Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

DA,

If I could have my choice itd be a 30-40 degree sunny day. But I dont mind any weather, rain, snow, etc. I think that the elements are part of football. Some games you have nice weather, other games not so much. I like the unpredictability because I think being able to handle the elements is part of football.

---

And its strange that Nebraska is now in the Big 10 and they are playing Nebraska stuff on the Big 10 Network.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe it's just me, but the NCAA really seems to be regulating more than ever right now - GT loses '09 ACC championship and has to pay a $100k fine.

LSU also being investigated for involvement with Willie Lyles.

ESPN continues to show why they are a joke...

link

Bruce Feldman, one of the best college football writers in the nation as well as an accomplished author, was suspended indefinitely by ESPN during a conference call with three network officials Thursday morning.

According to Sports By Brooks, Feldman has been banned from writing on any ESPN format, is barred from appearing on any ESPN platform such as television or radio, is not allowed to use his Twitter account and cannot participate in any promotion of Mike Leach's recently released book Swing Your Sword, in which Feldman played a role.

Leach, of course, is the former Texas Tech head coach whose contract was terminated by the school in 2009. His famous departure from the school stemmed from complaints about his alleged treatment of Adam James, the son of ESPN college football analyst Craig James. Yes, unfortunately, the connection can be made right there.

Even before Leach was let go by the Red Raiders, Feldman had agreed in principle to help the coach with his book. According to the report, following the drama in Lubbock, Feldman was only going to participate in the project if he garnered approval from ESPN management, which he did, per the report.

And as Brooks astutely mentions, Feldman has not promoted or mentioned the Leach book on his Twitter account or ESPN blog. However, ESPN Vice President and Director of News Vince Doria, ESPN The Magazine Editor-in-Chief & ESPN Books Editorial Director Gary Hoenig, and ESPN.com Editor-in-Chief Pat Stiegman told Feldman that he was being suspended indefinitely for his participation in the book.

First off, I've only crossed paths in-person with Feldman one time, which came this past February at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, and I was as impressed with his professionalism as anyone I've ever met. Second, being suspended for his role in Leach's book is nothing short of an absolute travesty, especially if he truly was given the 'OK' by ESPN management.

While the suspension is absurd, we can only hope that Feldman is back on the job in time for the 2011 college football campaign, contributing his expertise on a variety of platforms.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
The GT sanctions are a crock of s***. All over 312 dollars worth of clothes that they couldn't even prove were provided by a street runner.

They're getting punished more because they were totally uncooperative the entire time and tried to cover it up

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
They're getting punished more because they were totally uncooperative the entire time and tried to cover it up

Yeah, they deserve a fine, but no reason to lose ACC Championship considering that they didn't play anyone who was deemed ineligible. As for the basketball violations, if they start busting teams for having coaches take illegal recruiting notes for tournaments that are held near their campus, they might as well just put every college basketball program on probation now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
Yeah, they deserve a fine, but no reason to lose ACC Championship considering that they didn't play anyone who was deemed ineligible. As for the basketball violations, if they start busting teams for having coaches take illegal recruiting notes for tournaments that are held near their campus, they might as well just put every college basketball program on probation now.

Again, I don't think is so much about what they actually did, but about the attempt to cover it up and being so uncooperative about the whole thing. I think that's what they're are being punished for. The NCAA is ultra-sensitive right now after the whole Ohio State thing. I think this is a major overkill, but if they had just made it easier they would have gotten off much more lightly. It'll be interesting to see how this decision affects what's going to happen to Ohio State.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
Again, I don't think is so much about what they actually did, but about the attempt to cover it up and being so uncooperative about the whole thing. I think that's what they're are being punished for. The NCAA is ultra-sensitive right now after the whole Ohio State thing. I think this is a major overkill, but if they had just made it easier they would have gotten off much more lightly. It'll be interesting to see how this decision affects what's going to happen to Ohio State.

Exactly.

It's just like Bruce Pearl. His actual violation was secondary in nature and probably would have resulted in small penalties (e.g. can't recruit off-campus for a month or something like that)... But, it was lying/being uncooperative with the NCAA that brought bigger charges and lost him his job.

Link

USC tailback Marc Tyler has been suspended for the Sept. 3 season opener against Minnesota, and possibly longer, for the latest in a string of off-the-field incidents, the school announced Monday.

Tyler, a fifth-year senior who was USC's leading rusher last season, was recorded by TMZ.com outside a nightclub last week and made comments that embarrassed the university.

Interesting that the LAT didn't spell out what he actually said.

In the video, the videographer asks the visibly intoxicated Tyler if he "got paid more at USC or right now in [the] pros?" To which Tyler enthusiastically responded "USC, they breaking bread!"

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
This Texas A&M to the SEC s*** is getting old, and fast.

I know a lot of Big 12 fans don't want to hear it, but the conference is not going to last. I'd be STUNNED if it lasts longer than 5 more years. The Longhorn Network is just too big an advantage for one school. In addition to the reasons we already knew it was, now the network is saying it'll air games of top guys Texas is recruiting. That doesn't even sound legal to me, but he wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. Talk about a recruiting edge for a school that doesn't need one.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
I know a lot of Big 12 fans don't want to hear it, but the conference is not going to last. I'd be STUNNED if it lasts longer than 5 more years. The Longhorn Network is just too big an advantage for one school. In addition to the reasons we already knew it was, now the network is saying it'll air games of top guys Texas is recruiting. That doesn't even sound legal to me, but he wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. Talk about a recruiting edge for a school that doesn't need one.

Yeah, the Big 12 days are numbered. Texas will probably go the independent route for a year or two as the SEC, Pac 12 and Big 10 try to recruit them to their 16 team mega conferences. TAMU will bolt to the SEC so they can secure a spot before the dominoes falling. I could see OU in the Pac 12. Mizzou,OK St, both Kansas schools see where the chips fall and Iowa St,Baylor,Texas Tech is left scrambling for scraps.

Then there is the Big East teams that will get interest from the Big 10 and ACC because of their markets(if the Big East doesnt try to stay together).

Going to be an interesting 10 years in college football.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)

All the schools knew it was coming, they shouldn't act surprised.

Also, they are no longer going to be able to do that, and the latest discussion is that the Longhorn Network may not happen, and instead all schools will share one network. The situation is fluid, and no offense 101, those making these predictions have ZERO CLUE about the dynamics involved.