Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

Others receiving votes: Baylor 117, South Florida 97, Iowa 44, Utah 42, Georgia 35, Houston 31, Northwestern 30, Arizona 28, UCF 18, Hawaii 17, North Carolina 15, Michigan 15, NORIL 13, Clemson 13, Southern Miss 12, Air Force 10, Notre Dame 8, Tennessee 5, Brigham Young 4, Maryland 4, Georgia Tech 3, Washington 3, Texas Tech 1, California 1, Cincinnati 1

LOL since when is that an abbreviation for them?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like it's officially done.

http://tamu.scout.com/

"At tonight's SEC Presidents Meeting, early word filtering out from Atlanta indicates that Texas A&M received the sufficient votes to gain an invitation to join the Southeastern Conference effective 7/1/2012.

In other news, details are sketchy but sources also indicate that the SEC presidents gave SEC Commissioner Mike Slive the authority to negotiate with both Missouri and West Virginia to possibly be the fourteenth conference member"

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Others receiving votes: Baylor 117, South Florida 97, Iowa 44, Utah 42, Georgia 35, Houston 31, Northwestern 30, Arizona 28, UCF 18, Hawaii 17, North Carolina 15, Michigan 15, NORIL 13, Clemson 13, Southern Miss 12, Air Force 10, Notre Dame 8, Tennessee 5, Brigham Young 4, Maryland 4, Georgia Tech 3, Washington 3, Texas Tech 1, California 1, Cincinnati 1

LOL since when is that an abbreviation for them?

There's a New Orleans University at Rhode Island?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
Looks like it's officially done.

http://tamu.scout.com/

"At tonight's SEC Presidents Meeting, early word filtering out from Atlanta indicates that Texas A&M received the sufficient votes to gain an invitation to join the Southeastern Conference effective 7/1/2012.

In other news, details are sketchy but sources also indicate that the SEC presidents gave SEC Commissioner Mike Slive the authority to negotiate with both Missouri and West Virginia to possibly be the fourteenth conference member"

Their low academic standards for football will fit in nicely with the majority of the SEC.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)
I've guessed that Texas winds up independent to be honest. They can certainly pull it off. I wonder how the BCS restructures itself with one less conference.

They would need someone to take their other sports, id say f*** you if it didn't include football

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
I think we are just seeing the beginning of the movement once A&M gets it started. The issue would be that the Big East would have 20 basketball teams and 12 football teams already. If the SEC takes Clemson or VT from the ACC, where would the ACC turn? I also can't see the Big 10 expanding just to expand.

It's going to be an interesting September.

Clemson won't be put in the SEC, guaranteed.

Looks like tomorrow is finally the day college football is turned on its head.

SEC is supposed to vote unanimously for A&M's entrance.

The next likely moves are...

UT, TTU, OU, Okie State to the Pac 12

Mizzou, Kansas, KSU, and Iowa State to the Big East

The only school left would be Baylor, and they aren't happy about it.

:lolhitting

I don't think Texas is going to the Pac 12 nor the Big 10, because they'd have to give up their Longhorn network. I think they'll go the route of BYU and Notre Dame and become a football independent and find a conference home for their other sports. In fact, I could see NBC and Notre Dame expanding their partnership to include the other two and also bring Versus into the mix.

I could see it all playing out like this:

SEC adds Texas A&M and West Virginia

Pac 12 adds Oklahoma and Oklahoma State

Big 10 adds Pittsburgh and Rutgers

The remnants of the Big 12 and Big East remain as separate conferences for other sports, but merge into a single conference for football.

Big 10 is not going to add Pitt, unless the expansion is to 16 teams and the Big 10 misses on all of its first choices.

Right now Id expect the Big 10 to do nothing unless Texas goes to the Pac. If only OU, OSU, KU and MU go to the Pac, I really doubt the Big 10 does anything. If you read the tea leaves from Delany they are looking for "quality not quantity" and could have expanded to 16 last year if they wanted. What that means to me is that teams that the Big 10 could have added last year (MU, KU) do not necessarily interest Delany so much to increase the conference size right now.

My guess is that the Big 10's preference is to wait until they go to the 9 game schedule (which should be around the same time that their major network deals expire) before they expand further. Unlike the Pac who can easily break into a East/West and only screw ASU/UofA (and im not sure the Cali schools even care about them), the Big 10 really has no good way to split into 8 team divisions without breaking old rivalries.

Even at 9 games youd be looking at the following. 7 in division games, 2 out of division. 1 of those would most likely be "protected rivalry" meaning that some schools wouldnt play for 6-7 years at a time. That may be fine for the SEC/Pac but I think most Big 10 fans want to see Big 10 rivalries keep playing.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 6, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
So Heads, still confident the Big 12 won't fold?

Didn't take into account that Texas A&M would simply lie to everyone.

The fact that Baylor is the only one suing makes me feel better about ISU. There's actually rumors floating around our AD that we'll be better off where we land, but that could only mean one thing, and I'm not willing to believe it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
Big 10 is not going to add Pitt, unless the expansion is to 16 teams and the Big 10 misses on all of its first choices.

Right now Id expect the Big 10 to do nothing unless Texas goes to the Pac. If only OU, OSU, KU and MU go to the Pac, I really doubt the Big 10 does anything. If you read the tea leaves from Delany they are looking for "quality not quantity" and could have expanded to 16 last year if they wanted. What that means to me is that teams that the Big 10 could have added last year (MU, KU) do not necessarily interest Delany so much to increase the conference size right now.

My guess is that the Big 10's preference is to wait until they go to the 9 game schedule (which should be around the same time that their major network deals expire) before they expand further. Unlike the Pac who can easily break into a East/West and only screw ASU/UofA (and im not sure the Cali schools even care about them), the Big 10 really has no good way to split into 8 team divisions without breaking old rivalries.

Even at 9 games youd be looking at the following. 7 in division games, 2 out of division. 1 of those would most likely be "protected rivalry" meaning that some schools wouldnt play for 6-7 years at a time. That may be fine for the SEC/Pac but I think most Big 10 fans want to see Big 10 rivalries keep playing.

This. I hate the idea of super conferences. You're going to have a lot of TCU to the Big East type situations, where the geography makes no sense. Why sacrifice 100 years of great tradition just to make more money (that you don't even really need since the Big Ten rakes it in already)?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
So the newest of the new rumors is that Big 12 had a conference call this afternoon and Baylor is not backing down. On the same site (OU Scout) it is rumored that Big 10 would take OU and Texas, but no one else.

/shrugs

It is interesting how quiet the Big 10 has been. I wonder if they are just staying out of things, or if they have some targets behind the scenes they are keeping quiet.

Big 10 and Pac 10 are smart, they want SEC to do all the heavy lifting of breaking up conferences and then they swoop in for their targets. Big 10 and Pac 10 cant get sued if the SEC is the reason the conference fell apart.

Part of this mess is that the SEC doesnt want to destabilize the ACC. They know that if the ACC starts to splinter, the Big 10 is looking at UNC, Gtech, Maryland, Virginia, etc. The last thing the SEC wants is a Big 10 school in the south or the Big 10 network in every home in Georgia.