Albert Pujols' extension - Cards fail to extend by deadline

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 07:42 AM)
Oh, understood. Either way, I still don't think you can look at him and be 100% positive that he's not on HGH or anything. That's something that has to be thought about when you are giving away so much money, even if people don't like to talk about it.

You can't. that's the fun of the way MLB has handled drugs, is that you never really know about a player.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
You can't. that's the fun of the way MLB has handled drugs, is that you never really know about a player.

However, the GM's and owners have no one but themselves to blame on this matter. If they wanted to be 100% certain that they didn't have to worry about guys they sign being juicers, then they should have pushed for a stronger testing agreement.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
However, the GM's and owners have no one but themselves to blame on this matter. If they wanted to be 100% certain that they didn't have to worry about guys they sign being juicers, then they should have pushed for a stronger testing agreement.

Mark this date, but, I agree. The only change I would make would be to make Bud Selig #1 on the responsibility list.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
Angels, Dodgers, Cubs, maybe the Mets are about the only teams I see in the mix. Yankees and Red Sox just don't have a need.

The Metropolitans are simply out of the mix until they know that they won't be transferring ownership of the team to Madoff's other victims.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
Angels, Dodgers, Cubs, maybe the Mets are about the only teams I see in the mix. Yankees and Red Sox just don't have a need.

I just still don't see how they swing it. The Cubs have some serious cash flow problems and they are going to get very little help from the state to maintain/upgrade Wrigley. Team is worth less than when he bought it and he has a major payment do every year on his debt for it.

I'll throw the Rangers in there, they were willing to go pretty high with Lee and the new ownership might determine it's the best business move, also can play him at 1b for a few and have luxury of DH.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
I'll throw the Rangers in there, they were willing to go pretty high with Lee and the new ownership might determine it's the best business move, also can play him at 1b for a few and have luxury of DH.

If they hadn't spent all that money on Beltre I might believe that. But even after a WS run, they're not a hugely profitable team, and at the end of this season, they're going to be having to seriously figure out what they're doing with a number of guys. B-R does a little thing where they automatically guess a general range for how much a team's arbitration guys and options make...they go from a $95 million payroll this year to close to $120-$130 million next year just by guys hitting arbitration and guys whose contracts expand (Hamilton's does this by $6 mil, for example).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
If they hadn't spent all that money on Beltre I might believe that. But even after a WS run, they're not a hugely profitable team, and at the end of this season, they're going to be having to seriously figure out what they're doing with a number of guys. B-R does a little thing where they automatically guess a general range for how much a team's arbitration guys and options make...they go from a $95 million payroll this year to close to $120-$130 million next year just by guys hitting arbitration and guys whose contracts expand (Hamilton's does this by $6 mil, for example).

Thanks for posting the numbers, didn't know they expanded that much, yeah likely not suitors. Just trying to rack my brains for more teams because Pujols and his camp have to be hearing scuttle from other teams. I just think with the PED testing, his age and DH for end of a long term deal available in only 1 league I just don't see how he gets anywhere near what he wants. With that said, if he's not with the Cards, I would make the Angels front runners even with the Wells trade

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
Thanks for posting the numbers, didn't know they expanded that much, yeah likely not suitors. Just trying to rack my brains for more teams because Pujols and his camp have to be hearing scuttle from other teams. I just think with the PED testing, his age and DH for end of a long term deal available in only 1 league I just don't see how he gets anywhere near what he wants. With that said, if he's not with the Cards, I would make the Angels front runners even with the Wells trade

His history seems to be that he is a pretty greedy SOB too. He could just want money that much.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)

How much money would he cost himself if he got caught and suspended this year? $250 million?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)
I had never thought of him as a greedy player. Is there something that happened in the past that I don't recall?

When I visit my family in St. Louis during the summer they always show Pujols doing charity stuff with his golf outing and his stuff with mentally handicap kids. He is probably one of the more unselfish guys in baseball.

Would be a shame if he left St. Louis. He owns that city.

http://yourenotagolfer.mlblogs.com/archive...s_49_hours.html

There's now, officially, an announced deadline in the Albert Pujols negotiations.

Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said Monday that talks between the team and agent Danny Lozano will come to an end on Wednesday, Feb. 16, at 11 a.m. CT. The deadline has been pushed back from Tuesday, partly out of respect for Stan Musial. "Stan the Man" will receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House on Tuesday.

"One of the things we wanted to make sure is, tomorrow's a very big day for Stan Musial," Mozeliak said on Monday morning. "And it wouldn't make any sense to have a large distraction for that special day, given the amount of respect we have for that man. So it only makes sense to make sure we weren't trying to have a lot of things going on, given what's happening tomorrow in Washington."

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)
I had never thought of him as a greedy player. Is there something that happened in the past that I don't recall?

Reading the story about how his draft negotiations went, the big contract he signed, and then hearing about these negotiations has put that feeling in my mind. Who knows if it is right or wrong, but that's the impression all of this has left me with.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
Reading the story about how his draft negotiations went, the big contract he signed, and then hearing about these negotiations has put that feeling in my mind. Who knows if it is right or wrong, but that's the impression all of this has left me with.

I guess it depends on how you define greedy.

It's a guy who's been paid $120 million in his career, but he's put up production worth $300 million for his team. The reason why he hasn't been paid $300 million already is that there are rules in place to protect the teams, but that doesn't mean he has to like the rules. I mean, how would you feel if someone created rules that required you to, I dunno, subsidize your neighbors mortgage with your own income? ;)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
Take it FWIW

@SI_JonHeyman one competing baseball exec told me he believes #cubs will offer pujols the a-rod deal ($10 mil, $27.5 mil/yr).

supposed to be 10 years of course, not 10 mil

so with Soriano that's about 45m a year for two players with Soriano giving you less and less every year. Also, I think he wants more than A-Rod, that's kind of the point. I think his eventual deal with whoever will be shorter but for more $$$ a year.

Garza is at around 5m this season and arb for next year, so either they extend him or he goes to arb you're looking at conservatively 7m. So for an awesome bat, an OK declining bat who is a complete liability in the OF and a very good pitcher the Cubs are at 52m. That's a lot of holes to fill. That's not even thinking about Zambrano and if they either dump him and eat some of the salary or have the 18m on the books... that easily turns into 60m for those three and pay for Z to go away or 70m for those 4 players.

I know some people like some of their young players, but I've never heard anyone say they have a great system filled with MLB ready talent ready to make this jump to fill that many holes cheaply.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
Take it FWIW

@SI_JonHeyman one competing baseball exec told me he believes #cubs will offer pujols the a-rod deal ($10 mil, $27.5 mil/yr).

They'd be nuts to do that deal. Still think the Cubs rumors are from Pujols' side trying to scare the Cardinals.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
Take it FWIW

I hope so. That deal will cripple the Cubs within a very short period of time. It will be just like Soriano. He will put up numbers at the beginning, but there is no way he will be worth that amount of money at 37-41 years old. It will also mean that the Cubs won't have the money to spend on other players to put around Poo_holes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
I hope so. That deal will cripple the Cubs within a very short period of time. It will be just like Soriano. He will put up numbers at the beginning, but there is no way he will be worth that amount of money at 37-41 years old. It will also mean that the Cubs won't have the money to spend on other players to put around Poo_holes.

They better hope that Vitters, Jackson, Cashner, and others pan out (and you know how often Cubs prospects pan out). If the Cards lose Pujols, they should take the money they had designated for him and go after Prince. Funny thing is that with all of this, the Reds have a chance to have the best team in that division if they can make some smart moves in the next few years.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
They better hope that Vitters, Jackson, Cashner, and others pan out (and you know how often Cubs prospects pan out). If the Cards lose Pujols, they should take the money they had designated for him and go after Prince. Funny thing is that with all of this, the Reds have a chance to have the best team in that division if they can make some smart moves in the next few years.

I can't argue with that. If Cincy's pitching holds up, they will be tough, and in a great payroll spot.