2011 Music Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And...they're back. Radiohead have just announced their eighth full-length record, The King of Limbs. Billed as the world's first "Newspaper Album," an extravagantly packaged version of the record will be issued on May 9; however, the music itself will effectively be issued on Saturday, February 19 when digital downloads become available to those who made pre-orders.

So Radiohead have set aside the "pay what you want" patronage model that dominated the conversation surrounding the In Rainbows release, yet have retained that album's more important business aspects: Packaging their music as a high-end collectable and controlling and monetizing its leak, which has the effect of creating what these days is a rare, worldwide, collective listening experience. Once again, we all know exactly when we're first able to hear a new Radiohead record and therefore will largely all experience it together, something almost completely lost in today's pop music landscape. This in effect is also what Kanye West did so successfully with his G.O.O.D. Friday project.

The King of Limbs will be released by TBD Records in North America, XL in the UK, and Hostess Entertainment in Asia.

Full information is quoted below, and pre-orders are currently being accepted at Thekingoflimbs.com. At present there is no track information.

Link

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
Not a single mention of Arcade Fire winning the Album of the Year Grammy?

I didn't watch but looked ahead (on the west coast) and saw they won. SHOCKING choice...

And the masses were NOT happy haha

http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/

whocaresaboutthegrammys.tumblr.com

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
Drive-by Truckers (a band I first heard about from previous versions of this thread) are on Jimmy Fallon tonight (2/15).

They played a free concert in downtown Knoxville last summer, so of course my buddies and I went. They were pretty good. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but I've liked their music ever since I DJ'd for the campus radio station here.

Just got a song of theirs for free on AmazonMP3 the other day. Not sure if it's still free, but it's called "Everybody Needs Love." Pretty solid.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)
This dude will be on Fallon tonight. Take heed top 40 rap artists lovers.

**couch** Eminem and Jay Z **cough**

This is what I'm talking about.

i love the line 'talk to my therapist tell him all your problems he's f***in awesome at listening"

for some reason that line cracks me up.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
This dude will be on Fallon tonight. Take heed top 40 rap artists lovers.

**couch** Eminem and Jay Z **cough**

This is what I'm talking about.

I've known about Tyler & the rest of OFWGKTA for a few months now. Their performance on Fallon was one of the dopest I've seen on a late night show.

With that being said, these kids still have a bit to go. It's obvious all of them have talent, but as much as us "top 40 rap lovers" must take heed. These kids aren't even in the discussion for being in the same league as a Jay or Em.

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
The new Radiohead album is pretty good.

This. These guys simply don't disappoint.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
These kids aren't even in the discussion for being in the same league as a Jay or Em.

You can continue your slurping of overproduced mediocrity and I'll continue to listen to actual talent.

*runs for cover*

:P

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
You can continue your slurping of overproduced mediocrity and I'll continue to listen to actual talent.

*runs for cover*

:P

:lol: You're one of the posters around here with good music tastes, so I'll just go ahead & chalk this up to an agree to disagree.

Even if you are just a backpacker at heart.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
Tyler the creator just seems like a less polished Scarface.

Hmm, never thought of it that way.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
:lol: You're one of the posters around here with good music tastes, so I'll just go ahead & chalk this up to an agree to disagree.

Agreed.

Oh and check out this verse from Tyler back from his first album. Sounds like he's reading my mind.

I know you f***in' feel me, I want to f***in' kill me

But times I'm so serious you think I'm silly

I'm doin' Big Style Willy couldn't touch 11-7

What's religion n****? I am Legend

I roll with skaters and musicians with an intuition

I created O.F. cause I feel we're more talented

Than 40 year old rappers talkin' 'bout Gucci

When they have kids they haven't seen in years, impressin' their peers

With the same problem, the only way to solve them

Is to go to Father's Day convention with a gold revolver