2011 TV Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
Cmon, someone discuss Boardwalk. That was amazing.

What will happen to Richard? I don't think he just goes away.

Ah man, I was bummed. I really enjoyed his character.

Anyway, I did not see that coming with all the storylines that were attached to Dormody. And the thought that Nucky chose to believe Eli over Jimmy, even though Eli was lying and Jimmy told the truth really sucks.

As for Richard, I don't know what becomes of him.

As far as the war flashback goes, were they trying to show that Jimmy actually did fight in the war, because the idea was that he was too scared to fight and ran away?

I started watching the miniseries Bag of Bones last night. Pretty good so far. It's been a long time since I read the book, but I think it's following it fairly well. It's better than some other made for TV Stephen King adaptations. I suppose going with some bigger names (Pierce Bronson) helps.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
Cmon, someone discuss Boardwalk. That was amazing.

What will happen to Richard? I don't think he just goes away.

I didn't even think about him. I bet he just disappears, but I could also see him becoming like a scorned ex-lover hunting down Nucky for what he did to Jimmy.

Can't wait to see Nucky's reaction when he sees the deed for the property.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
I give up with the horrible writing on that show.

LMAO i had to rib you a little bit because you were so certain i was wrong

On to the story, I think that the new guy in the office that is dating Batista's sister is on to Dexter, and I think he is planning on mimicking the Ice Truck killer.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 01:52 AM)

Anyway, I did not see that coming with all the storylines that were attached to Dormody. And the thought that Nucky chose to believe Eli over Jimmy, even though Eli was lying and Jimmy told the truth really sucks.

As far as the war flashback goes, were they trying to show that Jimmy actually did fight in the war, because the idea was that he was too scared to fight and ran away?

Wow, Boardwalk Empire...so good. Thoughts, with spoilers:

I always figured that it would end that way, since Nucky couldn't keep Jimmy around after what he did. But they did a good job this episode making it seem like Nucky was forgiving Jimmy to a certain extent, letting him repent and maybe ultimately moving on. But nope, wasn't gonna happen. I knew as soon as Jimmy and Richard were talking about old war stories and Jimmy looked over to his son that he didn't plan on returning. And obviously giving his tags to his son was just a nail in the coffin. Still sucks though, because Jimmy was the only guy I was "rooting" for in this show.

My only complaint with the whole thing is that while Nucky has had no problem ordering murders, he's never shown any hint of being capable of doing it himself. And maybe that was the point and that's why they had Jimmy talk about how he got sick the first time. It seemed a little too out of the norm for him to be the one to kill him though, and so ruthlessly too.

Re: Nucky believing Eli over Jimmy. I'm not sure that he really did. I think his decision here was consistent with what he's said a few times this season - blood runs thicker than water. He sees Eli as a faulty person, but at the end of the day he's still family.

I think Richard could go two ways - completely disappear or he becomes a hitman set for revenge. Jimmy was pretty much the only person who loved him and cared for him and looked at him as an equal. Everyone else looks down on him.

re the trench scene, I think that was meant to show a couple of things. First, Jimmy understood that he's been living on borrowed time since the war. He should have been dead long ago. Second, and more importantly, even though his physical body died at the hands of Nucky, his moral side died when he experienced war and all of the senseless killing. I think that was the main point behind it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)

I always figured that it would end that way, since Nucky couldn't keep Jimmy around after what he did. But they did a good job this episode making it seem like Nucky was forgiving Jimmy to a certain extent, letting him repent and maybe ultimately moving on. But nope, wasn't gonna happen. I knew as soon as Jimmy and Richard were talking about old war stories and Jimmy looked over to his son that he didn't plan on returning. And obviously giving his tags to his son was just a nail in the coffin. Still sucks though, because Jimmy was the only guy I was "rooting" for in this show.

My only complaint with the whole thing is that while Nucky has had no problem ordering murders, he's never shown any hint of being capable of doing it himself. And maybe that was the point and that's why they had Jimmy talk about how he got sick the first time. It seemed a little too out of the norm for him to be the one to kill him though, and so ruthlessly too.

Re: Nucky believing Eli over Jimmy. I'm not sure that he really did. I think his decision here was consistent with what he's said a few times this season - blood runs thicker than water. He sees Eli as a faulty person, but at the end of the day he's still family.

I think Richard could go two ways - completely disappear or he becomes a hitman set for revenge. Jimmy was pretty much the only person who loved him and cared for him and looked at him as an equal. Everyone else looks down on him.

re the trench scene, I think that was meant to show a couple of things. First, Jimmy understood that he's been living on borrowed time since the war. He should have been dead long ago. Second, and more importantly, even though his physical body died at the hands of Nucky, his moral side died when he experienced war and all of the senseless killing. I think that was the main point behind it.

Ok, see I was thinking for whatever reason that Jimmy had been ridiculed for running away from the war and not fighting, or being too scared or whatever. I wasn't sure if I was misremembering, or if I was thinking of a different show where that happened, so I thought maybe they were showing that he actually did man up and fight and didn't run home scared.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 01:52 AM)

You talking about Jimmy or Richard? And I believe they showed the war flashbacks to cement Jimmy's line that he already died in the trenches. Also, I don't think Nucky believes Eli at all. He stuck with him simply because he's his brother (IMO, at least).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
I didn't even think about him. I bet he just disappears, but I could also see him becoming like a scorned ex-lover hunting down Nucky for what he did to Jimmy.

Can't wait to see Nucky's reaction when he sees the deed for the property.

I don't think there's any way he just disappears. The character is too good to fade away like that, and now he's lost the only two people who have meant something to him since the war. I think he goes off the handle.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)

The episode has aired, so I don't think you need to do spoilers. I believe they are showing Nucky's transition to an actual gangster, and that's why he murdered Jimmy himself. I was a little drunk when I watched the show last night so I didn't catch everything, but I liked how Jimmy told off his mother one last time with the horse scene.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
I don't think there's any way he just disappears. The character is too good to fade away like that, and now he's lost the only two people who have meant something to him since the war. I think he goes off the handle.

That would be cool, although it may be hard to maintain that storyline without him killing everybody. Maybe he gets picked up as a soldier by the butcher or someone else?

Yeah I read Sepinwall's interview. Sounds like the writer expected everyone to get the hint that Jimmy was telling Richard to move on and try to live a non-violent life away from war/killing. I kinda got that, but not to the point where I thought Richard wouldn't want to enact some sort of vengeance.

And really I guess they've established that Richard is deadly assassin. He could conceivably take out everyone involved in Jimmy's death, but 1) they can't because Nucky is never killed in real life, and 2) that would essentially end the show.

I actually thought that the only end was Jimmy being killed, but I thought they did a good job of leaving it unclear if Nucky was actually going to do it: "Well that means I have a decision to make" and then having Jimmy do all of his dirty work with regard to the KKK, treasurer etc.

I think next season will be a little different, clearly Van Alden going to Cicero isnt just a coincidence and with the trial/Darmody story line wrapped up, seems Nucky needs some new enemies. Maybe its time that the church and Nucky go to war.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
That would be cool, although it may be hard to maintain that storyline without him killing everybody. Maybe he gets picked up as a soldier by the butcher or someone else?

I can't see him working for the butcher, as he's the murderer of the person Richard was arguably closest to (Jimmy's wife).

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/11/boardwalk-empire-finale/2/

Here is an interview about the finale and for all those wondering, Richard is still going to be a part of the show

Fantastic.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
Yeah I read Sepinwall's interview. Sounds like the writer expected everyone to get the hint that Jimmy was telling Richard to move on and try to live a non-violent life away from war/killing. I kinda got that, but not to the point where I thought Richard wouldn't want to enact some sort of vengeance.

And really I guess they've established that Richard is deadly assassin. He could conceivably take out everyone involved in Jimmy's death, but 1) they can't because Nucky is never killed in real life, and 2) that would essentially end the show.

They changed Nucky's name for the show in order to be able to stray from the biography of the actual Nucky Johnson.