one of the worst rap albums I've listened to in my life and I've been listening to rap since 1983. I want that 60 minutes back. What a waste of talent.

If Lupe sucked, you wouldn't think of it that way. You only think this way because it was a let down and you had high expectations.