Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

No way is Miami getting the death sentence. If the ACC loses Miami, that will set off even more conference realignment which the NCAA/ESPN are so desperately trying to prevent.

The whole thing is a joke anyways, I could care less what benefits a kid gets after hes in college. Just cant give him benefits before hes in, thats my opinion at least.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
No way is Miami getting the death sentence. If the ACC loses Miami, that will set off even more conference realignment which the NCAA/ESPN are so desperately trying to prevent.

The whole thing is a joke anyways, I could care less what benefits a kid gets after hes in college. Just cant give him benefits before hes in, thats my opinion at least.

Read the report. That's a big part of this scandal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
Today at 3pm, its supposed to be revealed who the bag man was that paid for Cam Newton.

I guess Danny Sheridan is on the radio now and he refuses to give the name up, even though he kept saying he would.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
I guess Danny Sheridan is on the radio now and he refuses to give the name up, even though he kept saying he would.

Eventually it will come out you would think. We all know they paid 200k+ for Cam Newton.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
I wonder if Seantreal Henderson is going to transfer again. He seems to be a compliance jinx.

Well it would be the best time for him to do so since he's out for the season because of back surgery.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
My point is they haven't been to a BCS Bowl the last 7 seasons, even with all of this cheating going on. You'd think cheating on this level would be worth more than that.

I think this is getting thrown around a little too much.

From the sounds of it, the majority of these players started getting benefits after getting on campus.

Maybe this booster should have spent his stolen money on securing the top recruits.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
Notre Dame is a money powerhouse in a way that Miami currently is not though. The Death Sentence for Notre Dame costs a ton of people a ton of money. The Death Sentence for Miami doesn't feel like it changes much to me. If I were buying people for one of the top flight SEC schools, Miami getting the death sentence wouldn't scare me.

Miami isnt going to get the death penalty because it will cost the NCAA millions of dollars. There are tv contracts(ACC just signed a new deal) and the possibility of ruining a university to consider. The NCAA doesnt want another SMU on their hands.

Miami is working with the NCAA on this and isnt trying to cover anything up. Nothing points to Shannon or Coker having any part and that is a plus. Also the ADs and coaches who were around during these allegations arent with the school anymore.

I'm going to guess worst case is USC type probation.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
Miami isnt going to get the death penalty because it will cost the NCAA millions of dollars. There are tv contracts(ACC just signed a new deal) and the possibility of ruining a university to consider. The NCAA doesnt want another SMU on their hands.

Miami is working with the NCAA on this and isnt trying to cover anything up. Nothing points to Shannon or Coker having any part and that is a plus. Also the ADs and coaches who were around during these allegations arent with the school anymore.

I'm going to guess worst case is USC type probation.

One thing people forget is that USC committed 41 violations. Thats why their penalty was so terrible.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
The Gophers are really the only team he considered that isnt being investigated.

There hasnt been any talk on the Miami boards about him wanting to leave. Unless he really misses home, it's probably in his best interest to stay and rehab and then have a monster 2012 and leave for the NFL.

I wish this expansion stuff would just be over. As a Big 10 fan Im not really excited about adding schools just to add them. In my opinion being a part of the Big 10 is more than just the football teams, it has to do with where you grew up, your friends etc. Also I didnt go to Wisconsin for football/basketball and while I understand being good at those sports has a relation to how the college is viewed, I really dont want to add schools that will bring down the academic perception of the Big 10.

That being said, if the Big 10 was going to expand, Id hope to pillage schools like UNC, Duke, Maryland, Virginia, GTech, etc. They may not be football powers, but they all are high quality academic schools and would give the Big 10 more access in the south (although part of me wonders if the Big 10 should just stick with northern schools).

If you are reading tea leaves, there is definitely something going on with Pac, Big and SEC just because they were the 3 conferences not invited to the ACC/Big 12/Big East meeting. Historically the Pac and Big have been somewhat in alliance so my guess is that if there are going to moves, they make them at similar times.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
I wish this expansion stuff would just be over. As a Big 10 fan Im not really excited about adding schools just to add them. In my opinion being a part of the Big 10 is more than just the football teams, it has to do with where you grew up, your friends etc. Also I didnt go to Wisconsin for football/basketball and while I understand being good at those sports has a relation to how the college is viewed, I really dont want to add schools that will bring down the academic perception of the Big 10.

That being said, if the Big 10 was going to expand, Id hope to pillage schools like UNC, Duke, Maryland, Virginia, GTech, etc. They may not be football powers, but they all are high quality academic schools and would give the Big 10 more access in the south (although part of me wonders if the Big 10 should just stick with northern schools).

If you are reading tea leaves, there is definitely something going on with Pac, Big and SEC just because they were the 3 conferences not invited to the ACC/Big 12/Big East meeting. Historically the Pac and Big have been somewhat in alliance so my guess is that if there are going to moves, they make them at similar times.

Academics have no part of it or Nebraska wouldn't be in the Big Ten.

Well Nebraska isnt the worst school on earth and when the Big 10 invited them they were part of the AAU. My only hope for them is that Warren Buffett keeps funneling money to them and that they eventually become respectable.

I disagree that academics have no part though, here is the Wisconsin's Chancellor said about AAU membership:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ca...au-membership/1

Wisconsin Chancellor Carolyn "Biddy" Martin told the Wisconsin State Journal last summer, "My view was that we really needed to add institutions that were AAU universities.

The Big 10 also was put in a bad spot last year in that it was possible Pac 10 was going to 16 and if Big 10 didnt act they may have lost the chance at Nebraska, so I think they acted to quickly. Im coming around to the Nebraska addition, but in terms of what it brought to the academic side I was pretty annoyed they lost their AAU membership.

US Today has Nebraska at 104, ideally being in the Big 10 and getting some of he overflow from other Big 10 schools will push that up a notch so they are in the MSU range.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
Heavily recruited by USC, OSU, Miami

He's the mush.

Seantrel was the #1 player in the nation for his class throughout almost the whole process (on rivals). Ended up #2 I think. Every school in America would want him if he transferred, even if his back is a problem.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
Eventually it will come out you would think. We all know they paid 200k+ for Cam Newton.

It'll come out. It's impossible to keep something like that secret nowadays. I'm sure Auburn is hoping to keep it a secret for 4 years and 1 day though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
Well Nebraska isnt the worst school on earth and when the Big 10 invited them they were part of the AAU. My only hope for them is that Warren Buffett keeps funneling money to them and that they eventually become respectable.

I disagree that academics have no part though, here is the Wisconsin's Chancellor said about AAU membership:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ca...au-membership/1

The Big 10 also was put in a bad spot last year in that it was possible Pac 10 was going to 16 and if Big 10 didnt act they may have lost the chance at Nebraska, so I think they acted to quickly. Im coming around to the Nebraska addition, but in terms of what it brought to the academic side I was pretty annoyed they lost their AAU membership.

US Today has Nebraska at 104, ideally being in the Big 10 and getting some of he overflow from other Big 10 schools will push that up a notch so they are in the MSU range.

My point is that if you're b****ing about potential new schools bringing down Big Ten academics, none are below Nebraska's level. That's not to demean Nebraska, but if you're satisfied with Nebraska you'd be satisfied with the other universities being talked about in further Big Ten expansion.

I just don't get why you should care about Nebraska's academics as a Wisconsin grad. It's the epitome of Big Ten snobbishness.

Why I care about the academics of the conference that I attended? I dont know, maybe because the reason I went to the school/conference was for academics?

Just because I can live with Nebraska, does not mean that I am going to change my opinion on who the Big 10 should be looking to add. Ive even thought to myself that the Big 10 may have erred by offering Nebraska last year only to find out later that better schools would become available.

I understand why Missouri fans believe that they deserve to be in the Big 10, but arguing that academics shouldnt matter isnt the way to convince people. If anything it supports the Big Ten snoobishness that believes Missouri doesnt care as much about academics as the rest of the Big 10.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
Why I care about the academics of the conference that I attended? I dont know, maybe because the reason I went to the school/conference was for academics?

Just because I can live with Nebraska, does not mean that I am going to change my opinion on who the Big 10 should be looking to add. Ive even thought to myself that the Big 10 may have erred by offering Nebraska last year only to find out later that better schools would become available.

I understand why Missouri fans believe that they deserve to be in the Big 10, but arguing that academics shouldnt matter isnt the way to convince people. If anything it supports the Big Ten snoobishness that believes Missouri doesnt care as much about academics as the rest of the Big 10.

Academics only matter for your university. Nebraska's inclusion into the Big Ten has no impact on your degree's value.

I wasn't trying to convince you about Missouri, nor did I mention them once. I simply said that academics played no part whatsoever in the Big Ten's decision to add Nebraska or they wouldn't be in the Big Ten.

Not really, the Big 10 shares resources so the better the schools you are sharing with, the better the overall reputation. This isnt really rocket science. For example, lets say that Notre Dame became part of the Ivy League, would that have no impact on Notre Dame's academic prestige? The answer is no, it would obviously make ND look like a better academic school, even if the school was exactly the same as the year before.

Furthermore, if the Ivy League added Phoenix University to their conference would it hurt the other Ivy League schools perception? Of course, you are judged by those who you associate with.

You didnt have to mention Missouri, the only fans who argue that the Big 10 doesnt care about academics or that it played no role in whether or not Nebraska was accepted, are Missouri fans.

The entire premise of your argument is faulty, "academics played no part whatsoever in the Big Ten's decision to add Nebraska or they wouldn't be in the Big Ten. ".

Just because Nebraska was eventually let into the Big 10, does not mean academics played no role. Academics played a role, just the Chancellors/Presidents of the Big 10 were convinced that Nebraska's academics were not so much of a concern to prevent their entrance.

Its not mutually exclusive like you are trying to make it appear, Big 10 can care about academics and admit Nebraska at the same time.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
Its not mutually exclusive like you are trying to make it appear, Big 10 can care about academics and admit Nebraska at the same time.

Sure, but the standards probably aren't as high as you are making them out to be. You can't be ok with Nebraska's admission and worry about other schools entering the league. You would be fine with adding Nebraska, academically, and not with any of the other schools being talked about? Name a school that you wouldn't want to enter the Big Ten for academic reasons. It's not like there are rumors of NW Generic State College being admitted.

Missouri takes their role as a state school seriously. They keep education options open in their state. What you are talking about means nothing except being more selective over students, not educating them. I'll put a Big 10 education up against mine any day. That goes double for Nebraska.