Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
Espn saying A&M to the SEC is official and announced Monday.

Looks like Clemson and FSU are joining as well. Also rumors Mizzou might be going with A&M to the SEC West. That would be an insane conference each and every week.

It seems Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State would be off to the Pac 12 if Mizzou finally finishes off the Big 12.

Would Kansas, KSU, ISU, and Baylor have invites to the Big East?

The ACC would certainly be left in disarray and would be competing with the Big East to form the 4th super conference.

Edited by Palehosefan

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/sports/s...&ref=sports

Eleven of the 12 Southeastern Conference presidents will meet Sunday at a secret location to discuss the admission of Texas A&M to the league, according to a high-ranking SEC official with first-hand knowledge of the talks.

The official said there was a 30 to 40 percent chance that the presidents could vote against Texas A&M’s membership. He also said there was the issue of which university would become the 14th team, something many in college sports will monitor.

“We realize if we do this, we have to have the 14th,” the SEC official said. “No name has been thrown out. This thing is much slower out of the chute than the media and blogs have made it.”

The official said that three weeks ago, Texas A&M’s president, R. Bowen Loftin, called the SEC commissioner, Mike Slive, and said the Aggies regretted not joining the league last summer. Two weeks ago, Slive and the SEC counsel met with Texas A&M officials. The SEC requested that Texas A&M figure out the legal viability of leaving the Big 12 contract they signed last year.

“They have a contract now,” the SEC official said. “We’re very sensitive about being part of breaking a contract. What we asked them to do was to go settle their issues and not have us be on the table as the agent of causing them to leave.”

The SEC official said he wondered if the SEC presidents would vote for A&M only if they were assured that a team from within one of their states — Florida State, Clemson or Georgia Tech, for example — would not be added.

“I’m going to try and say, don’t bring it up now,” the SEC official said. “That shouldn’t be a condition or part of the negotiation for this next issue. But it could.”

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
Just a quick question (if it can be even answered quick). Why are teams jumping conferences like this? Is it strictly a $$$ issue?

As usual, it's all about money. Trying to extend their TV viewership's into new TV markets.

A&M gets the SEC into the Houston market and Texas recruiting for instance. The Pac is wanting to extend into the central timezone.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
Just a quick question (if it can be even answered quick). Why are teams jumping conferences like this? Is it strictly a $$$ issue?

Texas has suddenly taken over the whole Big 12, by having their own deal with ESPN (IIRC) and starting their own "longhorn network". A&M is staring at being the baby university in the state of Texas. Instead, if they can hop over to the SEC, they can bring teams like Bama, Florida, etc., into their stadium and maybe even have some conference strength bragging rights.

The SEC gets the market access, both Houston and Dallas while they're at it, the Aggies get out of Texas's shadow.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
Texas has suddenly taken over the whole Big 12, by having their own deal with ESPN (IIRC) and starting their own "longhorn network". A&M is staring at being the baby university in the state of Texas. Instead, if they can hop over to the SEC, they can bring teams like Bama, Florida, etc., into their stadium and maybe even have some conference strength bragging rights.

The SEC gets the market access, both Houston and Dallas while they're at it, the Aggies get out of Texas's shadow.

Texas couldn't continue to have this much power over A&M, Mizzou, Oklahoma, and Kansas, and to a lesser degree Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.

If the Big 12 was made up of Iowa State, Kansas State, and MAC teams, then sure, they could exercise that power. If Mizzou leaves with A&M, it'll be death to the Big 12.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
Part of me wants Mizzou to jump to the SEC so I can be one of the pompous a-holes bragging about how much better my school's conference is, but for the most part I don't want to go 7-5 every year.

If Auburn can pull off an SEC win, doesn't that pretty much mean almost any team in the SEC (other than Kentucky and Vandy) can legitimately win that conference?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
If Auburn can pull off an SEC win, doesn't that pretty much mean almost any team in the SEC (other than Kentucky and Vandy) can legitimately win that conference?

Ignoring the player they bought in Cam Newton, I think you are underestimating Auburn as a program. They are 13th all time in wins. They are above Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. They would be above Clemson, A&M, and Mizzou as well.

But I do agree with your point. Who would have ever seen a perennial doormat in South Carolina step up and win a SEC division?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
Ignoring the player they bought in Cam Newton, I think you are underestimating Auburn as a program. They are 13th all time in wins. They are above Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. They would be above Clemson, A&M, and Mizzou as well.

But I do agree with your point. Who would have ever seen a perennial doormat in South Carolina step up and win a SEC division?

And all it took was Florida, Georgia and Tennessee to hit a downward turn.

No one 10 years ago would have thought South Carolina would win the East division but they still lost 3 conference games. Not like they were a top tier team.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
Part of me wants Mizzou to jump to the SEC so I can be one of the pompous a-holes bragging about how much better my school's conference is, but for the most part I don't want to go 7-5 every year.

I was going to tell you that atleast Missouri will be going to an easier basketball conference and could compete for conference titles. But then I remembered that you stole Haith from us...

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
I was going to tell you that atleast Missouri will be going to an easier basketball conference and could compete for conference titles. But then I remembered that you stole Haith from us...

Ha I believe the phrase you were going for was 'took him off your hands for you.' He's recruiting well so far so at least he's doing what he's known for. I'm trying to stay optimistic at least until I see him coach a game.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
Enough haterade about my South Carolina team!!

'Doormat' and mired in mediocrity aren't the same thing. We're a 500 program over the life of football, not a complete assclown team.

No disrespect meant. You guys have a .500 program, but you always had great fan support. Now you are getting top recruits and consistently winning. I just vividly remember your 98-99 seasons.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
Enough haterade about my South Carolina team!!

'Doormat' and mired in mediocrity aren't the same thing. We're a 500 program over the life of football, not a complete assclown team.

They look like they will be pretty good this year

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 12:59 AM)
No disrespect meant. You guys have a .500 program, but you always had great fan support. Now you are getting top recruits and consistently winning. I just vividly remember your 98-99 seasons.

I still try to forget 98 and 99 ever happened. No excuse for that abomination of a performance...

SEC statement:

“The SEC Presidents and Chancellors met today and reaffirmed our satisfaction with the present 12 institutional alignment. We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league. We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion. No action was taken with respect to any institution including Texas A&M.”

So they're staying at 12, for now. Texas A&M is still not long for the Big 12, but I think everybody got a little ahead of themselves here, kind of like we saw last summer. Even I, the guy who says the Big 12 isn't going to last long, didn't think things would happen this fast.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
SEC statement:

So they're staying at 12, for now. Texas A&M is still not long for the Big 12, but I think everybody got a little ahead of themselves here, kind of like we saw last summer. Even I, the guy who says the Big 12 isn't going to last long, didn't think things would happen this fast.

Doesn't really affect anything at the moment. A&M has to meet, and then apply for the SEC. The SEC will then vote on whether or not to stay at 12.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
Doesn't really affect anything at the moment. A&M has to meet, and then apply for the SEC. The SEC will then vote on whether or not to stay at 12.

Ha, I didn't even know they hadn't done that yet. It would certainly make sense for the SEC to say that today, in that case.

ND has held out this long from joining a conference, no way do they join the Big 12 at this point.

One thing has changed recently that might affect Notre Dame's thinking. The Big Ten+2 has decided to go to a 9-game conference schedule beginning in 2013, which cuts down the non-conference schedule to 3 games. Other than Purdue, Big Ten teams are probably going to be reluctant to continue scheduling ND every year, because they're going to neeed more home games. Losing a source of opponents may push ND towards joining a conference.

Of course, on the flip side of this is that having a 9-game conference schedule makes actually joining the Big Ten less appealing to ND, who wants to play games all over the country and not just in the Midwest.