2011 Music Thread

Kyyle23

Monday night brought the Foos with Social D and The Joy Formidible to Atlanta.

Damn, that show just goes and goes. I think it was 3 hours for the Foos, and an hour or so for Social D. Speaking of Social D, I forgot how damn long those guys have been around!!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the new Drake CD pretty much sucks. Wayy too much singing and slow songs, just like his last CD. 3/10 for me.

Mac Miller's Blue Slide Park is pretty good. Lot of upbeat songs. Only listened to it once, but I give it a 7/10.

Childish Gambino's (Donald Glover) debut CD, Camp, is pretty legit. It is streaming on NPR's website for some reason if you guys want to hear it. I'm a big fan of his, and he has tons of clever and funny lines. 8.5/10.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Monday night brought the Foos with Social D and The Joy Formidible to Atlanta.

Damn, that show just goes and goes. I think it was 3 hours for the Foos, and an hour or so for Social D. Speaking of Social D, I forgot how damn long those guys have been around!!

I'm jealous. I liked Rise Against's opening, but Social D would've been better. The Foos played for 2.5 hours when I saw them two months ago.

Going to see Guns 'N Roses after work tonight at Allstate Arena. Ticket says the show starts at 9, so I'm hoping they hit the stage before midnight. Only half kidding about that. Either way, been hearing some pretty positive reviews about this tour overall. Hoping that this time around they focus a lot more of their "new" (3 years old) material, unlike the last two times they came through here.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Going to see Guns 'N Roses after work tonight at Allstate Arena. Ticket says the show starts at 9, so I'm hoping they hit the stage before midnight. Only half kidding about that. Either way, been hearing some pretty positive reviews about this tour overall. Hoping that this time around they focus a lot more of their "new" (3 years old) material, unlike the last two times they came through here.

I missed the show here locally, but I would have went had I known. I had a coworker there. He said he left at 1 AM, and they were still playing. They played past 2 AM here....38 freakin' songs.

That is a show.

^ Yeah, it was a marathon. They took the stage at 11, which is reasonable. The setlist was pure. They even dusted off Estranged which in itself was worth the price of admission and the lack of sleep on a worknight. One thing that bothered me is most of the bandmembers got a little showcase solo. Axl sounded great- much better than the last two times he and this cover band came through Chicago. I'm hoping that it won't take another 15 years for their next album.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
The new Childish Gambino is amazing. What do you think of it, Sqwert? I believe you recommended his older stuff before.

I'm not that big into hip hop/rap, but it's a fantastic album. His older stuff is also excellent.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
The new Childish Gambino is amazing. What do you think of it, Sqwert? I believe you recommended his older stuff before.

I got it as it was recommended from a friend (I had no idea that Glover rapped before the recommendation) and I love the album. He's an unbelievably talented person.

• 2 weeks later...

Top Ten Lists anyone?

10. Death Cab for Cutie - "Codes and Keys"

9. TV on the Radio - "Nine Types of Light"

8. My Morning Jacket - "Circuital"

7. Yuck - "Yuck"

6. Manchester Orchestra - "Simple Math"

5. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - "Belong"

4. Bon Iver - "Bon Iver"

3. The Decemberists - "The King is Dead"

2. Iron & Wine - "Kiss Each Other Clean"

1. Bright Eyes - "The People's Key"

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
Can't think of ten albums from this year, much less ten favorites. Very dull year for music to me.

On a happier note, I grabbed my tickets the other day for The Darkness at Metro in February! Love those guys, so happy they're back - I CAN'T WAIT!

Old Man...

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
Top Ten Lists anyone?

7. Yuck - "Yuck"

4. Bon Iver - "Bon Iver"

That's a whole heap of indie music there.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
Top Ten Lists anyone?

7. Yuck - "Yuck"

4. Bon Iver - "Bon Iver"

I like a lot of those, although I've never even heard of 7 or 5, and haven't listened to any of 6.

I'd add:

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

The Black Keys - El Camino

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 03:01 AM)
I like a lot of those, although I've never even heard of 7 or 5, and haven't listened to any of 6.

I'd add:

Yep definitely enjoyed both of those this year.

Has anyone listened to the SHM Concert from MSG on Friday Night? Pretty good mix if you're interested in the whole Dance / House music scene.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)

I'd add:

Agreed times infinity.

I didn't realize Manchester Orchestra released another album, I'll have to check it out.