Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
Thats a f***ing quick haul.

No joke... A bunch of Tennessee fans were freaking out (myself not included) because we had 1 commit at the beginning of July and now we have 16. It was an awesome month with commits coming in waves. Now, we can sit back and be very selective on the rest of the class.

Suspensions handed out by the NCAA for Miami.

6 games--Olivier Vernon. He's a starter and missing him for that long will hurt but atleast its a position where there is talent behind him.

4 games--Ray Ray Armstrong safety, Dyron Dye. Armstrong will be missed because there isnt much behind him worth noting. Losing Dye has no impact at all.

1 game--Jacory Harris, Marcus Fortson DT, Sean Spence LB, Travis Benjamin, Adewale Ojomo DE. All are starters although Harris might not be. Losing the offensive players for the first game shouldnt really hurt but the game but the defense might be shaky at best.

All in all, not really that bad.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
Wow, can Posey, Adams and Herron go back and say they just took money instead of selling their own items? 1 games suspensions would have been nice.

Meanwhile, Georgia Tech gets harsher penalties than anyone for not even having their players do anything illegal in the long run. Oh well, we all know the NCAA is an absolute joke.

The NCAA still can slap around Miami because of infractions by past players. It's just that the current players at Miami are clean for the most part.

Miami working well with the NCAA and the pull that the school's president has must be working for them at the moment.

My future wagers:

86475579-1 8/27/11 12:10am $10.00 $120.00 Pending 9/1/11 8:00pm Football NCAA Football +1200 Big Ten Leaders Winner - Illinois

86475579-2 8/27/11 12:10am $20.00 $70.00 Pending 9/3/11 12:00pm Football NCAA Football +350 Conference USA West Winner - Tulsa

86475579-3 8/27/11 12:10am $15.00 $74.25 Pending 9/1/11 12:00pm Football NCAA Football +495 Mid American Champion - Ohio*

86475579-4 8/27/11 12:10am $10.00 $95.00 Pending 9/1/11 12:00pm Football NCAA Football +950 Mid American East Winner - Kent State

Going to add South Carolina winning the SEC East at +200 tomorrow.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
1st time in like 5 years, the Illini don't have to open with Mizzou. 1-0 here we come!!!!

Haha the article in the Trib about that cracked me up. I understand it completely, but I'm surprised what the players and coaches were saying about that. Comes off like they are scared of good teams.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 09:33 PM)
Haha the article in the Trib about that cracked me up. I understand it completely, but I'm surprised what the players and coaches were saying about that. Comes off like they are scared of good teams.

Ha, I made that post before I opened the Trib at home. Pretty solid front page with the I-0. The thing is we are talking Illinois football, not Ohio State, not Oregon. If you really want to schedule Mizzou, go ahead, but give the team some time to get focused, get confident.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
Ha, I made that post before I opened the Trib at home. Pretty solid front page with the I-0. The thing is we are talking Illinois football, not Ohio State, not Oregon. If you really want to schedule Mizzou, go ahead, but give the team some time to get focused, get confident.

Yeah absolutely. I always dreaded playing that game in week one. I feel like it was worse being the favorite because only once was Illinois expected to do anything preseason. Of course the 2007 match up was two great teams, but neither team was expected to be anywhere near as good as they were.

http://www.csnchicago.com/08/31/11/Notre-D...tm_medium=email

Notre Dame won't replace Texas A&M in Big 12

By JJ Stankevitz

CSNChicago.com

Texas A&M made its long-awaited announcement of its intent to leave the Big 12 Wednesday morning, presumably readying itself for a move to the SEC as early as next year. The Aggies' middle finger to the University of Texas will leave the Big 12 with nine teams until a replacement can be found, although commissioner Dan Beebe began exploring the conference's options before A&M's announcement.

One school the conference -- or, at least, Texas -- obviously would love to have is Notre Dame, but AD Jack Swarbrick told the Austin American-Statesman the Irish will continue to maintain their independent status.

That being said, even if Notre Dame decided it wanted to join a conference for football, the Big 12 would be an unlikely destination.

While coach Brian Kelly wouldn't rule out Notre Dame joining a conference in the future, it's a stretch to see the school shedding its independent status while the 16-team superconference remains more a legend than reality. But as soon as a BCS conference decides to expand to 16 teams -- the SEC will likely add A&M and a 14th, nothing more -- Notre Dame will be much more likely to latch on somewhere, as there could be serious bowl, or dare we say, playoff implications to being a member of a superconference.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...play-title-game

It makes sense (barring a team who cant play in postseason from the CCG), just surprised the Big 10 actually is doing it.

It doesn't make sense to me. Just because a team can't play in a bowl game, why can't they win their conference? Just give the automatic bid to the other division winner.

Well they are presumably banned from postseason is a punishment, so I prefer a conference who actually cares about rules and wants to have penalties. If you want to win the Big 10 conference you have to follow the rules.

Otherwise lets just get rid of all the nonsense and pay college football players.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
Well they are presumably banned from postseason is a punishment, so I prefer a conference who actually cares about rules and wants to have penalties. If you want to win the Big 10 conference you have to follow the rules.

Otherwise lets just get rid of all the nonsense and pay college football players.

They already do get paid.

So you let a team play in the big 10, but not let them win it? What's the point?

lol College athletes get "paid".

Anyways, the reason they still have to play is that other teams have that team scheduled as well. For example, if Wisconsin couldnt play OSU this year, Wisconsin would be penalized as well. That doesnt seem fair now does it?

So the penalized team still plays its games, it just cant reap the rewards.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
lol College athletes get "paid".

Anyways, the reason they still have to play is that other teams have that team scheduled as well. For example, if Wisconsin couldnt play OSU this year, Wisconsin would be penalized as well. That doesnt seem fair now does it?

So the penalized team still plays its games, it just cant reap the rewards.

Do you think Miami & Cam Newton are the only players who got paid? Money exchanges hands like that at every university.

It also doesn't seem fair to make a team play for no prize at the end. Especially when it's players who had nothing to do with the violations that occured.